It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do memebers leave ATS or just change names?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I could swear I have had debates/arguments with new members who could pass for members I don't see around much anymore, has anyone else noticed this?Is it common?Does anyone know of any former members who changed names?Am I crazy?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I would think so that they changed their "identity", but who knows

People do this because, well, the get scared from other people, so they think if they change their names, they get a clean start, i hope

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I, for one, believe they leave ATS. (One of your choices.)

I have all but left but still lurk occasionally.

The reason I no longer participate?

Mostly the Anti-Obama and "Birther" threads that the OP is notorious for.

I honestly don't know what makes some folks so ignorant, but whatever it is still seems to be working.

I now prefer On-Line Scrabble. It requires intelligence and brain power to participate.

Miss me?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by noobsauce13

I have heard that people change names on here all the time. Some change their names because they do not like their screename, and others change names because of a collection of embarrassing posts. I would also imagine that some who are banned change names and think that the administration can not see their IP address and realize they were just banned again.

I don't see any difference though. Either one keeps a screen name , or they don't.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I now prefer On-Line Scrabble. It requires intelligence and brain power to participate.

I used to play online scrabble... LOVE scrabble... yes I'm a geek

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Don't forget how many of us lurked for "very long" before joining officially.

Some of us have a few "worries" about "being here" for all sorts of reasons, so they lurk for a year or two...then decide "screw it!"

Then they join.

And are watched.

And then..paranoia strikes its hardest as you see certain people doing certain "things" that make you think "you were right with your fears in not joining".

Then you leave.

And possibly return again.

But, if you do not rejoin...you will surly "lurk" as before.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

A little lol
Good luck in your scrabble endeavors and still stop by once in a while(not to much though lol)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
I could swear I have had debates/arguments with new members who could pass for members I don't see around much anymore, has anyone else noticed this?Is it common?Does anyone know of any former members who changed names?Am I crazy?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

to be absolutely clear, I have re-registered here, after being banned under the user name, Light Bender Kev.

I'm pretty open to name calling, but, don't call me crazy, unless you spell it with a "k".

;D

Who knows about others, it's always possible!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I, for one, believe they leave ATS. (One of your choices.)

I have all but left but still lurk occasionally.

The reason I no longer participate?

Mostly the Anti-Obama and "Birther" threads that the OP is notorious for.

I honestly don't know what makes some folks so ignorant, but whatever it is still seems to be working.

Miss me?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kinda kurious]

jeez, judging by that moniker! I sure am!

come out and play more often, you may be surprised to find out what else no longer lurks in the night!

heehee

edit note:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 7/1/2010 by EnemyCombatant74]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Don't forget how many of us lurked for "very long" before joining officially.

Some of us have a few "worries" about "being here" for all sorts of reasons, so they lurk for a year or two...then decide "screw it!"

Then they join.

And are watched.

And then..paranoia strikes its hardest as you see certain people doing certain "things" that make you think "you were right with your fears in not joining".

Then you leave.

And possibly return again.

But, if you do not rejoin...you will surly "lurk" as before.

Hope that helps.

It does. Help I mean. And the admins, have already demonstrated by allowing me to post here, that once banned, your ip is not entirely restricted. There's just a contractual obligation that has to be maintained in order to keep posting here.

Which is simple, and fair enough. Especially if you enjoy what you do for a living. After all, "if you enjoy your job, you'll never work a day in your life".

My Mom slid me that one when i wasn't paying attention, the depth of its scope still hits me everytime i hear it again....so true!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
So you were banned, and then upon registering with a new name you did a triple post? Good work..

Weren't you claiming to be an alien or something under your old name?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

You're more than likely coming up against a member who was banned.

They then came back as a "new member" and continued their positions.

That's the only thing I can think of that fits that.

I've been here for over four years now and I see people come and go.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
So you were banned, and then upon registering with a new name you did a triple post? Good work..

Weren't you claiming to be an alien or something under your old name?

oops! triple post, sounds like a hat trick, which can be a good thing where I come from!

Apologies!

But yes, temporarily admitted back into the forum, barring certain OPs, if someone would care to validate what I suspect that to mean. Tho I am, unsure.

No, I never claimed to be an alien, though I am not closed off to seeing some kind of evidentiary(sp?) procedure. Footprint perhaps? Maybe, finger?

Everything should be kool this time around though...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I can honestly say i have only ever registered under this name but i do love a good argument lol

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Perhaps the OP would gain some insight by learning the definition of insanity as promulgated by most 12 Step programs.

......Repeating the same actions and hoping for a different outcome etc....

Must be losing the same arguments over and over again.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

See that was to much,I liked you better when you were gone.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

In the spirit of Scrabble prowess....I believe you meant too.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

In the spirit of Scrabble prowess....I believe you meant too.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by kinda kurious]

See, now, apart from the name of course, I like this guy already! Thank goodness for the winter time! A time for picking up the leaves of fall, and nest~ling in for some good quiet snow driven entertainment! Just in time to appreciate the beauty of springing forth from the catacombs of the over nestled.

But alas, it was afternoon prayer time not long ago, and now I ramble pointlessly!

Or was there a point....oh yea! I like this guy!

edit note: wondering where Waldo AND Don Cherry are right now!

[edit on 8/1/2010 by EnemyCombatant74]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yes, some people who are banned come back under a different name. The Mods are generally quick to spot such offenders, but if sometimes if people turn a new leaf and behave under their new name, they are granted a pass under a watchful eye.

Of course there are bound to be people who register and re-register multiple times and spout the same posts or viewpoints. They may not exactly be Disinfo Agents, or Agents Provocateur, but they are certainly grinding whatever ax they have and trying to pad up their argument with fictitious choruses of agreement from their alter-ego accounts.

There are also people that go. Some come back every once in a while, some never do. Some forget their credentials and no longer have access to the e-mail account on file so they have to create a new account when they return.

Most of all, as with any Online Community, people drag their friends to it, who probably have similar viewpoints and share the same mannerisms. Joe American decides he doesn't like the Fox Hysteria bashing on ATS, so he drags all of his pro-FOX friends unto ATS to counter the "liberal" anti-FOX element that he dislikes and disagrees with.

There are a lot of different possibilities. Not all of them have to be violations of the T.o.S.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ouch that one really hurt.Darn I always get that wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join