It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you for or against Gay Marriage?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I'm anti-marriage all the way, not gay marriage but marriage altogether. It's a bizarre social religious ritual that has become irrelevant. Just like many ancient religions are in decline without adapting so to are the rituals surrounding them. What's the divorce rate now? I'm assuming it's absurdly high and only rising, it was last I checked (except maybe in this economy divorce is too expensive).

So why bother with marriage at all? We should ban marriage altogether or

Let the religious get married only and call the socioeconomic version a "Civil Union" or "Registered Couple" or something. All I know is heterosexual marriage isn't working, it's failing miserably, so while I'm all for equality I think marriage itself is going the way of the dodo. In the meantime, while marriage itself is dying, we can let gay people get married if they want to though.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
why isn't this in skunkworks?

come on mods, stay on the ball

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
I am totally in support of gay marriage.... as long as it is indeed marriage:

Marriage is a sacrament of devotion where you are committing yourself into a relationship of love and care for the rest of your entire lives.

LOL after the marriage definition, i don't think ANYONE would want to get married.

as for me, i'm for gay marriage but then again whoever isn't is probably a chauvinistic sexist super-religious homophobe.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

Flame much?

Marriage is not for the timid. If you truly love someone and luckily I have someone like that then spending your lifetime with them isn't so bad. Find a psycho woman that doesn't give two figs about you then yes you probably aren't going to have a long lasting meaningful marriage.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by av8r007]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I dont think its in the governments purview to sanctify marriage in any way shape or form .

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am 100% for gays being able to marry.

Equal rights for everyone.

If a gay man wants to marry a woman nobody should stop him.

Same thing if a gay woman wants to marry a man.

Equal rights for all....special rights for none.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Gay marriage... I could absolutely not care less. If gay people want to get married then get married. If any particular religious sect wants to not recognize gay marriages as legit then within your church, by all means don't recognize them, it is the right of the church to make that decision, and not perform the rites for gays.

However for religious people to say that the government shouldn't recognize them, well that is just BS. Keep your religion to yourselves.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

If a gay man wants to marry a woman nobody should stop him.

Same thing if a gay woman wants to marry a man.

That was subtle wasn't it? Anyone else catch that?

What if a gay man wants to marry a gay man?

Or a gay woman wants to marry a gay woman?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
why would ANYONE care about gay marriage? I mean, WTH ... dont u have anything else to do

It's a learned behavior.. from the US govt caring to death about what goes on 6000 miles away.

Strangers and the govt should have no business in how people choose to define their interpersonal relationships. If two, or three, or whatever, people scribble "Weere merriD!" with a sharpie on toilet paper and that's good enough for them.. why should anyone else care?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
My thread is exactly that. I also want to know WHY.

I am fine with gay marriage, why? It's a right anyone should have.

Being gay and married, my answer is obvious.

However I do have some issues with the entire subject.

It doesn't need to be called Marriage. Marriage is a religious thing, always has been always will be, and if the churches don't wanna mary same sex couples that is their right.

However, it should be a civil union, the only problem with that today is that they do not afford the same legal rights as a "marriage" does and they are not looked at as being equal.

This is the only problem.

As long as we all get the same tax breaks, the same hospital rights and the same everything else, then it really doesnt' matter what it's called.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Dont care one way or the other but I do not think they should be able to adopt children.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I am strictly in support of the gay/lesbian wedding. Let the people live their life as they want to be, its their life and they are only responsible behind anything gonna happen. In fact I offer them the Gay Wedding Insurance , if they are in need.
Sam Driscoll

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm all for same-sex marriage. I also believe that in the eyes of the state it should be called the same thing as opposite-sex marriage and given all of the same benefits and rights.

However I would never try to force same-sex unions on religions at all, it's their right to do as they see fit for their own religion. To the people who wish to force their religious views against same-sex marriage on society at large though, I would fight against in the context of the government's view of marriage.

I am a married man myself, with a wonderful wife, and I do not feel my marriage threatened at all by same-sex marriage.

Edit: I am also for ending tax benefits for simply being married too though, keep them for children for sure, but I really do not see the reason why people who do not get married should pay more in taxes than people who do.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by ProjectJimmy]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
110% for, I think the union between anyone be homosexual or heterosexual is a beautiful happy event. If they Church doesn't want to acknowledge it that's fine but the government and church are separate therefore there is no reason to say no.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Absolutely for it because there are far too many legal issues arising from the lack of allowance of it.

Also, I have never seen an argument against it that did not involve bigotry or religious oppression. In other words, I've never seen a valid argument presented against it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I support human rights, so I support gay marriage. Simple as that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join