It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lower Back Pain and Sciatica - Self-Treatment!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh, my gosh I have been having this problems for a month already do to the type of aerobic exercise I do!!!!!!!!!!!

I been on pain killers and having the flare ups for a year already getting worst as time goes by.

Thank you, I am heading today to a massage therapist to see if I can see improvements before heading for my doctor and take the hated steroids drugs for inflamation that probably will be prescribed to me.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

DO NOT take steroids for long time use!!!
They can RUIN your bones! ursulakelly.tripod.com...

Osteoporosis can occur within a matter of months. Steroids cause 8 per cent reduction in bone mass after four months (Ann Int Med, November 15, 1993), the equivalent of the effect on your bones of having your ovaries removed. Even low doses of inhaled steroids (400 micrograms per day) reduce bone formation (The Lancet, July 6, 1991).
Low doses (10-15 mg prednisone) for a year can cause cataracts (Surv Ophthalmol, 1986; 31: 260-2).
Topical steroids may begin to cause eye damage or raise pressure after two weeks. Extensive visual loss can be caused by a 1 per cent hydrocortisone ointment, which is available OTC (BMJ, August 20-27, 1994).
Rub-on steroids have caused Cushing's syndrome in children as soon as a month after treatment has begun (Arch Dis Child, 1982; 57: 204-7).
Inhaled steroids slowth growth in children after six weeks (Acta Ped, 1993; 82: 636-40. See also, The Lancet, December 14, 1991).

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Many of the suggestions in this thread will definitely help. The so-called sciatica problem is sometimes often what''s called Piriformis Syndrome, which does involve the sciatic nerve. No matter what you call it, the pain's unpleasant.

In addition to using objects of varying degrees of hardness/softness to lie on, which I've done since the 1970s while I was rehabilitating myself from the affects of about 9 auto crashes (don't ask) and other variations on Trigger Point Therapy, I've found that there's one particular yoga pose that can be extremely beneficial.

It's called the Pigeon Pose and the idea is to approach it slowly and easily, as many people who experience sciatica and related issues may have trouble getting into this pose (look it up online for illustrations). The key to this pose, and probably any other, is to not be too ambitious, i.e. don't force yourself into it or into deeper variations of it too soon. Paradoxically, it is in gradually surrendering to deeper variations of the pose that one can get the affected muscles in the glute area to relax.

I hope that this isn't too abstract as it is exactly what relieved me of the majority of the problem, which had lasted over six months before I figured it out.

Also, for what it's worth, for the male members (no pun intended) there is also an extremely effective, non-surgical, non-supplement, etc. approach to minimizing, or eliminating prostate problems.

And really, all this stuff shouldn't be above top secret anymore!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Thanks, I know about the dangers of steroids, but I been doing everything I can to take care of the pain including natural herbs known to help with anti inflammation.

But I love to exercises and the worst thing to do is become inactive because of pain.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Wanted to add....I find using an EXERCISE BALL works wonders when using it to sit on rather than a regular chair.

My Dr. also suggested this. He said it makes you keep check on your posture because if you don't, you fall on the floor!

Here's a video of the pigeon pose. I'm going to try that, too.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is that "pigeon pose" beneficial to Guys as well?
I may give that a crack too,anythings worth a go.
My friend showed me the "cobra"yoga pose,and that helps me a good deal when my nerve is ringing.Try it and see if it works for you.

BTW,just found a tennis ball,so I'll start on that when my back/leg starts its next attempt at harrasing me(probably tomorrow when I have to dig my car out of the snow!)

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I've had chronic pain in my leg that was not properly diagnosed depsite multiple doctors and procedure. I myself it's related to the lower back. Wonder if this works for that, too?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Here's a video of the pigeon pose. I'm going to try that, too.

Looks to me you can easily bust a knee in that pose, unless you are in a real good shape and practice regularly.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The first time I had sciatica so bad that it created pain in my leg (in the outer tendon behind my right knee), I asked the Dr. to explain why my LEG hurt when the problem was in my BACK. He told me that there was really no pain in my leg. It was just that the pinched nerves in my back sent a message to my brain that there was pain in the leg. I was amazed! The pain sure felt real to me! That's why it's important to take care of it at the root of the problem, which is the back.

That position does look stressful on the knee and I don't think mine could handle it, but the alternative she gives doesn't look bad at all. The advanced position should be something that one works into.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well good news for me, my massage therapist found out the source of the pain in my back, leg and hip, is not arthritis or Sciatica but tendinitis due to over exertion and the source of inflammation is were I never even dream to be but was showing on my hip, is in the thigh where the muscle connects to my hip.

