It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jackson Health System halts dialysis for poor patients

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Jackson Health System halts dialysis for poor patients

www.miamiherald.com

BY JOHN DORSCHNER AND JUAN CARLOS CHAVEZ
jdorschner@MiamiHerald.com
The financially strapped Jackson Health System has stopped paying for dialysis treatments for 175 poor patients with failing kidneys -- a decision that experts say could be deadly.

``It is no game,'' says Emelina García Cordoví, 67, whose treatments at a South Miami-Dade center were cut off Dec. 31. ``We are talking of the lives of persons who depend exclusively on their dialysis.''
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is a pretty sad and distressing story and one with a number of angles to it that are a disconcerting.

Jackson Memorial operates as Miami-Dade County’s Public Health Trust and is designed to be a safety net of quality car for the poor and indigent with no other source.

Until most recently it has not only been well funded but one of the best hospitals in the world because of it’s partnership with the University of Miami Medical School which is also one of the best in the world.

They are projecting though a 200 million dollar operating loss for the next fiscal year and looking to cut costs in areas that the Board of Directors deems acceptable to balance the budget.

Cutting out outpatient dialyses for about 185 people dependent on Jackson for it is one of the areas they have decided to cut as a result.

The first thought provoking angle to this article is that all but 45 of them are having alternative treatments arranged for them. The 45 people who they can not arrange alternative treatment centers for are illegal aliens who do not qualify for any form of Federal Government Financial Assistance. Up until now Jackson has been regularly treating them as charity from the publicly funded volunteer donations that make up a large part of the Trust that operates Jackson Memorial.

That of course begs the question how much money is really being spent in the United States to give illegal immigrants medical care, education and other social services?

The second aspect though is while Jackson Memorial receives a good portion of its operating budget from the County whose revenue from real estate and property taxes has declined because of plummeting home values and foreclosures a huge amount of Jackson’s budget comes from private donations.

Many of those private donations come from wealthy Americans looking to write off the portion that they donate from their Income Taxes for a reduction in their Federal Taxable Income.

However last year Obama did away with those write offs and limited them to a small percentage of ones income. While the Federal Government itself put funds to the paltry tune of 900 million dollars aside to give as grants to operations like Jackson’s that Government money can’t be spent on caring for illegal aliens and is a far smaller amount than private donations were creating.

So it’s a loose, loose situation for everyone but the Government and the IRS, who get to increase their own tax revenues as a result and gain a greater control over local institutions through replacing private funds with Government Grants.

Of course one also has to wonder how much decisions like this are also being made in support of compelling more people to support Government Health Care Legislation by eroding and eliminating some of the critical care local governments, charities, and charitable private individuals have been providing to the poorest of the poor.

As one Doctor quoted in the article said, this is not a game, this is cruel, some of these people will die as a result and they will be slow and painful deaths at that.

Dark days are surely upon us, up until now Jackson was one of the best funded and best run public health trusts in the nation. What is happening to America?

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

`ALMOST CRUEL'

Raul de Velasco, a longtime Miami-Dade nephrologist who serves on several local ethics panels, said Jackson's decision was ``almost cruel.''

Kidney failure results in impurities building up in the blood. Missing dialysis and waiting to get sick before going to the ER could lead to inflammation of the heart, nerve damage and other problems. ``They will not die quickly or suddenly -- but they will die, a slow death,'' he said.

De Velasco says ER treatment in such cases will also be considerably more expensive because the patients will be sicker when they enter the ER. ``So trying to save money -- that doesn't work.''

ANOTHER WAY

Gerard Kaiser, Jackson's chief medical officer, said the system will indeed save money, because various government programs pay for inpatient dialysis that don't pay for outpatient treatment, and patients may end up at ERs other than Jackson's.

Most patients need care three times a week -- at a cost of about $50,000 a year. Federal law allows virtually all Americans with end-stage kidney failure to get on Medicare, which will pay for their treatment. But it can take more than a year to get that coverage, and people need to have paid into the Medicare fund for a certain period of time in order to be eligible. People in the United States illegally don't qualify under any circumstances.

This is almost like bureaucracy roulette and a shell game where ultimately the government will pay for the care for all the effected people except the 45 illegal immigrants, but the patients themselves have to wait longer for treatment until in a critical state and go to different sources for treatment than they are now so that treatment can be charged too other different government programs!

Which is amazing considering that it will cost more to the government in the long run, and put far more burden on the patients while having a marked negative impact on their health.

The frightening thing is that based on how government is currently involved in Health Care is what the ramifications might be in allowing them to totally take it over?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Nice find. I predicted this several months ago on here that the elderly and those on dialysis would be some of the first to reap the "benefits" of Obama's health care. They're just too darn expensive to support, being "useless eaters" and all.

Expect to also see the "one child policy" insist on taking your DNA to see if you should be allowed to have ANY children.

There are a whole host of people who eat up health care dollars and don't pay taxes due to their disabilities. The elderly have already been mentioned. Dialysis patients are an obvious target. Brittle diabetics, those actively collecting disability checks, cystic fibrosis, bilateral amputees, severe mental retardation, congenitally defective babies.

