It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really this dumb?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
McDonald's seems to be a theme ; D

My turn!

I was in an elevator after shopping in a department store when a lady in her early 30's stepped in. She was swinging her keys around her index finger then throwing them up and catching them every few seconds. She threw her keys up again but missed catching them and they fell down the gap between the open elevator door and the floor. I actually felt kinda bad for her until she said "Oh no not again!".

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Some years back I was watching a news program from America (20 minutes?) and there was a street interview with "ordinary" people. One of them was asked where Denmark was and answered that she was pretty sure it was the capital of Sweden.

On the same program there was a reference to an older story (WWII) about some Americans believing that in Denmark polar bears roamed free in the streets of Copenhagen.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Thank you very much for the beer through the nose episode I just had while reading this, people. Seriously though, I just recently pulled the, "Look! A dead bird!" thing on my brother-in-law.

Just good, funny stuff right there.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here in the UK they sometimes play recordings of calls to the emergency services as an example of the stupidity of some calls.
Recently they played one of a woman who had phoned 'because her cat was annoying her'. Seriously....

Here are some examples of some supposedly real insurance claims:
Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have.

The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention.

I thought my window was down, but I found it was up when I put my head through it.

I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way.

In an attempt to kill a fly I drove into a telephone pole.

I had been shopping for plants all day and was on my way home. As I reached an intersection a hedge sprang up, obscuring my vision and I did not see the other car.

I had been driving for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.

As I approached an intersection a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.

To avoid hitting the bumper of the car in front I struck a pedestrian.

It makes ya think!

[edit on 9-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armour For Victor
reply to post by Mountainmeg

The story of kathy evans is a HOAX.
Here

www.snopes.com...

And snopes is the MOTHER of ALL DISINFO! I rather believe a person with a 65 iq THAN them........

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadameGuillotine
the Nancy Pelosi one, real or not reminded me of this email I got...

GUESS WHICH ONE....... NBA or NFL

Even if you aren't a sports fan this is very interesting! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,
and 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is? NBA Or NFL ? Give up yet? Scroll down, Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

So how does that relate? We are the idiots that keep voting these idiot back into office!

No we are not idiots, just tolerant fools but I assure you one day people will rise and knock them into the *abyss of darkness* where they belong.

I for one am getting SICK of having to live in such a SICK SYSTEM such as this and can only hope the revolution(whether peaceful or not) happens in my generation.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

While I do not doubt that Americans are dumbed down, your example is a hoax.

www.snopes.com...

And, there is a REAL example of foolishness on the game show given......but it isnt the American version.

Stupid doesnt respect national boundaries.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
It's always funny to see older people stereotyping today's youth. You see, they can spell words without a spell checker, make mathematical calculations without a calculator, and remember all their friend's phone numbers off by heart. Impressive indeed.

Then ask them to transfer a file from a backup hard drive onto an iPod and what's the usual response? Or how to change the settings on their mobile phone.

I think it is more an issue of becoming a lot more reliant on technology compared to times passed.

You are right about the math teaching thing though

[edit on 8/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

When one consider the difference between the above mentioned tasks and their respective application in life and therefore their importance I think this answer is the best proof of the dumbing down that is happening.

Personally I think exercising your memory is so much more useful than knowing how to change the ring tone to the newest rap.

But hey! I could just be me...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I remembered this situation some time ago, and though there is a seirious issue with this post, this one did make me laugh, some say it was a hoax, but i am not sure about that, have a look

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

The worst people are those who are good at studying and doing very well in exams of all subjects. But seem to have no common sense to understand things outside what they are tought.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

That reminds me of something a guest wrote on a feedback form after visiting the retreat center I run: "and the mechanical deer in the field look so genuine--amazing!" Yes, it's true: real deer are extinct here in the Catskills and small non-profits like ours tend to spend at least half our budget on life-like robot animals to amuse idiots.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Not trying to stir anything up - I happen to agree with your post - but, since when do threads "talk"? Your point appears to be grammatical errors and misuse of language, does that fact that threads don't "talk" count, in your opinion?

We all screw up. All of us. How many of us would be willing to step forward and admit to our own worst moment of stupidity? If no one else here will, allow me to be the first - I got married.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Just remembered one. I don't know if it's true or not, but I recall seeing it "in the news".

A guy sued an RV company because while driving cross-country, he put it on cruise control and went in the back to make a sandwich!

The thing went off into the ditch and he was hurt very badly, I believe.

Anyone else hear about this? It was at lest ten years ago, I think.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
oh my god you could make an entire website out of this.

www.mylifeisfullofidiots.com

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

this is funny kinda gets me mad but then i laugh, but the worst part is that these people reproduce lol

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
I mean, so many "clever" people seem to post here all having one thing in common, believing that religions are for stupid people..

