It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Forum for Kids'?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Socrates was forced to drink the hemlock because he was accused of 'poisoning the minds of youth'.

A preposterous injustice.

Sugar coating truth is no education.
What is really preposterous, is you comparing the members of this site with Socrates!
That is awesome!

You pointed out a problem though. And you did it very well.

A lot of people on this site, actually think of themselves as some sort of "Socrates". And, they go about vomiting their incorrect, insane or self-centered opinions as "Truth".

Then, they turn the computers off, and go back to the cardboard flying saucers they are building, and continue working on their Banana-Helmets.

Um... Have I made my point?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by mamabeth
...With topics that would be suitable for young,growing minds.Like,science,history,
space exploration,ecology,local and global news,poetry,story writing,reviewing
the latest movies and videos, boy and girl scout type survival...

All that stuff's here already, minus the Jonas Brothers, which is probably a good thing.

Peace
All that stuff is here alright.
It just happens to be filtered through, and delivered by unreliable and sometimes twisted minds.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Is there a reason this nonsense can't be addressed on the same thread as this nonsense?
Yes, there is a reason.
People complained, instead of discussing, or giving ideas.
People attacked, and decided to discredit.

Then, GAOTU789, the moderator caved, and closed the thread, siting that Springer had already decided the issue. Which was not the case.

So, the moderator closed the thread, and a bunch of goofs, believing that children should have NO restraints on what they are exposed to, were successful.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Impossible for it to work. As was said in the other similar thread, there is no way of knowing who is a kid and who is not a kid. Sadly, people lie and are not always as they claim or appear to be. Adults would still go to the "kids" board and kids would still come to the "adult" board.

Wont work. Period.

Kids are welcomed here, just as much as the adults. Let the parents of the kids be held responsible for what their kids are doing.

All the most uptight/censoring mods

All the MODS work TOGETHER. We work as a team and all actions taken, all complaints/alerts made by members - are discussed amongst staff.

Back to the topic.....

[edit on January 7th 2010 by greeneyedleo]
Hey! Take a look in these threads!
These ARE the "Parents". The crazy stories... they are ABOUT the "Parents".

I have to tell you people. Between my thread and this thread, I have never seen a more telling symbol of why everything is going down the toilet.
Here are some of the posts that people have given:

-I don't care.
-it's not our responsibility.
-I just ignore it.
-it's up the the parents, and nobody else.
-this is a GREAT place to LEARN about the world.
-the people in here are GREAT, and have so much to offer a troubled kid.
...and the list of things that have been said, goes on and on.

And then, you same people, create threads and write posts about how horrible everything is, and why won't anybody do something about this or that, and the kids in here are so messed up, and there is nothing left to believe in, etc, etc.

Maybe nobody has noticed, but as this mindset has grown and grown in society, things have gotten worse and worse.

Disgusting.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

Dear lord ... won't you give it a rest already!

Isn't Thursday your book burning night anyway ... you know to protect the children.

Here's a list of forum software, use it and moderate at will.

As far as this issue is concerned, you have repeated yourself enough don't you think?
Or are you one of those people who think if you yell louder others will agree with you?
Have you tried holding your breath ... I hear that's equally effective.

[edit on 7 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I have written a thread about age on ATS and so have others.I wanted to know
if it is possible for kids' to have their own forum on ATS,like ATS jr.? Like ages
8-12 and when they mature some,graduate to the regular ATS.

With topics that would be suitable for young,growing minds.Like,science,history,
I would like to hear from kids' their opinions of religion and not their parents.
I would rather have kids' here,than in front of the tv or video games.They could
learn debating skills,properly starting a thread and posting,reading and exploring
the world through their young eyes.

If it is possible for something like ATSjr., to be a reality I would volunteer to help.

Isn't censorship one of the things people are trying to fight? If the child's parents allow them here, so be it. Ats members aren't the parent.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
If kids are smart enough to find this forum and can participate and contribute in a respectful and intelligent manner, then they have all the right in the world to be here. They should be here, you should hear their voices, and they should hear yours. That's how people learn and develop.

I see no reason why a kid should be prohibited or discouraged from this forum unless they are not abiding by the rules that every other member is required and expected to adhere to. I don't think they should have any other rules or restrictions that are not already placed on all members.
Really? In all your wisdom and brilliance, laced with experience, you think they should be able to jump right into this HEALTHY environment?

Great! So, next time some kid is posting, and describing symptoms of severe depression, paranoia, even dementia, and a bunch of the adults in the forum start advising the kid to open their mind to Alien Gods, or that they just need to hone their super powers, or that it sounds like abduction experience trauma, I will just say, Hey! Awesome. The geniuses of the ATS forums have deemed that this is just FINE!

