It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seventeen Year Old Rowing Across Atlantic For Blue Planet Charity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
January 06, 2010

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7d905ee4ac2.png[/atsimg]

A young American adventurer, 17-year-old Katie Spotz, has started rowing across the Atlantic Ocean in a solo effort to raise $30,000 for Blue Planet Run and give clean water to 1,000 people in developing nations. The young sailor pushed off from Senegal yesterday and hopes to make the 2,500-mile journey in just over 100 days.The map above shows her progress up until now (updated every 20 minutes on her twitter page by Google Earth).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/173c7cf1975e.jpg[/atsimg]

Spotz warmed up for the adventure by swimming the entire length of the Allegheny River to raise awareness of the problem of lack of clean drinking water around the world. Apparently, though, she has only been rowing for two years and was “the slow kid on her high school swim team.” However, she has run marathons, ultramarathons and bicycled across the US.

www.dailygalaxy.com...

What an amazing feat, this young girl is doing something about the planet instead of complaining, wish her the best in her journey.

Katie is 22 years old, not seventeen as this article states..

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This seems idiotic from my point of view. Who would allow a 17 year old to attempt such a foolish thing.

I don't think that this will raise anyone's awareness about her cause.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's an interview with her on her preparation for the crossing.

www.cleveland.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

God bless him he possess great energy to care for his home habitate so much and do something about it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yes I agree, God bless "her", not him Ophiuchus.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's a good cause. Better than listening to a teacher lecture, or simply reading a book while stuffing your face, or chatting with your drunk friends about killing aliens because you've never killed anyone before and really really have an itchy trigger finger. Doing something like that (this- what she be doin) seems worth while.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Good on ya katie, good luck. What a brave girl only 17 and doing something positive, we need more like her

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The article says that she is 22.

Therefore she is old enough to make up her own mind about this.

She doesn't need anyone's permission. So I retract my previous objections.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Shes 22 years of age. When creating a new thread, it is important to AT LEAST have the subject title correct.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Shes 22 years of age. When creating a new thread, it is important to AT LEAST have the subject title correct.

The article's title said she was 17.......didn't know she was 22, so shoot me.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
This seems idiotic from my point of view. Who would allow a 17 year old to attempt such a foolish thing.

I don't think that this will raise anyone's awareness about her cause.

its pretty amazing to me. Not everyone is just happy sitting behind a computer eating away at people who dont just sit there.

some people want things in life and they work damn hard to achieve them. after biking across the united states, Id say this young lady has what it takes to make it, -heart.

the next time you go and get water out of your tap you should remember that 1/5 of ALL HUMANS dont have that particular luxury.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think she's fantastic. No other word can describe someone who will put themselves in such danger, and stress for others. Brownie points for her

top topics

join