It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Forum for Kids'?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
removed cause there's simply no point

[edit on 8 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
EDIT: because it's really not worth getting into.

To address the topic of the thread instead of another poster --

I really don't see the need for a separate ATS for kids. In my opinion, it's probably better for them to be able to participate in threads that might bother them than just to read them without being able to contribute. Plus it would pretty much require some sort of administrative panel to decide what was "true" and "false", what information was "safe for kids" and what wasn't.

Right there you have a huge problem -- who would decide? There is an incredibly diverse range of beliefs about pretty much all the issues on here; to decide which side of various issues could be discussed in front of kids would inevitably lead to the site admin having to "take sides" -- something they seem to avoid doing, to the benefit of all of us.

I also have a question -- people keep talking about how under-18's shouldn't be on here anyway. Is that true? I don't remember anything about that in the T&C's, but maybe it's there?

[edit on 1/7/2010 by americandingbat]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Only for those who feel they need vent their emotional and anger issues on ATS as therapy....

Is this directed at me?

Originally posted by tribewilder
Is someone feeling like they need a hug?

No.

Believe me there is more maturity in BTS, than drivel like this...

What is the "this" you are referring to? The thread or my post?

Anyway, I was and probably always will be a fan of ATS over BTS. That's just me though.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Some of the posts I have read makes me think that the kids' are
already here(8-12 year olds).

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

For one, I do take responsibility for my expression.
I believe that.

For two, I wonder why you think someone in the popular media isn't considered just as Anonymous as we are, for all intents and purposes. Popular Media these days is such that you cannot actively predict whom will view and identify with any given celebrity, politician, etc...
First of all, to a high degree, the popular media has to deal with a good portion of the truth, even when they are putting a spin on it. Some of it might even be wrong, or fabricated. But, for the most part, this is the exception, and not the rule. And, for only one reason: Selfishness. Nobody wants to look bad, lose a job, hurt the company, lose money, lose respect, etc.
The most defining attribute to being a member of the "popular media", is BEING KNOWN. There is no hiding.

But, the more important factor, is that Bill O'Reilly doesn't have a disturbed kid calling him, and telling him he has been getting probed by aliens at night, only to have Bill reply that everything will be fine if the kid wears a tin-foil hat. And, even if Bill did that, he is well known, and people would find out. And, he would have to take responsibility for it.

In here, a person can, and usually does say anything they want, without having to take responsible for it. And, the kid does make a connection to the adult.

Further, most celebrities that are considered more than acceptable media for the next generation are moronic idiots who spout the status quo and implicitly encourage the degradation of critical thought in conjunction with a kind of social worshipping (celebrity = celebrate) that actually encourages reactive behaviour...which is probably where you get alot of deviant social behaviours and crime.
I hear you, but, come on... Do you know any kids that worship newscasters, or don't actively make fun of famous people?
But, yes, your description of them is right on the money.

It all boils down to lack of education - and we here have a forum for constructive presentation of information for one to arrive at one's own conclusion (despite some of the inanity to be found). I fail to see how such constructive interaction need to be kept from someone especially when accepted medias are just repititious, trendy crap.
I understand what you are saying. But, there are reasons why kids are not exposed to certain topics and details and people.
They aren't ready to sort it all out. And, they shouldn't have to.

As for Socrates...he pontificated on math, on social mores, on government, on the heavens, on his surroundings...while he is cited as being the identity for his time, there is nothing to say that there were people elsewhere in his world who were capable of the same thing. And we here on ATS pontificate and discuss about all of those topics.
I'm sorry. If a person doesn't have the actual intelligence and knowledge and experience of Socrates, they are not Socrates. And, unfortunately, many members are unable to make this distinction about themselves, and are still "pontificating", sometimes to very impressionable, vulnerable kids that are looking for answers.

Seriously, where is all of this angst coming from?
It may seem like I am trying to step in front of "educating" in the real cutting edge topics and ideas, or trying to enforce rules and laws where they aren't needed.

That is not how it is at all.

If somebody were to go back, and read all my threads, going back years, you would see one common theme: It's ALL BS.
But, that doesn't just go for Conservatives, it goes for Liberals. Not just Traditional Thinkers out there, but Alternative Idealists in here. Freedom Freaks and Controllers.
They are ALL THE SAME!
The people out there, trying to make you feel bad about dressing "weird", are no different from the person in here, telling you how to check for Reptoids.
Everybody is selling something.

