It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Another Church-Less Christmas, Coalition Asks: Is Obama a Christian Fraud?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Obama's Christian identity has always seemed dubious to many on this forum, myself included. During his campaign he regularly attended church and walked the walk, as the saying goes. Since his election, he's been a veritable no-show at services.

Life Site News

WASHINGTON, D.C., January 6, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The increasingly notorious lack of church involvement or public religious observance by the United State's First Family has led one Christian organization to question the level of dedication President Obama truly feels to the religious identity that once lent such appeal to his campaign image.

After attending church regularly during the 2008 Presidential campaign, Obama has not attended church on a regular basis since being elected President and has yet to find a church home. Obama, while vacationing in Hawaii over Christmastime, failed to attend any religious services with his family; neither did he attend during Christmas in 2008 as president-elect.

Yet as a candidate, Obama made his Christian faith and involvement in a local church community a central component of his campaign - an image widely believed to have attracted key votes that would otherwise have opposed his liberal policies. Several Christian pastors, such as Houston megachurch pastor Kirbyjon Caldwell, helped bolster the campaign talking point that Obama's social policies hewed closer to Christian doctrine than his critics allowed.

Douglas Kmiec, the Pepperdine University law professor who drew immense criticism from Catholic circles for actively campaigning on Obama's behalf, had argued that his trust in the pro-abortion candidate stemmed from his apparent commitment to Christianity.

Unfortunately, Obama has not lived up to the hopes of his Christian supporters, turning his back on anything remotely religious and supporting legislation in direct opposition to Christian principals.

The article lists signs of Obama's lack of religion:

Since his election, Christian watchdogs have grown increasingly agitated by the apparent lack of, and even disregard for, Christian sensitivities in the White House. Some examples include:

-Per White House request, Georgetown University in April covered up a white cross and a symbol for the name of Jesus that would have appeared over Obama's head at a speech.

- The President declined publicly to celebrate the National Day of Prayer at the White House - yet hosted a large bash for Gay and Lesbian Pride Month in June, and recognized the Islamic holy month of Ramadan at the White House.

- While matter-of-factly noting that George Washington recognized Thanksgiving as celebrating "the many and signal favors of Almighty God," Obama's Thanksgiving proclamation was the first in U.S. history to exhort celebration of the holiday without actually acknowledging the existence of God or Divine Providence.

- For the first time in 43 years, the Obama Administration banned a military flyover at a "God and Country Rally" in Nampa, Idaho.

- On a White House Christmas tree, the President asked that no religious ornaments be displayed - yet, ironically, reportedly allowed an ornament displaying the image of Chinese dictator and mass murderer Mao Tse Tung.

Obama's campaign image was a finely crafted fascade created to fool the electorate. An electorate that was all too willing to be fooled.

His campaign rethoric, at times seemed to the right of Bush and his supposed Christianity swayed many into lending him their support.

Soon after the election, Obama dropped the fascade and his actions have spoken volumes.

"The issue is not whether a President has to attend church on a regular basis to be an effective President. They do not," commented Rev. Patrick J. Mahoney, Director of the Washington, D.C. based Christian Defense Coalition. "The issue is one of integrity and honesty.

"To portray yourself as person of deep Christian faith and very involved in the life of the local church during the campaign and then abandon that position after you are elected reduces faith to a commodity and religion to a political tool."

Some say Obama is a closet Muslem. I think it's more likely that he's just a plain out secular athiest who sees the State as the only thing meriting our worship.

Your thoughts?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
How can one be a "Christian Fraud" when one is not even Christian?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Muslim,plain and simple,also terrorist sympathizer.Liar.
charlatan;

A charlatan (also called swindler or mountebank) is a person practicing quackery or some similar confidence trick in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages via some form of pretence or deception.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think it's more likely that he's just a plain out secular athiest

I agree with this. I don't think that Obama is a "closet Muslim". (If he was Muslim, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, for the record.) I think he did the whole church thing in order to appear "normal" for the electorate, especially in some of the southern states like Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
How can one be a "Christian Fraud" when one is not even Christian?

He's a Christian fraud because he pretended to be a Christian in order to get more votes. He used Christianity as a commodity in order to sway voters his way.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

FortAnthem,

This shouldn't be an issue, since America is a democracy, not a theocracy. Playing the cynic, I would say that in keeping with political tradition, Barack Obama too may have cozied up to any potential voting block which could win him the presidency, including Christians, Gays and he may even have kissed a few babies he didn't particularly care for.

It's how the game of election is played the world over, at least if you're lucky enough to live in a democracy.

If he WERE an atheist, that wouldn't disqualify him from being a good president. But, well... smart politicians are all things to all men hahaha.

My final point is far more serious. If a candidate, or person like you or me spent all their time in church, it would not make them Christians. Check your New Testament, the Pharisees and Sadducees did just that, and they weren't very nice, were they. More 1 part devotion, and 1 part bloody-mindedness.

So let's see how well/badly President Obama does, doing his job each day, applying standards of leadership and faith.

smilodon

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I dont see this as particularly terrible. Every politican does what he/she needs to get into power and frankly in this day and age the less people hold stock in religion the better as far as I am concerned. Obama may have faults, I can't really say one way or the other but IMO, his not going to church isn't one of them.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

It's a shame that people today just accept the fact that our politicians lie to us to get in office.

