It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help with 2 really weird bugging problems...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
These are 2 problems I am trying to fix for 2 people. Notice I am keeping these short and sweet, as much detail as I am safe with:

Person #1: Has someone who calls her cellphone, leaving insipid, weird messages in a scratchy, hoarse voice on a line riddled with static and signal loss. Her cellphone labels the calls as coming from her phone. The caller also has access to the house phone, which to this person's knowledge, no one has given out, and can't be found on the internet.

Person#2: The landlady, who is a busybody, comes into this person's place of residence whenever she feels like (yes, breaking tenant/ landlord laws) has done the following- Whenever this person has openly complained on the phone, in their room, about the landlady (this has happened twice), the landlady calls seconds later backpedalling on the exact same complaint.

I'd like to know what resources could be used in one, either, or both cases, and any remedies that can be used. I will be searching person #2's room and check for bugs and the like. Also- should the police be called, or should they only be called after proof of something?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sounds like the land lady has tapped the house line to the tenant and is listening in on the tenant.

Which has caused interference on the line, hence the static. If she has snooped the apartment - she obviously found phone bills and such so has obtained the telephone numbers.

Check the phone lines on the outside of the house. I bet the landlady has run a second line from the apartment to her house.

If these are unrelated to each other - I don't have a clue about the cell phone thing. I would complain to the cell phone company.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Julie Washington]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hmm being in Europe i will refrain from giving advice.
One thing is for sure.
Some people are in trouble

In any case i would suggest keeping you cool in handling the situation as best as possible.

Keeps us posted.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I believe you have enough proof, at the very leats to go to your local tenant assosciation and lodge a formal complaint against your landlord. You are right it is very illegal for the person to enter your home wihtout your prior concession. This must be made aware to her, and she can loose her position as such. I dont know if you are at call the police level yet, but what you can do is call them and ask. Most police officials will point you in the right direction.
I had a landlord once go into my apartment without my concent and i lost my mind on them, it was a one time occurance but if it had persisted i would have called the local housing committe or whatever it is labelled in your area.
I think you are correct in your thinking it has to stop.
As for the phone calls, are we assuming they are coming from the landlord? Or no connection just a seperate weird event? I am not well versed on how phones work so for them to have callr id as her own phone is weird. Unless of ocurse its herself from the futur calling back ala South Park

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
With a simple computer program you can mask your number you are calling from and make it appear as any number you want. A good test would be once the call his complete, call the number you were just talking to; if its a verizon Cell phone, chances are really good it will go to #1's voice mail. you can also call the phone company and tell them to block her number from being able to call her phone, but they should be able to still check their mail. Also, consider getting a new phone.

tell friend #2 to move. Its that simple. If this Idiot land lady is brazen enough to call like that, then it is HIGHLY probable they have done more, that friend 2 doesnt even know about. They make Spy Cam and bug locators, which might be helpful.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I need to throw in- with Person #1, this person lives with family who owns their own home- no landlady/ landlord. I found out their cellphone # is being used not only for their own cellphone (they called the cell co, who swears up and down it must be a glitch), but their cellphone # is showing up on the house phone caller ID.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
#1 has a dupe. I.E., a stolen account ported to another phone. This can easily be verified by looking at the monthly bill and checking the call log, or has a stalker spoofing the caller I.D. Complaints to the company and police are in order.

As for #2, I am surprised no one mentioned "dirty tricks". Example:
(Outgoing call) " Hey Sue, I'll be over in an hour to watch that movie, but I have to find someplace to hide that $1000.00 I just found. I think that spot way back in the cabinet above the fridge would be just perfect, because you can't see it and have to reach way back to even get to it. O.K., bye---see you in an hour."

Of course, prior to leaving the spot mentioned is stocked with a dozen or so rat traps.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My god there's some nutters about!

I wouldnt advise that you do this, but I'd be tempted to call the landlady from a private number and start leaving some hoarse, weird messages of my own, and see what happens.

But yea, at the very least the landlady is in trouble for entering the residence without notice. How many times has she actually done that?

Going to the police would be the best idea. Its probably not at a point where they can actually do anything, but they should be able to give you advice on what to do.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox

As for #2, I am surprised no one mentioned "dirty tricks". Example:
(Outgoing call) " Hey Sue, I'll be over in an hour to watch that movie, but I have to find someplace to hide that $1000.00 I just found. I think that spot way back in the cabinet above the fridge would be just perfect, because you can't see it and have to reach way back to even get to it. O.K., bye---see you in an hour."

Of course, prior to leaving the spot mentioned is stocked with a dozen or so rat traps.

Wow, great Idea. In fact, if you can get her snooping on a hidden video camera you would be doing SUPERBLY well. like, you could sue for ALOT, or atleast reveres extort her to insure it never happens again, because then she will know that you know about what she is doing.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Oh... If I could, I would.

NC law prohibits the filming or recording of people without their permission. As absolutely insane this law is (tho if I find a bug, it'll work in my friend's favor, oddly enough), it's still a law in this nutso state.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Nanny cams aren't legal in NC?
Even without sound?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Nope. Especially not for recoding purposes. Keeps the dishonest ones in power easily.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
North Carolina
North Carolina does not have a specific law regarding hidden cameras in private places.

Source

Currently, it is legal in all states to make a video-only recording of anything happening in your home, at any time, without informing anyone. Because the camera is hidden has no effect on this concept.
As long as your camera is video only (no sound is being recorded), then you can do whatever you want with it, in your own home.

It is illegal to record someone's voice without their permission in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire,
Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington State.

If you live in any of these states, be sure the hidden camera/nanny camera DOES NOT record sound before buying one.

Source

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

I'm going to be looking for audio bugs, mostly- tho I will be passing on the 'no sound video recording' to the second person. She's completely convinced the landlady strolls into her place whenever she feels like it. My old landlord did that and even with PROOF- I couldn't get a single thing done about it. Heck, I had witnesses galore.

Moving OUT of NC as fast as humanly possible.....

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Look for bugs, hidden cameras etc, find someone who understands about telecommunications check the lines, and THEN call the police. Also the tennant should have a talk with the landlady. I'd change my locks just in case without letting the landlady know. Whilst she is the owner, she doesn't have the right to infringe the tennant's privacy.

join