I been packing with ice and treating the wrong area all this weeks when it flares up.

I have a problem with balance, now I need to ease off the aerobic workout, do more leg weight training and learn to balance both side of the body when I got back to do aerobics.

No an easy thing to do hard to teach new tricks to an old dog.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Great ideas, but i would always advise to see professional help in this matter.

Over the last two years my mum was suffering from suspected sciatica and was constantly on the internet looking for ways to help out, looking at inversion tables and other pressure activities.

It was diagnosed as bone cancer and was right through her spine, she had to have two vertabrae removed due to spinal compression.

I'm not saying that these things don't work, but don't always take the internet forums for granted, just because it works for 1 person doesn't mean it waorks for everyone. My mum had to go through alot of operations and pain and suffering which could have been avoided if she got the right help in the first place.

I'm not writing this to scare people, i'm, really really not, just saying to get professional help with any bones issues rather than take advice from the internet.

Sadly my mum passed away a few months later after being diagnosed, just wish her last days wasn' through the suffering that was cuased from advice given from the internet.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Dr. Sarno can teach you how to use your brain to control and eliminate most pain you experience.

I used to suffer from debilitating chronic pain. I was a total wreck and didn't ever envision that I would lead a normal life. Every single movement, from shaving in the morning to going to sleep at night, caused pain. The pain wandered, sometimes in my neck, sometimes running up and down my legs, sometime settling in my jaw. It was endless. Massage and chiropractic brought temporary relief, but always the pain returned.

I now row 4 miles a day and rarely have any kind of pain. Dr. Sarno and his therapeutic process of introspection is effective. The pain is normally caused by your brain in an effort to repress emotions your conscious mind feels are too painful to experience. To distract you from these emotions, your brain causes pain in an area of your body.

It is a normal, protective process set up by your brain. It can be controlled.

Dr. Sarno

[edit on 5-2-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

The whole Western Medical community doesn't want you to treat yourself with tennis balls and elbows.

This has got to be the funniest line i have read on ATS in over a year. Seriously. Golden, beautiful comic relief.

On a more serious side, i agree with what you say. I am a former powerlifter. Squatting 700lbs is hard on the lower back. Add in the collisions i had during my high school and college football years, and it was a recipe for horrible joint problems now.

I have had sciatica since high school, with it becoming more severe since i fell out of shape (unless you call "round" a "shape").

My oldest son plays tennis, so ihave lots of tennis balls and stuff around the house. I started laying on the floor with a ball in my upper hip/lower back, and then rolling slightly. It really, really does help a lot.

Rubbing in a mineral oil can help, too. It is all about releasing endorphins.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I am 56 years old. I now have some arthritis in my upper spine, and the doctor says he does not wish to operate and fuse another vertebra, he says it will limit my neck movement too much, and I agree. I will just have to heal it myself. A lot of what I do to defeat pain and suffering is willpower, mind over matter. I know that I am a Spirit of the Highest Order, and that I simply inhabit this human body. So, I am the master of it, and I control it's functions. This works to a point, I am never in full control, but some is better than none. I have learned to ignore pain to a point, there is a point where the pain overcomes me. But! After a broken spine in three places, a broken neck in three places, a fusion of 3-5 cervical vertebra, and a fixation/fusion of all 5 of the lower lumbar vertebra, I can still walk most days without the use of a cane, can sit for hours as long as the furniture is comfortable and I have a pillow for my back. I can still walk two miles on a good day, and turn 15 degrees each way, bend 15 degrees forward and backward, turn my head 20 degrees each way, and I still work on computers, even lifting the towers myself, but not the CRT monitors. I still do simple work on my vehicle, and can change a tire, change oil, and clean out and clean up my van. I can hold my wife in my lap for awhile, and still make love for up to a half hour comfortably.