A lot of people don't seem to know it, or understand it, or, maybe they just don't want to look at it... But, the way things are now, are not how they should be. And, they are not working.

Again, if I would have thought that any group of people could recognize that certain details of life today, are actively HURTING us. HURTING our kids... it would have been this group, on ATS.

And, the way kids are growing up, is totally f***ed.

If there has ever been a serious conspiracy, for real, it would have to do with teaching kids, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".
It would have to do with giving in to it, and saying that "this is just the way it is", and every other phrase that ever meant to simply "swallow it, and move along".

Kids are more confused and hurting than EVER before.
They are growing up into confused and hurting adults.

Can anybody pinpoint, or give an estimation as to when this began?
When kids were literally unable to be kids anymore.

And, what happens if an entire generation of kids are broken before they even hit puberty?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by mamabeth
I have written a thread about age on ATS and so have others.I wanted to know
if it is possible for kids' to have their own forum on ATS,like ATS jr.? Like ages
8-12 and when they mature some,graduate to the regular ATS.

With topics that would be suitable for young,growing minds.Like,science,history,
space exploration,ecology,local and global news,poetry,story writing,reviewing
the latest movies and videos, boy and girl scout type survival...
I would like to hear from kids' their opinions of religion and not their parents.
I would rather have kids' here,than in front of the tv or video games.They could
learn debating skills,properly starting a thread and posting,reading and exploring
the world through their young eyes.

If it is possible for something like ATSjr., to be a reality I would volunteer to help.

Isn't censorship one of the things people are trying to fight? If the child's parents allow them here, so be it. Ats members aren't the parent.
Yeah. Censorship is bad. WHo is pushing Censorship, so we can go beat up on them?

Gawd.
Hey! Ya know what else people are trying to fight?
-Keeping Kooks away from kids.
-For kids learning FACTS and not opinions or fear-mongering, or madness.
-Against mental illness and emotional problems ruining the lives of kids.
-For the emotional security of children.
-Keeping Adults with Agendas away from kids.

Let me ask you... how many 8-12 year olds do you know on ats? I've seen some adults handle things worse than some kids.
In the thread that preceded this one, a member posted how his 7 year old had been banned from a site for 24 hours, for "Language".
He then went on to tell how ALL INFORMATION is accessible to his kids, and nothing is hidden.
That was in-between posts insinuating that I was some kind of "Internet Nazi".

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s

Can anybody pinpoint, or give an estimation as to when this began?
When kids were literally unable to be kids anymore.

In my opinion, it all started with the advent of Chargex, now known as VISA. Once people didn't have to take responsibility for saving for the things they wanted, it all went to hell.

Things just got too easy and it became a snowball effect until people just used credit willy-nilly.

When it got to the younger generation, they were not taught to be responsible to save for anything and everything became now. I want it now.

That's when I think it all started to go wrong anyway's.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

the 18 year or older thing won't work because if they know how to read then they probably also know how to lie. but is the kid really learning anything if they're banned from learning?
they'll still get the info they want by searching on bing or google.

and they'll still be victim. but here, they can get both sides of the arguement. and honestly, if the parent doesn't want their child on this site then one BE A GOOD EXAMPLE and leave the site. and two, put this site on the parent control banned column.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

[edit on 1/7/10 by ohsnaptruth]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
No, you haven't.

In the real world, outside of this website, there are dangers as well. Immediate dangers that every parent tries to teach their children to recognize as soon as they're ready to go play outside.
I went through this in my thread, which was closed by a moderator for no reason.
I will do it again for you. Before I do, please understand that I will not answer your reply to this posts if you start to attack me, or try to make an argument that has nothing to to with the topic, or wording or semantics.
Also, let's not waste time with you trying to find the one incredible situation that goes against the following scenarios:
In the real world, THOUSANDS of adults do not have the ability to directly communicate with a child anonymously at once.
In the real world, people have faces, and identities, and can potentially be held responsible for their actions.
In the real world, a disturbed child is not going to stand up in the middle of a crowd of conspiracy theorists, and announce how disturbed they are, or a problem they need help with.
In the real world, a child is not constantly viewing billboards advertising the end of the world, imminent alien invasion, clouds that are sprayed by the government to kill them, creatures that slip into their bedrooms at night to abduct them, reptillian monsters coming out of the depths of the earth, emotional problems being a symptom of being a super indigo child...
...if you need me to go on, I will type you up a nice big word doc, and email it to you. I have a hunch, no matter what I say, you will argue.

