It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really this dumb?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+72 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It is said that the MSM, and our governments have been and are in the process of dumbing us down, so we become good little workers and stay within the law.

Well I was sent an email from a good friend, headed they are all around us. So i had a good look, and well when i picked myself up off the floor from laughing at some of the comments posted, it started me thinking. Can people really be this dumb, or is it part of the dumbing down set by the MSM, and government. I will past them here and you can decide for your self, I hope this works as this is the first thread i have been able to post, fingers crossed. Have fun.

They walk among us......................
IDIOT SIGHTING #1
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's take-out window and I gave the clerk a £5 note. Our total was £4.20, so I also handed her a twenty pence piece.
She said, 'you gave me too much money.'
I said,'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me £1 back.'
She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 20 pence and said 'We're sorry but we don't do that kind of thing.'
The clerk then proceeded to give me back 80 pence in change..

IDIOT SIGHTING #2
We had to have the garage door repaired. The GARADOR repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one GARADOR made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said, 'Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower.'
I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4 and he said, 'NOOO, it's not. Four is larger than two..' We haven't used Garador repair since. Happened in Moor Park, Nr Watford, UK

IDIOT SIGHTING #3
I live in a semi rural area. We recently had a new neighbour call the Highways Department to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on our road.
The reason: 'Too many deer are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore.'
Story from Potters Bar, Herts, UK

IDIOT SIGHTING #4
My daughter went to a local Kentucky Fried and ordered a taco. She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.
From South Oxhey, Herts, UK

IDIOT SIGHTING #5
I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an Irish airport employee asked, 'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your Knowledge?'
To which I replied, 'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded, 'That's why we ask.'
Happened Luton Airport, UK

IDIOT SIGHTING #6
The stoplight on the corner beeps when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged co-worker of mine.
She asked if I knew what the beeping was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, 'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'
She is a Local County Counciller employee in Harrow, Middlesex, UK

IDIOT SIGHTING #7
When my husband and I arrived at Our Local Ford dealer to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver's side door.
As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.
'Hey,' I announced to the Fitter/Mechanic, 'its open!'
His reply, 'I know. I already did that side.'
This was at the Ford dealership in St Albans, Hertfordshire, UK.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Listen to c-span in the morning, when listeners call in to voice their opinions.. Jesus, it's sad.

We're not necessarily stupid, we're just largely atomized (separated from having a meaningful relationship with other people. The average American has 1 best friend, or 0 best friends) which makes it easier for elites to propagandize the public.

And.. It's working.. It's working very well.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sadly, I've had clerks unable to give change on numerous occasions.

But then we are much more dumbed down than the UK is. My daughter spends only about half her time in high school learning anything. The rest the teachers let them fool around or sluff. I'm really concerned about this!

Here is how bad we are compared to your neighborhood...

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Here's the American version. And, yes, I do believe the average person has been dumbed down this much.

NEW YORK - resident Kathy Evans brought humiliation to her friends and family
When she set a new standard for stupidity with her appearance
On the popular TV show, 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.'

Evans, a 32-year-old wife and mother of two, got stuck on the first question
And proceeded to make what fans of the show are dubbing 'the absolute worst use
Of lifelines ever.' After being introduced to the show's host
Meredith Vieira, Evans was posed with a typically easy initial $100 question.

The question was: 'Which of the following is the largest?'

A) A Peanut
B) An Elephant
C) The Moon
D) Hey, who you calling large?

Immediately Mrs. Evans was struck with an all consuming panic as she did not
Readily know the answer. 'Hmm, oh boy, that's a toughie,' said Evans,
As Vieira did her level best to hide her disbelief.
'I mean, I'm sure I've heard of some of these things before,
But I have no idea how large they would be.'

Evans made the decision to use the first of her three lifelines, the 50/50.
Answers A and D were removed, leaving her to decide which was
Bigger, an elephant or the moon. However, faced with an incredibly
Easy question, Evans still remained unsure.

'Oh! It removed the two I was leaning towards!' exclaimed Evans...
'Darn. I think I better phone a friend.'
Mrs. Evans asked to be connected with her friend
Betsy, who is an office assistant.

'Hi Betsy! How are you? This is Kathy! I'm on TV!' said Evans,
Wasting the first seven seconds of her call.
'Ok, I got an important question. Which of the following is the largest?
B, an elephant, or C, the moon. 15 seconds Hun.'
Betsy quickly replied that the answer was C, the moon.
Evans proceeded to argue with her friend for the remaining ten seconds.
'Betsy, are you sure?' said Evans. 'How sure are you? Duh, that can't be it.'

To everyone's astonishment, the moronic Evans declined to take her friend's
Advice. 'I just don't know if I can trust Betsy. She's not all that bright.
So I think I'd like to ask the audience,' said Evans.

Asked to vote on the correct answer, the audience returned 98% in favor of
Answer C, 'The Moon.' Having used up all her lifelines,
Evans then made the dumbest choice of her life.
'Wow, seems like everybody is against what I'm thinking,' said the
Too-stupid-to-live Evans. 'But you know, sometimes you just got to go with
Your gut. So, let's see... I'm going to have to go with B, an elephant. Final answer.'