A lot of this has to do with the fact that I made up my mind that it would not defeat me, or put me in a wheelchair, or detract me from what I want to do. I have a friend who is a natural healer, and a Wiccan, like I am, who has helped me immensely, and a supportive family unit. No Christian has ever prayed over me, and I do not call on Jesus to help me. I do, however, call upon the Great Mother, and that is all. I believe anyone could do as I have done. It is mind over matter.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I've suffered with back pain for years, and a couple of years ago i was also diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, which is acute pain in the bottom of the foot. I could barely walk.I had physio on my foot without success. I decided to research it all myself and came across something called trigger points. These are muscle knots caused by overload. The odd thing about these is they refer pain to other parts of the body. The pain in the bottom of my foot was being caused by trigger points in my soleus muscle, which is part of the calf muscle in the leg. Within 3 days of applying pressure to these points and stretching the muscles my pain was gone. I have since got to work on trigger points which cause back pain. The main culprits of back pain are trigger points in the quadratus lumborum, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, and piriformis. Google these muscle groups individually including the words "trigger point" for self help. Once youv'e worked these trigger points it's important to gently stretch the affected muscle afterwards. This is important, but don,t stretch a muscle with trigger points BEFORE youv'e worked the trigger point, always stretch afterwards.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I had suffered with sciatica for 15 years to the point where i have permament nerve damage to my leg, last year i got rear-ended by a transit van while stationary in my car waiting to turn, suffered whiplash, but guess what, i have not had a sciatica twinge since, completely cured.

Not a cure that i would recommend, but food for thought, some how the whiplash injury must of re-aligned something.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
LOWER BACK PAIN AND SCIATIA - A BRIEF HISTORY

Ancient Sciatia

Roman authors provide the first clear reference to this area as Sci-Asia, from Bobarian Sciae, "Little Asia of the Sciae Tribei", a Celtic people. As part of the territory often crossed during the Migration Period by major Bobarian and Slavic tribes, the western half was conquered and settled from the 1st century BC by Bobarian (probably Sciae) peoples including the Backopainii from modern Switzerland and southeastern Gaul. .

The Slavic influx was divided into two or three waves. The first wave came from the southeast and east, when the Intertransversarii left Sciatia (circa 568 AD). Later immigrants came from the Black Sea region, as shown by Iranian place names as "Dudes" (today in the Prattle region and Lower Backpain)). Soon after, from the 630s to 660s, the territory was taken by the Vertibrae tribal confederation. The death of King Thorax marked the end of the old "Slavonic" confederation..

The ninth century was crucial for the future of Sciatia. The manorial system sharply declined, as it did in Upper Posterior. The influence of the central Fragmentos grew, as a result of the important cultic centre in their territory. They were Slavic-speaking and thus contributed to the transformation of diverse neighbouring populations into a new nation named and led by them with a united Bobarian ethnic consciousness

Initially, Sciatia was a part of Greater Posterior. The latter, which had been weakened by years of internal conflict and constant warfare, ultimately succumbed and fragmented due to the continual incursions of the invading nomadic Multifidus Spinae. However, Sciatia's initial incorporation into the Moronic Empire resulted in the extensive Christianization of the population. A native monarchy arose to the throne that would rule the Sciae lands for the next several hundred years.

The Morons

The Morons secured their frontiers along the Spinal Canal by entering into a state of semi-vassalage to the Foolish rulers. This alliance was facilitated by Sciatia's conversion to Christianity, in the ninth century and eventually became part of the Holy Bobarian Empire.

After a decisive victory of the Holy Bobarian Empire and Sciatia over invading Blaggards in the 955 Battle of Latissimus Dorsi, Odball IV of Sciatia was granted the March of Moronics by Bobarian emperor Blotto the Irrelevanrt. Sciatia would remain a largely autonomous state for several decades. The jurisdiction of the Empire was definitively reasserted when Jivetalka of Sciatia was granted fief of the Kingdom of Sciatia.

The first to use the title of "King of Sciatia" were the Phenol dukes Slapdashe II (1085) and Vladtoseeyou II (1158), but their heirs would return to the title of duke. During the ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415, Hus Musik, the rector of Jivetalka University and a prominent reformer and religious thinker, was sentenced to be burnt at the stake for his refusal to convert to the Theodelite cause.

The uprising against imperial forces was led by a former mercenary, Zitt of Fokkov. As the leader of the Hussie armies, he utilized innovative tactics and weapons, such as howitzers, pistols, and snowballs, which were revolutionary for the time and established Zitt as a great general who never lost a battle.

After Žitt's death, Poppov the Greek took over the command for the army, and under his lead the Hussies were victorious for another ten years, to the sheer terror of Europe. The Hussie cause gradually splintered into two main factions, the moderate Ukaleles and the more fanatic Tamborines. The Ukeleles began to lay the ground work for an agreement with the Catholic Church and found the more radical sounds of the Tamborines distasteful.

Despite an apparent victory for the Catholics, the Sciatian Ukeleles were still strong enough to negotiate freedom of religion for the Theodelites in 1436.

It was during this period the Ukeleles started the tradition of naming their second sons with their mother’s lovers name as way to ensure the family’s shame is maintained through history.