Kids have to be given the tools to keep themselves safe, whether it's at school, a friends house, the local Golden Arches and all the other situations you can mention, simply because parents cannot tie a leash on a child to keep them within arms length at all times.

To insulate them entirely during their pre-teens ill-equips them for the freedoms which await them later when they are FORCED to go out on their own. I suppose there are some who, in their late 20's, are still living with mom and dad, but guaranteed, they're in the minority.
Again, somebody proving my point.
You are ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.
It's wrong to insulate a "Pre-Teen"? Are you being serious?
I am not trying to be rude, but this is what I am talking about.
You are making a statement that is totally wrong, and very important.
A pre-teen's brain is not even fully developed physically, let alone emotionally. That is WHY they are supposed to be insulated, protected and carefully educated.
Look, I don't want to argue. Just look some stuff up. You might find out that I know what I am talking about.

[quote]You say there are 'a lot of people' on this website 'vomiting' questionable ideas. I'm wondering just how true that is.You are a SuperMod here. Are you kidding me? As a matter of fact, that was pretty much the ONLY thing that nobody argued with me about!
Are you really doubting whether or not people are "vomiting questionable ideas" in here?

I also believe the younger crowd here also wonders about what is truth and what is insane.
And, an adult member that has been doing THIS for years and years will be very convincing. Especially the members that have actually convinced themselves.

That's the whole point of this social experiment called ATS. One reads and either believes or dismisses. The best part of all is that you can question, which IS the Socratic method of getting to the truth.

In fact, you yourself are engaged in a debate right now and it is the same one which Plato described Socrates as having. Should the young be able to listen to the ideas Socrates has on the world or should they be cushioned from those thoughts?
This forum was not created for, or with children in mind. That is a FACT. Ask the owners.
I am guessing that you mods are used to throwing "Socrates" around a lot for some reason.
You and I are not those men. And, even if those men are speaking, it does not mean that all topics are ok for children's ears.
OK. I'll go easy on you.
Here you go:
Socrates just got done getting drunk, and then visits a bath house because they just got a brand new midget! After, Socrates meets up with Plato to tell him all about it, because while he was putting on his swiss maiden outfit, he was struck by the beauty of the moment!
Is that ok for kids to hear, because it is Socrates and Plato.

I say if they're old enough to read and write, they're old enough to be able to differentiate the nuts from the bolts.
And, almost every discipline known to man, whether legal, or psychiatric, or medical, or spiritual, has known, and acted on the fact that a child, no matter how savvy, smart, whatever, is developmentally incomplete, and not capable of thinking on an adult level.

No matter what you watch on Nickelodeon.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
I also have a question -- people keep talking about how under-18's shouldn't be on here anyway. Is that true? I don't remember anything about that in the T&C's, but maybe it's there?

What an odd thing to ask, after arguing and insulting and seeming so convinced that you were in the right.

I would never have expected somebody from THIS site to actually argue a point without being informed of the details.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
Some of the posts I have read makes me think that the kids' are
already here(8-12 year olds).
I'm pretty sure you are right.
A lot of kids.
And I am obviously right about the "disturbed" part.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
reply to post by mamabeth

the 18 year or older thing won't work because if they know how to read then they probably also know how to lie. but is the kid really learning anything if they're banned from learning?
they'll still get the info they want by searching on bing or google.

and they'll still be victim. but here, they can get both sides of the arguement. and honestly, if the parent doesn't want their child on this site then one BE A GOOD EXAMPLE and leave the site. and two, put this site on the parent control banned column.

PROBLEM SOLVED.[edit on 1/7/10 by ohsnaptruth]
When raising a child, it takes a lot of control, study and structure.

With my generation, the parents used the TV as the babysitter. Years later, this was recognized, and understood that it had a negative effect on us. Among other details of the time.

Now, the computer is the babysitter. It still isn't healthy.