Well, I wouldn't say that religions are for the stupid, but it attracts people who don't really care to think for themselves. Even if God created the Earth, religions are created by People, just as fallible & power-mad as anyone else might be.
Smarter people tend to shy away from the larger "organized" religions, simply because of one of the Laws of Nature...The larger any one entity gets, the more it deprives others until it reaches a point of self-destruction. Remember the "big fish in a little pond" syndrome? The same goes for human-created entities as well...History shows the tendency of governments that grow so large that they suck the vitality out of the very people that support it, until the whole nation collapses under its weight. In a related venue, what about the government "bailing out" these financial institutions that were deemed "too big to fail?" In truth, the grew so big by using predatory lending practices (ie: taking "food" from others) that they were on the verge of collapsing when their clients were forced into so many defaults at the same time. The government stepped in & propped them up with our money/credit simply to delay the inevitable...In short, the government is violating the Laws of Nature even though the government itself is already "too big for its own britches."
The US started with small, limited-by-law government & the People are trying to get back to the basics now & reduce government size/power, as evidenced from this.

Originally posted by LiteraryOneTwo
...and yes, we the people are guilty of being so stupid as to keep electing these very people who constantly give themselves payraises, while complaining about the economy...

when it comes to their own salaries, they appear more than stupid, just plain greedy!

It's even worse than that...They keep bribing each other with our money to promote their own personal agendas! If I'm not mistaken, that constitutes "misappropriation of public funds for the purpose of committing bribery" on one hand & "accepting bribes while under Oath of Office" on the other hand...Both hands are committing CRIMES, as pointed out in this book.

Originally posted by Lasheic
It's been my experience that the problem isn't so much one of misdirection and information restriction, but rather a problem on the part of the individual and in part on society/culture (as an amalgamation of individuals).

Actually, this is exactly what the problem is...That of misdirection & information restriction. All throughout human history, those that rule are the very same people who control the access of information because it's the only way they can maintain their rulership. Why else do you think that Obama was all about "transparency in government" during his campaign, but turned 180 degrees once in Office? He's even gone so far as to allow Interpol into the US & granted them complete immunity from US prosecution...Then giving Interpol a whole bunch of documentation to hold against public scrutiny?

reply to post by SheaWolf

About that little snippet in the newspaper you posted...In a way, the author of that was correct. The meat that was "made" in the grocery store wasn't harmed there. The meat was harmed in the slaughterhouse, THEN sent to the grocery store...

But this just goes to emphasize one of my questions, just above here; evidently, the author of this newspaper snippet is one of those too stupid to survive if they couldn't engage in their own specialized occupation. The public education system encourages "depth" in specific subjects, but de-emphasizes "breadth AND depth" of knowledge that people would need to survive.
We are creatures evolved with both body & mind; As the flesh grows stronger with exercise or atrophies under laziness, so to does the mind benefit from use or degrade from non-use.

There is a persistent underlying belief that the world is circling the drain, and will dissipate in a whirlpool of savagery and violence. Stories of war, murder, and assault fill our media airwaves... but, as anybody who has researched even basic level statistics in light of claims made about video games will tell you, the rates of violent crime in first world nations has been on the decline for the past few decades...

As is evident all over the US, with Kenesaw, GA as one example: Since they freed the 2nd Amendment in the Municipal Codes, their statistics show a marked drop in violent crimes over the years.

I would attribute these negative perceptions to emergent phenomena resultant from the bottom-up self-organization of interactions between independent agents and other emergent trends following simpler general rules with a component of amplifying feedback. I think the perception of top-down overt and intelligently directed control is invalid and incompatible with how reality actually works.

Actually, the top-down kind of management is exactly what all "rulers" promote, all over the world & all throughout history. But what's the one thing that all of this kind of management has in common? Look at history; governments grow big, then collapse; Empires rise, then fall. What's the most likely thing to happen if the so-called NWO actually achieves the goal of controlling the whole world? FAILURE! So I don't agree that your estimate is a result of "thinking simplistically." You put it in simplistic terms, but the concept behind it is right on the money! As far as I'm concerned, the so-called NWO is nothing of the kind. There's nothing "new" with their strategies to achieve world-wide control; their tactics change with access to modernizing technologies, but their basic strategy remains the same as is always was. In short, the so-called New World Order is really the Old World Order, because they still do things the Old Way. Why else would it be true that "history repeats itself?"

America started out differently from any other nation in history; The US started out with a limited government, governed by Laws instead of the individuals given government powers. In essence, this is the People governing themselves & the government itself, all under a body of Common Law...This is the whole essence behind the Constitutional Republic; the bottom-up style of management with a specific core of rules!

America was wealthy & prosperous as long as the government accepted these limitations & obeyed their Oaths of Office. Now that the Feds have centralized & expanded government power this far, we can see the results of top-down organization; this has always been the same result, never-changing, down throughout our history.