Hell! They say it's HEALTHY! The kid will learn so much! Communication of ANY type is just peachy!

It's awesome for a child to learn that this isn't "reality", and instead, it is a fact, according to member-screen-name "CabbageHeadJoe", that we are living in a gigantic, computer generated "Matrix". And, if no parent is present, it is the child's responsibility to know better.

I agree! I think it is great for a kid to be told that the reason they always think about dying, have no friends and are depressed all the time, is because they are an "Indigo Child", as explained by the very wise, member-screen-name "GrabDaJunk22". A kid doesn't need any kind of professional help when he has "DaJunk" around!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s
Everything that goes into the mind of a developing child needs to be carefully chosen, and delivered correctly.

Who would choose this strategy of "Directed Learning"?

And I am of the opinion that a Socrates analogy isn't bad at all...a philosopher is one who pondered the state of existence...which is what we do here. Socrates wishes he had the internet...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Isn't an ATS for kids BTS? If you want an ATS for babies, go to BTS. Hell, that should be the new name for BTS (Baby Top Secret).

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

Dear lord ... won't you give it a rest already!

Isn't Thursday your book burning night anyway ... you know to protect the children.

Here's a list of forum software, use it and moderate at will.

As far as this issue is concerned, you have repeated yourself enough don't you?
Or are you one of those people who think if you yell louder others will agree with you?
Have you tried holding your breath ... I hear that's equally effective.

[edit on 7 Jan 2010 by schrodingers dog]
I'm wondering how many people you have done this with, here in the forums.
"book burning"? "yelling loudly"?
Hey! Genius. I noticed you were one of the first members to jump into this thread. I was the last.
Somebody was LURKING, and it wasn't me.
How often do moderators allow you to shame members into disappearing?
I bet it's pretty often. Because you play yerself off as, what?, a "Liberal Thinker"? A hero of the kids? A "Non-Conformist", or some such garbage.

I will continue to chime in, and attack an "issue".
And, you can continue to attack a person.

I don't know if you even realize it, but your posts have no argument, concerning the issue. You insult, and shame, and try to paint me as something I'm not.

But, you really don't have anything to say about the issue. Except your vanilla, nothing-to-back-it-up blather about how kids should be free to do what they want, and age restriction-BAD, watch out for the "Book Burner", blah, blah, blah.

You really have nothing to say.

And, I think that is Fricken' Hilarious!

Don't worry. I'm sure a mod will come save you soon enough.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by LASTofTheV8s]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
Isn't an ATS for kids BTS? If you want an ATS for babies, go to BTS. Hell, that should be the new name for BTS (Baby Top Secret).

Only for those who feel they need vent their emotional and anger issues on ATS as therapy....

Edit to add, I will accept it as BABES at Top secret

[edit on 7-1-2010 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

Is someone feeling like they need a hug?

Believe me there is more maturity in BTS, than drivel like this...

huggz???

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

if it is possible for kids' to have their own forum on ATS,like ATS jr.? Like ages

With topics that would be suitable for young,growing minds.Like,science,history,
I would like to hear from kids' their opinions of religion and not their parents.
I would rather have kids' here,than in front of the tv or video games.They could
learn debating skills,properly starting a thread and posting,reading and exploring

If it is possible for something like ATSjr., to be a reality I would volunteer to help.

Isn't censorship one of the things people are trying to fight? If the child's parents allow them here, so be it. Ats members aren't the parent.
Yeah. Censorship is bad. WHo is pushing Censorship, so we can go beat up on them?

Gawd.
Hey! Ya know what else people are trying to fight?
-Keeping Kooks away from kids.
-For kids learning FACTS and not opinions or fear-mongering, or madness.
-Against mental illness and emotional problems ruining the lives of kids.
-For the emotional security of children.
-Keeping Adults with Agendas away from kids.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Everything that goes into the mind of a developing child needs to be carefully chosen, and delivered correctly.

And I am of the opinion that a Socrates analogy isn't bad at all...a philosopher is one who pondered the state of existence...which is what we do here. Socrates wishes he had the internet...

ANYBODY BUT THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM for one.
Anonymous people have no need to take responsibility for their words in the first place. That is one of the reasons for "Anonymity". You write what you want. You take no responsibility for it being correct, sane, decent...

OK. The members of this site are all like "Socrates".
For some reason, you don't know how ridiculous that statement is.
There was much, much more to Socrates than "pondering the state of existence". Lot's of people do that. That doesn't mean they should all be advising, educating or even communicating with kids.

I'm not sure why you don't know that.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I quite agree with everything that you are saying here. Children should just be outside playing, using their imaginations though and that is a job left to the parents to provide that environment.