A parent can hand-pick books for a kid to read. They can sit WITH the child on the internet. Swamp the child with hand-picked information, books, movies, documentaries, etc.

Yeah, a lot of parents don't know how to parent, and that's sad. But, it doesn't mean that people who are trying to do the best for the kids, should just give up, and go with the way things are.

To just let a child have access to ANY information and ANY adult is insane.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I've had more intelligent conversations with children than some I've had here with adults.
even with a credit card verification system,kids could get by it if they wanted.
my nephews and little cousins are much better at this computer stuff than i am.
I'm an old surfer i still have trouble with email!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If someone says that they are a reptillian alien messiah come to smote the world with his mighty army of fish sticks, i'm sure it wouldn't take someone over 21 to spot something....possibly... wrong... there.

Kids can discern, if only just the larger things.

the whole idea of ATS is to look at the facts, look at the ideas pertaining to them, and decide/discern on the truth that you believe in.

note that you have to both 1. beleive it is a fact and 2. discern what you beleive to be the most likely truth.

The kids will be able to spot things like the above example from miles away.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The OP has not even said anything about Age Registration.

Yet, most of the negative posters have done nothing but complain and insult and fight tooth and nail against one.

This idea is terrifying some people.

This is really bizarre.

And, what is really creeping me out, are the adults that are upset by the thought of an Age Restriction.

Yup. That's creepy.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
there could be an age restriction, i don't mind, but the kids know how to lie and via internet its a very simple thing to do. besides, kids that want to join ATS instead of Myspace probably have something to say. and as i recall, age restrictions on Myspace never worked anyway. and about parental controls... did you read my previous post?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

Okay.

Don't get me wrong, here, I can see where you are coming from, and I do understand/ agree with some of your points.

But please...

chill.

No one is here to attack you.

Think about this. Someone is trying to make a point, and someone else disagrees, but politely and calmly. The first person is becoming more and more exasperated, but the second is still calmly and peacefully making his point. Eventually, it gets to the point where the first person is screaming, red in the face, and then storms off. The second is still calm and peaceful, and goes about his regular activity.

Who won the debate?

A point would come across clearer and people could sympathize more if someone seemed calm, collected, and peaceful, because that's how they feel if they're watching a debate of this kind(not like a politicians debate, like an ATS debate, but it applies either way).

Against love there is no defense. I don't care what your view is on religion(and please don't bring it up- it would derail the discussion) but there is a lot of wisdom in those words, you have to admit.

I did not intend any of the above message to be offensive or angry in any way, and i'm sorry if it came off that way.

We are all here to find the Truth and Deny Ignorance.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I wish I had access to something like ATS when I was a kid. That way, I would've been more aware of the dangers of fizzy drinks and aspartame and not had all the skin problems as a teenager. I would've had tons more confidence had I read a thread about taking control of one's responsibility and creating your own destiny. and my suspicions of the world 'not being right' would be completely vindicated. My parents were too ignorant to be aware of these things and to teach me such ways of the world.

Regarding the person who compared exposure of this material to pornography and snuff movies, I think you are being ridiculous. The content discussed on ATS we *ALL* need to know as early as possible as human beings - before we are conditioned to think and act like enslaved doped-up robots.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
ATS Jr.? Sounds like it'd be a propaganda tool to me.

Kids shouldn't have to worry about this sort of stuff. At a certain age, kids end up progessing when it comes to questioning things. It starts out at "what's for dinner?" and "Can I stay at Jared's?" and then it turns into "What is the truth?"

It's a natural progression. Therefore we let time take its course. If someone's curious, we'll be here waiting. No doubt with strong opinions under our belt. We're so death metal.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This thread was NOT meant to be an age issue! There are already threads
on the subject of age requirements or restrictions.I had a thought about
a forum for young children.A forum where they could learn to debate on
topics and world events as seen through their eyes.
I want the bickering about age issues DROPPED NOW! My purpose for
this thread was to ask if it were possible for something like I suggested.
I see anymore posts about age issues...I will ask the mods to close this
thread!
I am not trying to post anything in order to get stars and flags.I have
grandchildren that something like ATSjr.could help.Maybe others children
and grandchildren might like it too.I am sick of seeing my grandsons'
sitting for hours in front of computer games!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join