Evans sat before the dumbfounded audience, the only one waiting with bated breath -
And was told that she was wrong, and that the answer was in fact, C, 'The Moon.'

Caution...they walk among us!
---------------------
This one is equally unbelievable. (No comments needed!)

They Walk Among Us!
----------------------------

Some guy bought a new fridge for his house.
To get rid of his old fridge, he put it in his front yard and hung a
Sign on it saying: 'Free to good home. You want it, you take it.'
For three days the fridge sat there without anyone looking twice.
He eventually decided that people were too mistrustful of this deal.
So he changed the sign to read: 'Fridge for sale $50.'

The next day someone stole it!

They walk amongst us!
-------------------------------------
I stopped at Mc Donald’s and ordered some fries.
The girl behind the counter said “would you like some fries with that?”

--------------------------
*One day I was walking down the beach with some friends when someone shouted....
'Look at that dead bird!'
Someone looked up at the sky and said...'where?'

They walk among us!

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
And the rest:

While looking at a house, my brother asked the Estate agent which direction was north because He didn't want the sun waking him up every morning.
She asked, 'Does the sun rise in the north?'
My brother explained that the sun rises in the east And has for sometime.
She shook her head and said,
'Oh, I don't keep up with all that stuff......'

They Walk Among Us!
--------------------------------------------

My colleague and I were eating our lunch in our cafeteria,when we overheard an admin girl talking about the sunburn she got on her weekend drive to the beach.
She drove down in a convertible, but said she 'didn't think she'd get sunburned
because the car was moving'.

They Walk Among Us!
------------------------------------

My sister has a lifesaving tool in her car which is designed to cut through a seat belt
if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the car trunk.

They Walk Among Us!
-------------------------------------------------

I was going out with a friend when we saw a woman with a nose ring attached to an earring by a chain.
My friend said, 'Ouch! The chain must rip out every time she turns her head!"
I had to explain that a person's nose and ear remain the same distance apart no
matter which way the head is turned...

They Walk Among Us !
-------------------------------
I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area and went to the lost luggage office and reported the loss.
The woman there smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and said I was in good hands.
'Now,' she asked me, 'Has your plane arrived yet?'...
(I work with professionals like this.)

They Walk Among Us!
------------------------------------------------
While working at a pizza parlor I observed a man
ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time
then said 'Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat 6 pieces.

They Walk Among Us!
And last, but not least:

Dumb as a box of Rocks
A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE KIND OF REPRESENTATION WE HAVE IN CONGRESS, TRUE STORY:

A noted psychiatrist was a guest speaker at an academic function where Nancy Pelosi happened to appear. Ms Pelosi took the opportunity to schmooze the good doctor a bit and asked him a question with which he was most at ease.

'Would you mind telling me, Doctor,' she asked, 'how you detect a mental deficiency in somebody who appears completely normal?'

'Nothing is easier,' he replied. 'You ask a simple question which anyone should answer with no trouble. If the person hesitates, that puts you on the track..'

'What sort of question?' asked Pelosi.

Well, you might ask, 'Captain Cook made three trips around the world and died during one of them. Which one?''

Pelosi thought a moment, and then said with a nervous laugh, 'You wouldn't happen to have another example would you? I must confess I don't know much about history.'

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ok, the Nancy Pelosi one is false per Snopes. Seems the joke predates Pelosi by quite a bit. But it's still funny!

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
the Nancy Pelosi one, real or not reminded me of this email I got...

GUESS WHICH ONE....... NBA or NFL

Even if you aren't a sports fan this is very interesting! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,
and 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is? NBA Or NFL ? Give up yet? Scroll down, Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

So how does that relate? We are the idiots that keep voting these idiot back into office!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

Yes, people are that stupid in general. Gross stupidity just bowls me over. Sometimes I do/say things that are stupid, once in a great while, but I have the honesty to correct myself, and I do get a good laugh out of it. But, it those that are unaware of their stupidity that just get me. It's not just the UK, it's everywhere. Here in the U.S. the epidemic of gross stupidity is rampant.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sounds like the movie "Idiocracy" is already reality.

INFO
www.imdb.com...

TRAILER

[edit on 7-1-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

I had a similar thing happen when we moved from Scotland back to England, we were moving to a much smaller house, and decided to give some of our things away, so we put them out the front with a sign saying free to collector, we were amazed as some of the local lads smashed the Security camera and started grabbing the stuff and running down the street with it, Like they were steeling it. Not as funny as yours, but it brought it to mind.

It does make you think though, what happened to common scenes, and basic education, and is it something thats happening all over, its so working in the US, and the UK. Even Obama said something about not having visiting the 58the American state yet

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadameGuillotine
the Nancy Pelosi one, real or not reminded me of this email I got...

GUESS WHICH ONE....... NBA or NFL

Even if you aren't a sports fan this is very interesting! ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

36 have been accused of spousal abuse
7 have been arrested for fraud
19 have been accused of writing bad checks
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
3 have done time for assault
71 repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
8 have been arrested for shoplifting
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,
and 84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is? NBA Or NFL ? Give up yet? Scroll down, Neither, it's the 535 members of the United States Congress The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

So how does that relate? We are the idiots that keep voting these idiot back into office!

