It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Side-effect of "Affirmative Action" policies - inept cops

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq

Before people start giving this posts stars, they might want to use the search function to look up the case of those white fire fighters. Funny how selective people's memory can become.

I just wonder if this would be an issue at all if the roles were reversed?

Yes it still would be an issue. Your living in fantasy land if you actually believe that this would fly if the situation was reversed.

If the CPD were full of black cops with no whites passing the exam would they still want to toss the exam?

THE CPD isn't full of white cops with no black cops passing the entrance exam, read the article at least before commenting.

Wait, I know the answer to that one already... I would say that affirmative action = racism, but we all know that only white people can be racist.

I suggest google, it is your friend. I'll do you one better as a matter of fact Offenders; Hate Crime Statistics What do you know, black people actually commited hate crimes! I wouldn't know that by reading the posts of people here on ATS. Next time somone dares to say that only white people are charged with hate crimes (or racism) need to use google.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by cenpuppie]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The more I read about Chicagos madness the less inclined I believe this is about AA. IMHO, this is a staffing/#'s issue first and color/race/ethnicity issue second.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but did you study? Did some hooded Klansman point you to the "blacks only" prep books or the "blacks only" prep class?

There isn't some secret club out there sending clues and crytic notes to white people.

There are plenty of cultural differences across the US. Largely geographic. But a Hispanic and taiwanese guy livin in Hartford CT are getting the same education. Their home life is probably different but since when has the SAT tested that.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but did you study? Did some hooded Klansman point you to the "blacks only" prep books or the "blacks only" prep class?

Nah, your good man. To answer your question yes i studied. And that's why when i saw my score i was disappointed. I even took that damn Pre-SAT test AND i took those horrible SAT prep courses as well. My score was "decent" but i feel for Pookey that goes to a terrible school in the city (which a majority of blacks attend) that doesn't properly prepare it's students for any kind of test, much less the SAT.

GWB no child left behind program is just a joke. But then again, the way our system is setup, school funding is determined by residential property value. THAT pisses me off because...argh, nevermind i'm running off into another tangent, let's stick to this topic.

My reading comprehension didn't take off till after i finished with grade school. Never let your schooling get in the way of your education, hehe

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

That's exactly what i think it is. The CPD has the same problem other metropolitan city have, it's called diversity.

2nd line.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

There are plenty of cultural differences across the US. Largely geographic. But a Hispanic and taiwanese guy livin in Hartford CT are getting the same education.

That depends on where in Hartford CT each guy lives. If one guy lives in the suburbs and their property tax dollars are contributing to the best learning environment, he'll most likely have the best education. On the other hand, if the other guy is living in a poor/disinfranchised area, where not as many tax dollars are going to the learning infrastructures, he most likely won't have the best education.

google "American Schools in Crisis" and watch it if you have the time.

Their home life is probably different but since when has the SAT tested that.

In this instance I'm going to say home life and culture are one in the same. If a child from the worst part of Compton, who has a crack head mother, no father and gang banging neighbors takes an SAT test, and he/she see's a question on the test asking about sonatas, what are the chances the child is going to know what a sonata is?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
If a child from the worst part of Compton, who has a crack head mother, no father and gang banging neighbors takes an SAT test, and he/she see's a question on the test asking about sonatas, what are the chances the child is going to know what a sonata is?

So, why don't we try and fix the education system instead of changing standardized tests?

I would say the low scores that minorities are getting isn't because the test itself is biased, but the educational system is biased.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

To further my point, I'd like to tell you an anecdote from my experiences.

I was on the subway not too long ago. While waiting for the train, I noticed there was a group of children being led around by a couple adults. I assumed it was a school outing.

Well, the "teachers" were all speaking ebonics to the children. Some "educators" huh?

Talk about biased.

I doubt there are ANY questions on the SAT dealing with ebonics. Maybe they could start actually teaching in schools?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Both are biased, however the education system itself is what leads to the test being biased. I agree with you 100% when you say the system should be changed.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kingoftheworld

Do you truly know what Affirmative Action is? You label it racist and I say OK so remove but what do we institute in its place? Perhaps it should never have been instituted. Perhaps there should have never been a need for it. But given the fact that there were whites protesting the idea of blacks being allowed into the schools with better facilities (Much like people protest immigrants today), what solution do you propose would have been fair or would be fair today?

Affirmative Action doesn't only cover blacks or race, it covers racism, sexism, ageism etc.. The list could go on and on. The truth of the matter is that Affirmative Action never remedied the situation it was instituted to fix because white women have been its primary beneficiary. There were so many isms added to the remedies that whites included themselves in the remedies.

There will never be "equality" in America. For there to be equality it would require a huge transfer of wealth from the white community to the black community. THAT would be the remedy of the terrorism against people of color in America but of course that will never happen without a riot/fight because it would be seen as "unfair".

ANY remedy would be seen as unfair (as evidenced by your complaints about AA. So the truth is the only thing that would be fair in your eyes is to do NOTHING. and leave things unfair to blacks. )

There should be equality in education

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Affirmative action might be the reason why there are few qualified Black candidates.

No matter what you think about affirmative action, it is undeniably true that it gives minorities people a "bump up." For example, a minority high school student may have grades and test scores that would earn him a spot at a top state university if that student were not a minority. With affirmative action, that minority student now gets "bumped up" to the Ivy League.

In this case there are a group of minorities that have the skill set to become good cops. However, these minorities are being "bumped up" into other opportunities like going to a good college or getting a good job that does not involve getting shot at. The remaining minorities are those that simply lack the skills.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

OK so tell me exactly what you think Affirmative action is? If you think it's this "unfair bump up" that blacks get so they get into the ivy league, it would seem it wouldn't matter since they would still have to earn the grades to get out of school.

Affirmative Action is only wrong and not needed if you assume white American society isn't racist against blacks. There are laws in place against discrimination so that would on the surface suggest that white society isn't racist but if it weren't racist, there would be no need for laws in the first place.

So at what point did white people in America and white society say "OK we are not racist anymore"? When exactly did this come about? Was it during the civil rights period where many fought against blacks having equal human rights?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nphillydude

Whether or not you support affirmative action, one cannot deny affirmative action is a "bump up." Minority candidates in affirmative action programs get "special consideration" or extra points.

It is true that once a minority student gets into an Ivy League school, they still have to earn good grades in order to graduate. However, minorities often do not do as well as other students in colleges. Some say it is because there is some sort of cultural bias in academia, others say minority do poorly because many are generally less qualified because of the bump.

This is not to say that every minority does poorly in college, or that "less qualified" minorities do not seize the opportunity they get from the "bump up" and flourish. This is also not to say that there are some minority students who could get into any school, with or without affirmative action.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Big fat BS. I've taken the SAT and I was subject to material and vocabulary I never encountered and guess what? I'm white. That and I would consider myself an avid reader and an above-average intelligence.

The SAT is always modified and evolving every year. That's why your teachers always say the material you are covering to prepare for the SAT is from the previous year. They can't and do not know what SPECIFIC material is going to be on the test and so they cover as much material as possible to get you as ready as possible.

People always clamor over racism but it's not what color you are, it's your environment. I live in Lake Station, IN. Right next door to Gary. I went to River Forest, a very small, poor school which is always considered unworthy. Don't tell me because I'm white, I have certain priviledges you do not. It's getting tiring.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join