It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encryption for our PC's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hi there.
I would like to discuss some forms of encryption for home end-users.

Lets try to create some kind of rankings.

I'm currently using TrueCrypt but as for upstanding paranoid
i found out its Hackable by BootKit (its a form of rootkit) but not to write too much about it.

For me main goal is "deniable encryption" of whole drives and partitions plus On-the-fly encryption.
Never tried Bitlocker since i'm on WinXP and a legit user so no point spending 120$ on next stupid windows version.

I would love some of You people with skills here to point out some very best methods and software .

Please list if possible : method of encoding , pros and cons.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Kick Bill Gates to the door and get Linux Ubuntu.
Not as hard to install as you would think and its free.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

hehe i have no problem with linux (was a slack user) but the problem for me is that i play alot of games yet
(regardless of my age)
hehe

Back on topic :
i was thinking of some kind of bootloader on some flash drive wich would eliminate the need of having MBR not encoded on disks.

lets say i boot from pendrive then it asks me for main password or key file then it would proceed to drive / partition selection like grub/lilo.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Might look to something like GnuPG or PGP, from what I've heard they run some of the strongest crypto available to consumers at this point in time, not sure if they can do whole disk like you are looking for, but in the case of GnuPG its quite likely that someone has developed a tool to make it do just that.

top topics

join