It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: High rate of $ex abuse at juvenile centers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Report: High rate of $ex abuse at juvenile centers

hosted2.ap.org

A government study finds 13 juvenile detention facilities around the country have high rates of sex abuse and victimization, with nearly 1 out of every 3 inmates reporting some type of victimization.

80 percent of the victims said at least one incident took place in a common area, such as a classroom or office, while about half said at least one incident happened in the shower, and half of the victims said they had been victimized by staff in their room or sleeping areas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The study identified six facilities where the survey found at least 3 out of every 10 inmates said they were sexually victimized while in custody: Pendleton Juvenile Correctional Facility in Indiana; Corsicana Residential Treatment Center in Texas; Backbone Mountain Youth Center in Swanton, Md.; Samarkand Youth Development Center in Eagle Springs, N.C.; Cresson Secure Treatment Unit in Pennsylvania; and the Culpeper Juvenile Correctional Center, Long Term, in Mitchells, Va.

At Pendleton, the rate of incidents was double the national average for such facilities.

Another seven sites reported nearly as high levels of sexual abuse or victimization: Victory Field Correctional Academy in Vernon, Texas; Indianapolis Juvenile Correctional Facility; Shawono Center in Grayling, Michigan; Woodland Hills Youth Development Center in Nashville, Tenn.; L.E. Rader Center in Sand Springs, Okla.; Bon Air Juvenile Correctional Center in Virginia; New Jersey Training School in Monroe Township, N.J.

hosted2.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
In high school my next door nieghbor was sent to a juvinile center in Big Spring Texas. There she was repeatedly raped by a man who worked there. It still angers me 30 years later. The place she went to for help ruined her life. I don't even know if the rapist was ever convicted.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Kids of such nature tend to be the easiest targets.

Anyway, I'm replying because I'm interested in why you found it necessary to censor the word 'sex' in the title?

new topics

top topics

join