Even in business, very little positive results can be achieved with top-down management: The best thing that top management can do is to be certain that "ground rules" are set & enforced, even if the rules are enforced on themselves. The problem occurs when that "top management" begins to view itself as being "above the rules."

Many failing businesses fail because they screw over their low-level workers! All this does is undermine the "base of the pyramid," in such that the workers, feeling betrayed, stop working efficiently or simply quit. Other businesses fail because they desire to "rip off" their customers...No business can survive without a base of customers that would be willing to buy their products! Far too often, the "upper management" looks at only the "bottom line" & makes their cuts from expenses from the wrong areas...Customer service & the low-levels workers that actually perform all of the tasks that keep the business prosperous.

In a way, the NWO is practicing this same kind of "screw the little guy" attitude that ultimately results in failed governments & fallen empires throughout history. The same thing that has happened in history & in business is going to happen to the NWO as well...Too much of "screw the little guy" & the NWO will fall.

---------------Concluded Below---------------

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
-----------Concluded From Above-----------

Originally posted by neo5842
I'm not picking on any group, but it would seem the younger generations would suffer more than us older ones if modernisation were to be removed for a short time, take the weather in the UK at the moment, because people are not able to get about, or get what they need from the store, they panic, like bread ins't an easy thing to make. But that's the point it is easy, but most people have never been shown how to, which is why i say, everyone has pretty much and equal opportunity to be intelligence and have common sense and even basic life skills, but they have been slowly removed from the learning curve deliberately to make peoples reliance on the system that much more, giving the system more control over the masses.

I'm in my late 40's & was a bachelor for all but about 9-1/2 years of that time...I remember that some guys in high school were talking derisively about me because I took Home-Ec classes. But today, I wonder how many of them could take some basic ingredients & make a healthy meal out of them, or take a bolt of cloth (with basic tools, but not including a sewing machine) & come up with some reasonably durable clothes if they needed to? Granted, I'd never be able to come up with something "stylish" but I'd bet I'd be the last to drop dead from frostbite! Admittedly, I still haven't gotten the "knack" of making fire without matches, but I'm working on it. Even further, I may not know enough about ecology to pick out which berries would be non-poisonous, but I at least know to watch if birds will eat them first.

Even so, I've been learning about computers & electronics since the 'ol Commodore 64 was considered "top of the line" & even learned electronics in the military & college...But I still have some basic skills to fall back on.
But I still think you're right about such skills being "removed from the learning curve." The government subsizing of public schools is the primary cause of it. The whole system of government today is geared towards "enforced ignorance."

BTW neo5842, I like your avatar...Yeah, I've seen the movie. The "V" identity has been put to good use, even in protests against the government, as was seen here...Even the Washington Post accurately described in an article what the reason was behind the protest.

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Obviously, from so many examples, being stupid means following protocols. If your protocol doesn't address (answer) the situation - you're stuck "stupid". That is, non-creative behavior is stupid.

The single most-avoided skill being taught in schools seems to be that of "Critical Thinking." Much the same way that "investigative" has been removed from "reporting." Too much over-specialization is what keeps us stepping further away from basic, common truths about life.

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane
Some years back I was watching a news program from America (20 minutes?) and there was a street interview with "ordinary" people. One of them was asked where Denmark was and answered that she was pretty sure it was the capital of Sweden.

Well, you can't really judge intelligence with questions like that, because not everybody would have an interest in geography to the extent of committing every country's location to rote memory. However, the real test of intelligence is not what you know from your own memory, but whether or not you have some idea where to look for the answers to your questions. In short, the ability to conduct some basic research (& a healthy dose of "critical thinking") is a better sign of intelligence.

Originally posted by Wang Tang
oh my god you could make an entire website out of this.

Good idea...If you would make it as a ".net" or ".org" website...If you make it as a commercial site, the government will tax & regulate you into oblivion.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyerThe whole system of government today is geared towards "enforced ignorance."

It's the principle of the matter. A free people cannot be governed.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Are we really this dumb? Well, take a look at the following from a serious Reuters/ Yahoo news release:

Under a Ponzi scheme, early investors are conned by way bogus returns paid with money from subsequent victims, with the plan's perpetrators pocketing the cash as the fraud collapses.

Source:
ca.news.finance.yahoo.com...

"Way bogus returns" ??

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
When the newer "investors" put in their money, only the earlier "investors" get paid...The only way to maintain that pay rate is to keep suckering in an ever-increasing base of newer people. When new people don't pay up, what happens? It collapses. Same as what's happened with Social Security...They got a vast number of Baby Boomers to "join" but since then fewer people have been joining. The system is failing because the government couldn't maintain the ever-increasing number of people required to sustain it. This is why the promised payoff is bogus...It collapses when "recruitment" drops off.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join