To take it out on a pinprick of the internet that is ATS, is very unfair The internet is a large and dangerous place for children and the parents nowadays have another job to do to protect them It's not up to the internet to police what they have access too, it's up to the parents to police what their children can access.

In my opinion of course.....

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Yeah. Censorship is bad. WHo is pushing Censorship, so we can go beat up on them?

Gawd.

Let me ask you... how many 8-12 year olds do you know on ats? I've seen some adults handle things worse than some kids.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There are plenty of websites devoted to kids already. Why should they have their own section here?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

A lot of people on this site, actually think of themselves as some sort of "Socrates". And, they go about vomiting their incorrect, insane or self-centered opinions as "Truth".

Then, they turn the computers off, and go back to the cardboard flying saucers they are building, and continue working on their Banana-Helmets.

Um... Have I made my point?

No, you haven't.

In the real world, outside of this website, there are dangers as well. Immediate dangers that every parent tries to teach their children to recognize as soon as they're ready to go play outside.

Kids have to be given the tools to keep themselves safe, whether it's at school, a friends house, the local Golden Arches and all the other situations you can mention, simply because parents cannot tie a leash on a child to keep them within arms length at all times.

To insulate them entirely during their pre-teens ill-equips them for the freedoms which await them later when they are FORCED to go out on their own. I suppose there are some who, in their late 20's, are still living with mom and dad, but guaranteed, they're in the minority.

You say there are 'a lot of people' on this website 'vomiting' questionable ideas. I'm wondering just how true that is.

I also believe the younger crowd here also wonders about what is truth and what is insane.

That's the whole point of this social experiment called ATS. One reads and either believes or dismisses. The best part of all is that you can question, which IS the Socratic method of getting to the truth.

In fact, you yourself are engaged in a debate right now and it is the same one which Plato described Socrates as having. Should the young be able to listen to the ideas Socrates has on the world or should they be cushioned from those thoughts?

Socrates lost and was forced to drink the poison to shut him up and 'save the children'.

Pity.

I say if they're old enough to read and write, they're old enough to be able to differentiate the nuts from the bolts.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

ANYBODY BUT THE MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM for one.
Anonymous people have no need to take responsibility for their words in the first place. That is one of the reasons for "Anonymity". You write what you want. You take no responsibility for it being correct, sane, decent...

For one, I do take responsibility for my expression. For two, I wonder why you think someone in the popular media isn't considered just as Anonymous as we are, for all intents and purposes. Popular Media these days is such that you cannot actively predict whom will view and identify with any given celebrity, politician, etc...

As well, they either have very different opinions on morality and social structure.

Further, most celebrities that are considered more than acceptable media for the next generation are moronic idiots who spout the status quo and implicitly encourage the degradation of critical thought in conjunction with a kind of social worshipping (celebrity = celebrate) that actually encourages reactive behaviour...which is probably where you get alot of deviant social behaviours and crime.

It all boils down to lack of education - and we here have a forum for constructive presentation of information for one to arrive at one's own conclusion (despite some of the inanity to be found). I fail to see how such constructive interaction need to be kept from someone especially when accepted medias are just repititious, trendy crap.

As for Socrates...he pontificated on math, on social mores, on government, on the heavens, on his surroundings...while he is cited as being the identity for his time, there is nothing to say that there were people elsewhere in his world who were capable of the same thing. And we here on ATS pontificate and discuss about all of those topics.

Seriously, where is all of this angst coming from?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

I quite agree with everything that you are saying here. Children should just be outside playing, using their imaginations though and that is a job left to the parents to provide that environment.

To take it out on a pinprick of the internet that is ATS, is very unfair The internet is a large and dangerous place for children and the parents nowadays have another job to do to protect them It's not up to the internet to police what they have access too, it's up to the parents to police what their children can access.

In my opinion of course.....
I am not taking it out on ATS.
Hey. I am an ATS member. I have been one for a LOOONG time. My posts are all over this forum in one form or another.
The sad truth, is that I love this site. And, I have a lot of compassion for our members, whether I agree with them or not.

We have all found individual, but similar reasons for planting our flags here.
And, like a dysfunctional family, whether the members are absolutely nuts, or stone-cold scholars, or just phantoms zipping in and out, without ever touching the ground, I feel a kinship with you all.

I have just seen some things in here that have left me a little sad and sometimes concerned for certain members. And, I am not the kind of person to just turn my back on somebody. Or get chased away.

I'm nuts. Like the rest of you!

But, I thought there might be some way for us to do what most of the world has forgotten to do.
Take responsibility. I'm not sure how.

But, I honestly thought that our forum, if any, would have understood all of this, and there might have been some constructive posts, and actual, creative workable ideas.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join