It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen warns U.S. intervention could strengthen al-Qaeda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

SANAA, Yemen -- In its strongest language yet, Yemen's government declared Thursday that there are limits to its military cooperation with the United States, warning that any direct U.S. action in this impoverished Middle East nation could bolster the popularity of Islamic militants.

"If there is direct intervention by the United States, it will strengthen al-Qaeda," warned Rashad al-Alimi, Yemen's deputy prime minister for security and defense. "We cannot accept any foreign troops on Yemeni territory."The statement underscored the rising concern among Yemen's leadership of a domestic backlash that could politically weaken the government and foment more instability. In recent days, top Yemeni officials have publicly downplayed their growing ties to Washington, fearing they will be perceived by their opponents as weak and beholden to the United States.

www.washingtonpost.com...

You think?

We go into Yemen we are done. How many times do we have to keep repeating the same mistakes?

How many more innocent people will we kill with drone attacks?

ENOUGH

END THE WAR.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm with you

This thing will go on forever and ever

War of terr...ible decisions, ghosts and bogey men

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

They are not "ghosts" for the most part. Hey, I know that any and all terrorist attacks are attributed, incorrectly, to alqaeda, but they ARE essentially invading Yemen with no regard to the wants of Yemeni citizens.
I agree with the OP. If allied troops go into Yemen, it'll be a tipping point for this war. The motivatinos of the military industrial complex will have become too transparent.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

You see it , I see it

But the Sheep of the US see 10 foot monsters with 6 inch teeth

The US will be in Yemen.

The War Machine has started , Embassy is closed .

Do the Mth

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I think it's clear to see that the U.S. is the biggest terror threat facing the world today...

The U.S. troops occupying foreign soil is making the U.S. here at home more vulnerable to attack...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

They are not "ghosts" for the most part. Hey, I know that any and all terrorist attacks are attributed, incorrectly, to alqaeda, but they ARE essentially invading Yemen with no regard to the wants of Yemeni citizens.
I agree with the OP. If allied troops go into Yemen, it'll be a tipping point for this war. The motivatinos of the military industrial complex will have become too transparent.

The ghosts are they the psychological aspects of this war; no specific enemy, but a third of the worlds population could be, maybe, we can't tell until they strike again. That is the apparition I am referring to... War begets more war and unless you kill ever single last one babies and all, more warriors will step forward.

It is a running joke on us and a daily, monthly and yearly bankjob

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

British, French embassies in Yemen reopen

The US embassy in Yemen reopened Tuesday after a two-day closure prompted by Al-Qaeda threats as US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned unrest in the Arab country is a threat to global stability.

Yemen declares open war with al-Qaeda

Two al-Qaeda operatives at least were killed and three injured on Monday January 4th, when anti-terror Yemeni forces clashed with an Al-Qaeda cell in Arhab area, about 40-50 km east of the capital Sana'a.

The cell is believed to have been on its way to implement their previous threats against US and UK embassies in Sana'a, which all closed at the beginning of the week

Notice how they caught the guys on monday and reopened the embassies on Tuesday?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by heyo]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I agree with you mostly. Bring the troops home. The MINOR threat that alqaeda wields is no excuse for a country to go to war.
Funding Yemeni forces is easily enough.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Thank you for the quick reply , well done sir.

The US is supposed to leave Iraq in what 15/16 months?

They have built 3 huge pernament bases and a Consulate BIGGER than

Vatican City.

Think they are leaving Iraq?

Edit to say , I starred your reply , I wasn't being cheeky

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Sean48]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

We are on the same page for sure. Yemen will succeed where Iraq and Afganistan have failed because they are actually taking sides with the local government that has the majority of the people backing it.
No cheekiness noted. It's obvious that you are after the facts and recognize how futile stationing troops is.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
"The US embassy in Yemen reopened Tuesday after a two-day closure prompted by Al-Qaeda threats as US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned unrest in the Arab country is a threat to global stability."

Give me a f'en break. Just this once. Unrest in Yemen is a threat to global stability?

top topics

join