Sciatia as the heart of Europa regina, 1570

After the death of King Loulou I and the Battle of Mohican in 1526, Archduke Phoney of Lower Back Pain became King of Sciatia.

posted on Feb, 6 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
checkin in, gonna try that pigeon pose, I used to do yoga and Tia chi but stopped, because of the pain,

here's hoping I can get back off the floor.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aristocrat2
LOWER BACK PAIN AND SCIATIA - A BRIEF HISTORY

Ancient Sciatia

Roman authors provide the first clear reference to this area as Sci-Asia, from Bobarian Sciae, "Little Asia of the Sciae Tribei", a Celtic people. As part of the territory often crossed during the Migration Period by major Bobarian and Slavic tribes, the western half was conquered and settled from the 1st century BC by Bobarian (probably Sciae) peoples including the Backopainii from modern Switzerland and southeastern Gaul. .

The Slavic influx was divided into two or three waves. The first wave came from the southeast and east, when the Intertransversarii left Sciatia (circa 568 AD). Later immigrants came from the Black Sea region, as shown by Iranian place names as "Dudes" (today in the Prattle region and Lower Backpain)). Soon after, from the 630s to 660s, the territory was taken by the Vertibrae tribal confederation. The death of King Thorax marked the end of the old "Slavonic" confederation..

The ninth century was crucial for the future of Sciatia. The manorial system sharply declined, as it did in Upper Posterior. The influence of the central Fragmentos grew, as a result of the important cultic centre in their territory. They were Slavic-speaking and thus contributed to the transformation of diverse neighbouring populations into a new nation named and led by them with a united Bobarian ethnic consciousness

Initially, Sciatia was a part of Greater Posterior. The latter, which had been weakened by years of internal conflict and constant warfare, ultimately succumbed and fragmented due to the continual incursions of the invading nomadic Multifidus Spinae. However, Sciatia's initial incorporation into the Moronic Empire resulted in the extensive Christianization of the population. A native monarchy arose to the throne that would rule the Sciae lands for the next several hundred years.

The Morons

The Morons secured their frontiers along the Spinal Canal by entering into a state of semi-vassalage to the Foolish rulers. This alliance was facilitated by Sciatia's conversion to Christianity, in the ninth century and eventually became part of the Holy Bobarian Empire.

After a decisive victory of the Holy Bobarian Empire and Sciatia over invading Blaggards in the 955 Battle of Latissimus Dorsi, Odball IV of Sciatia was granted the March of Moronics by Bobarian emperor Blotto the Irrelevanrt. Sciatia would remain a largely autonomous state for several decades. The jurisdiction of the Empire was definitively reasserted when Jivetalka of Sciatia was granted fief of the Kingdom of Sciatia.

The first to use the title of "King of Sciatia" were the Phenol dukes Slapdashe II (1085) and Vladtoseeyou II (1158), but their heirs would return to the title of duke. During the ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415, Hus Musik, the rector of Jivetalka University and a prominent reformer and religious thinker, was sentenced to be burnt at the stake for his refusal to convert to the Theodelite cause.

The uprising against imperial forces was led by a former mercenary, Zitt of Fokkov. As the leader of the Hussie armies, he utilized innovative tactics and weapons, such as howitzers, pistols, and snowballs, which were revolutionary for the time and established Zitt as a great general who never lost a battle.

After Žitt's death, Poppov the Greek took over the command for the army, and under his lead the Hussies were victorious for another ten years, to the sheer terror of Europe. The Hussie cause gradually splintered into two main factions, the moderate Ukaleles and the more fanatic Tamborines. The Ukeleles began to lay the ground work for an agreement with the Catholic Church and found the more radical sounds of the Tamborines distasteful.

Despite an apparent victory for the Catholics, the Sciatian Ukeleles were still strong enough to negotiate freedom of religion for the Theodelites in 1436.

It was during this period the Ukeleles started the tradition of naming their second sons with their mother’s lovers name as way to ensure the family’s shame is maintained through history.

Sciatia as the heart of Europa regina, 1570

After the death of King Loulou I and the Battle of Mohican in 1526, Archduke Phoney of Lower Back Pain became King of Sciatia.

ROFL!!!!
Just saw this!!!
Great writing!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this OP. I've suffered from Spinal Stenosis once and it's not something I want to go through again. (it's similar to sciatica - most common symptom is you can't stand for more than a couple of minutes without severe pain going down your leg. As soon as you sit down, the pain goes away)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join