That's awesome!

Do you have the sorce for that quote?

I may need to use it during a discussion someday.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg

They Walk Among Us!
----------------------------

Some guy bought a new fridge for his house.
To get rid of his old fridge, he put it in his front yard and hung a
Sign on it saying: 'Free to good home. You want it, you take it.'
For three days the fridge sat there without anyone looking twice.
He eventually decided that people were too mistrustful of this deal.
So he changed the sign to read: 'Fridge for sale $50.'

The next day someone stole it!

I did this with a chair. Tried to sell it off, nobody wanted it. So, I put it out with a sign saying that the chair was free, just to take it. It sat there for a week. My wife was convinced that we'd have to haul the chair off to the dump, but I told her to watch idiocy in action. I put a sign saying the chair was $10, and in the morning it was gone. We both still have a good laugh over that. A friend of ours was having the same problem trying to get rid of a couple of items, and they didn't last two days after she put a price on them.

I think it has to do with a dollar value concept. If it's free, people think there's something wrong with it, and don't want it. But, if you put a dollar amount on it the item gains value in peoples minds, and they will 'steal' it given the first chance.

So, even today, if I intend to just give something away, I give it a nominal $5 value, make some pocket change, and get rid of the item. It's all psychological.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Thinking about it, that has its benefits, i have a house full of things i dont want and things that i dont think people would want to pay for, but if i do that, putting a price on them and leaving them outside, what a great way to get rid of the junk, I never thought of that, i will try it when the snow has gone

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

unfortunately not.
I just received it as an e-mail.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

I think the main reason the control of media interaction with our government is so that we cannot see how really stupid our elected officials are.

I myself would love to see a free wheel discussion of topics by our officials, in the debates, instead of the regimented ones we see now. Before even the debates are given, questions and the formats are all ironed out so that we do not even get to see anything, but the politician's handlers pre-worked out answers.

And the member that brought up Idiocracy, star for you.

OP, S&F

edit to add-OKay, I spelled Idiocracy-Idiocy, oh well-put me on the idiot list!

[edit on 1/7/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Although the point the OP is trying to make is not really funny, the stories made me laugh so hard!!! Thanks for making my day a little bit brighter!! (no pun intended)

Star and flagged!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
And the rest:

They Walk Among Us !
-------------------------------
I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area and went to the lost luggage office and reported the loss.
The woman there smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and said I was in good hands.
'Now,' she asked me, 'Has your plane arrived yet?'...
(I work with professionals like this.)

That one makes me laugh. I've heard Bill Engvall use it in one of his "Here's your sign" schticks.

I witnessed something once that made me roll my eyes. I was in a Dunkin Donuts one day and while I was waiting in line the manager was conducting an interview at a table near where I was waiting. The girl he was interviewing had brought a translator with her, After a while he asked the translator, "Does she speak English?" Now, I may be a bit harsh here, but all I could think was..."Buddy, if she could speak english, do you think that she would have brought a translator with her for the interview??"

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Love this thread. Was was once given the wrong amount of change at a till. It was some simple deduction and the till was clearly faulty. The young cashier kept insisting that according to the till, I had the right amount. The entire (middle aged) queue then joined in on my side and the girl eventually backtracked. Reminded me of the Little Britain sketch 'Computer says no'.

Also, I often offer say £4.20 for a £3.20 item so they can give me a round £1 change. No problem. But why oh why when I make the offer do they always say, 'Yes if you've got it'. I feel like replying 'Sorry just teasing!'

Oh and on this very site, a poster was taken to task for referring to Adelaide and not saying where it was. Is it me...?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo5842

Brilliant. Sheer class OP thanks.

I too have experienced the change scenerio many times. I experienced it the other way round too- asking someone if they had an extra 20p so i could round up their change to a pound. Sometimes they would demand only to pay the price on the label not the extra increased price I was charging at the till.

I had also heard of the urban myth of the locked car door situ, but never believed it was real until today.

A few years back I was working in the Sheraton Hotel in Edinburgh and i was completely stumped and speechless when a Canadian women came up to me amazed and gobsmaked that everyone she'd met since arriving spoke and wrote in English. No it's not what you think. She didn't think everyone in Scotland spoke 'Scotch' she had been sure everyone in Scotland had to speak French seeing as it was part of France. true tale I kid you not.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by spookfish]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I love these posts.

I recently moved into my new home and needed some appliances. From a Craigslist advert. I puchased a washer/dryer and fridge for about $350.00 until I could later afford new appliances. You get what you pay for.

The man refurbished and sold appliances as his living.

Upon setting the fridge up I asked him if he could level the fridge. He said all refridgeraters should be installed at a backward tilt. Were talking a one inch tilt here. He said otherwise water would drip out to the floor.

What in the heck are leveling feet for?! I suppose what he really meant to say was that this unit is damaged and you are a sucker! Thank god I'm getting a new one next month.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join