It shows we don't care and are unwilling to hold our representatives responsible to their campeign promises. We should demand more.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

He's a Christian fraud because he pretended to be a Christian in order to get more votes. He used Christianity as a commodity in order to sway voters his way.

A brilliant tactic!

I wonder why they have never tried that one before.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Or it is because he is POTUS and is busy.

Who cares?

First off, POTUS doesn't have to be a Christian.

Second, going to church doesn't make you a Christian.

Thirdly, he can practise his religious freedom and NOT go to church if he doesn't want too. Maybe he doesn't like any here.

And last, no one should be voting for a president based on religion. You would think people would of learned after the last one.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by thebulldog

It's a shame that people today just accept the fact that our politicians lie to us to get in office.

It shows we don't care and are unwilling to hold our representatives responsible to their campeign promises. We should demand more.

And it was different....when?

When was it that politicians didn't lie? Be it Kings or Presidents, it's been the cast that leaders sometimes aren't truthful! How shocking!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I guess we truely do deserve the government we have.

Meekly accepting the corruption of our system is falling right into their hands.

How can some people not find it in themselves to feel some bit of outrage when their politicians are caught lying?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

LOL You know it's really none of your, or the publics business what Obama's or anyone else s religious beliefs are!
Simple as that.
As for "honesty", are YOU totally honest all day every day? In your personal life? Job? If you were President would you just "tell the truth" no matter what the circumstances?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

LOL You know it's really none of your, or the publics business what Obama's or anyone else s religious beliefs are!
Simple as that.
As for "honesty", are YOU totally honest all day every day? In your personal life? Job? If you were President would you just "tell the truth" no matter what the circumstances?

Obama made it our business when he flaunted his apparent Christianity in everyones face to allay fears he was a godless communist. He lied about his religion and just about everything else he told us when he was running for office.

No one is completely honest every day of their lives but, when a person uses deception in order to obtain money, fame or other advantages it is called fraud and is a criminal offence when practiced anywhere outside of politics.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Second, going to church doesn't make you a Christian.

In a sense, you're correct. In another though, Christians are told to not forsake assembling with one another. Hebrews 10.24-25:

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (ESV)

That's probably a discussion for a different time though.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oh please who cares? I for one am grateful that we don't have an idiot spewing nonsense out of his mouth like our last president who claims God told him this or that or to do this or that.

Come on people who are we fooling here? We all know that a majority of Christians that go to church do it for one thing and one thing only...in the words of my boys' auntie; "I go to church to see and to be seen."

Personally, church and state don't mix...at all. It's relieving to see Obama handle his bidness (whatever it may be) without throwing his religion in everyone's face.

So what if he don't attend church? Where does it say in the bible that you HAVE to attend church every Sunday? Oh i thought so, it don't! You don't have to attend church to practice your christian faith even though that is what he prefers.

And the last time i checked nowhere does it say that our president has to have a religion or attend church services. This a democracy not a religious state.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Pro-death penalty, pro-war Republicans complaining that the guy trying to pass a health care bill to force Americans to actually be their brothers' keepers is not Christian enough. Classic.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I cant believe youre twisting and wingeing about the so called fact he isnt a christian but a muslim? Who cares? Not me. It was bush that stoked the fire with muslims etc etc anyway. If he`s a muslim does that make him any worse?
To be honest i reckon that if it turns out that hes a raging homosexual muslim it wouldnt make a difference. First it was all " first black president" who cares? were they trying to prove a point? was he elected for the mission that bush started because it was easier due to his colour, religion and beliefs and it was easier for the east to consider because of this? who knows?
This is what i do know though:
He didnt just walk in, he was elected

By you

I think its actually hilarious the fact that no one bothered to find out anything about the person they were voting for

But now when everythings falling apart you automatically blame the one you all elected?

So, when everything is going fine you love the bloke but when the sh*t hits the fan, you all turn your back on him and dig dirt on him?
Talk about being held responsible for your actions

You elected him so get on with it and give the bloke a break ffs.
I didnt realise there was so many perfect people out there.
Whats to say 10 years down the line 1 of you may be where he is now, what skeletons have you in your closets?
Karma has a funny way of turning round and bitting you in the ass

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Very interesting point. Personally, I don't know what Obama is and spiritually speaking, it's his business alone. But it does concern me that if he is being deceptive in some way, it's getting tossed aside as 'Who cares? That's the way politicians are.' As if we have become so desensitized to what they do to us we don't even care anymore.

They continually get away with it because of such an attitude. They lie so much we expect them to lie and now only get upset depending on how bad their lie is... if even then. And many times they still get reelected.

[edit on 1/7/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think it's pretty funny that Americans will elect any idiot that will praise Jesus in public. If Bush completely pissed all over the constitution, ran for a 3rd term and instated mandatory cavity searches for everyone to help fight terror... America would re-elect him in a heart beat if he said God sent him a sign that it was the right thing to do.

A presidential candidates religion, or lack there of, should be off the table. It's for your own good America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join