The list is quite lengthy and the above are just a sample of those who will die in the morass of red tape and bean counting waiting to be approved for their fair share of the health care pie.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I agree with you friend this may just be the beginning of many things to come.

I think we need to remain vigilant and try to illustrate just how the tide is turning against the citizens and why and for what.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I saw this coming too, yup,

Rationing will become the result of the HCR

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Some shocking statistics.

"How Much Do We Spend on End-of-Life Care?
It's not surprising that individuals in their last year of life consume a disproportionate share of medical resources. One percent of the population accounts for 30 percent of the nation's health care expenditures. Nearly half of those people are elderly.

Medicare, the health insurance program for the elderly, spends nearly 30 percent of its budget on beneficiaries in their final year of life. Slightly more than half of Medicare dollars are spent on patients who die within two months. "

Link

If you need to reduce the cost of health care, where would you look? Perhaps at the patients that will be dieing anyway. That would cut medicare spending by 50%. I wouldn't want to be the one making those decisions.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well it's no longer coming it has clearly arrived! People are going to be allowed to die even though the means to care for them and the machinery to do it is readily available.

I feel almost as bad for the doctors being forced to do this as I do for the poor people who are going to suffer the pain and indignity of dying an agonizing death for no other reason than they are poor.

We have truly lost are way.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

If you need to reduce the cost of health care, where would you look? Perhaps at the patients that will be dieing anyway. That would cut medicare spending by 50%. I wouldn't want to be the one making those decisions.

OH heck yes, plus you get them off that social security they paid into their whole life, by working their butts off.

and,

reduce the population,

Especially those old fools with scruples and honesty, who were honorable. and obediently paid their taxes and obeyed the law,and make sure we get the patriotic ones, .

damn geriatric revolutionary extremist,

Then we are left with these young and impressionable minds we can easily manipulate and control,

[edit on 053131p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Well it's no longer coming it has clearly arrived! People are going to be allowed to die even though the means to care for them and the machinery to do it is readily available.

I feel almost as bad for the doctors being forced to do this as I do for the poor people who are going to suffer the pain and indignity of dying an agonizing death for no other reason than they are poor.

We have truly lost are way.

The doctors must stand against this,

Yes I was ridiculed on this forum for this very issue,

and then others justify this rationing,

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Like I said, I'd hate to be the one making decisions like this.

Perhaps you missed that in my post.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

The truth is that many of them are so sick from a combination of deadly side effects to years and years of pharmacuticals they have been regimented on.

The closer they get to that death the more the health system makes off of them in the way of profits.

Its a pretty sinister system all in all.

What ever ends up killing me ends up killing me but one thing for sure it won't be legal pharmacuticals or doctors!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It's amazing the forms of denial people are in and the things that denial compells them to do.

Yet clearly here we are wittnessing those very things and in a relatively short period of time down the pike from when people such as your self prediceted that they would happen as a result of the new legislations and attitudes in Washington.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

It's amazing the forms of denial people are in and the things that denial compells them to do.

Yet clearly here we are wittnessing those very things and in a relatively short period of time down the pike from when people such as your self prediceted that they would happen as a result of the new legislations and attitudes in Washington.

Yes, Proto, and watch how little interest this topic receives, I am afraid it wont get the attention it deserves,

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

Like I said, I'd hate to be the one making decisions like this.

Perhaps you missed that in my post.

OH bob, you misunderstood me, I wasn't ranting at you.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Well lets look at our friends lists and send out a few U2U's then and get it going.

It does deserve attention that's for sure. This is a real tragedy that is going to grow in proportions and likely rapidly.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
ITT: People blame this on a healthcare reform bill that hasn't even passed yet.

Seriously though, this is terrible. I do not think that the current 'flavor' of healthcare reform is going to fix any of this, but obviously reform is needed.

Until we can get our heads out of our asses and figure out a way to provide universal coverage like all of the other developed nations on the planet, we will continue to have a sub-standard quality of life here in America.

Say what you want about Canada or the NHS, but you would never hear of something like this happening in a country with true universal care.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Well lets look at our friends lists and send out a few U2U's then and get it going.

It does deserve attention that's for sure. This is a real tragedy that is going to grow in proportions and likely rapidly.

Alrighty, I can add my old post links to it too.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

actually the HCR bill is affecting even the insurance rates already, some are doubling.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Actually there are a few different factors involved here that I tried to illustrate in my opening post.

Charitible contributions are no longer allowed as write offs and that's hurting the funding of public health trusts like Jacksons.

The economic crisis and real estate crisis is causing budget short falls from dwindling real estate tax revenues.

The public health trusts can politically afford to make drastic cuts like this to apply pressure in the political debate to urge health care reform, which is after all in their ultimate interests since it just means more government money coming down the pike to them.

But as I displayed in my opening piece what government funding will cover and what charitible funding will cover are two different things and the charitible funding allows for more people outisde of the system to be cared for than the government does.

Lots of things involved here friend, lots and lots.

Thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join