It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aid convoy breaks Gaza siege

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Aid convoy breaks Gaza siege

english.aljazeera.net

A humanitarian aid convoy carrying food and medical supplies has arrived in the Gaza Strip nearly a month after it embarked from the UK.

Members of the much-delayed Viva Palestina convoy began passing through Egypt's Rafah border crossing into Gaza on Wednesday, waving Palestinian flags and raising their hands in peace signs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.vivapalestina.org
video.ntvmsnbc.com

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
George Galloway led the convoy. I know a lot of people view George as a publicity seeking enigma, but IMO who cares as he has managed to gets food and supplies through.

The reports goes on to say that on Tuesday more than 50 people were wounded during a clash between Egyptian authorities and international members of the convoy. This shows the Egyptian stance on supporting the Palestinians with needed supplies.

George Galloway walks the walk....applause for him I say.

There is a link to the viva palestina web site.

For a video of the attack on the convoy by Egyptian police see
video.ntvmsnbc.com...

Respects

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-1-2010 by captiva]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Good on em. I went to one of their presentations in Bristol and they were a group of very commited, resourceful and passionate people. Hardly any media coverage of it though, even from Channel 4 news, which is dissapointing.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Great news...I am pretty sure if there was no media coverage on this from start Egypt wouldn't had allowed the convoy to pass through under pressure from Israel/ US like many previous convoys.

Though there is a lingering feelings, Israel may attack these people in convoy and blame on Palestinians as to discourage people in the effort to bring aid to Gaza. I hope no such thing happens.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

You can't blame Egypt for that. They receive billions of economic and military aid from the US with the mere purpose to protect Israel. Egypt is primarily dependent on agricultural and tourist income, making the decision to choose the American/Israeli side very much understandable.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Yes I agree and understand. Knowing George he will find some way of increasing the media coverage while he is there.

I wouldnt be surprised to see his popularity/place on the Israeli most hated list rising.

Respects

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
You can't blame Egypt for that. They receive billions of economic and military aid from the US with the mere purpose to protect Israel. Egypt is primarily dependent on agricultural and tourist income, making the decision to choose the American/Israeli side very much understandable.

Between FY 1979 and FY 2008, the United States provided a total of $89.73 billion to Israel, and $62.36 billion to Egypt.

www.policytransparency.org...

Read the entire article at that link
It's pretty interesting!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I cant belive this is all the response this is getting....

If it wasnt for ATS we wouldnt know about it because the response in the MSM is about nill !

Respects

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
george galloway has been a hero of mine for the past 10 years, like you say many dont like him, but he's a rare breed and a fine MP. Congratulations George.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yea I agree. george has a bigger legal team than obama
I
met him once, he was at the scottish open at Turnberry. He had no qualms about getting into discussion with me on some savoury topics.
Cost me a large whiskey though....he aint stupid.

Off topic...avatar...dead mans shoes?

respects

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
I cant belive this is all the response this is getting....

If it wasnt for ATS we wouldnt know about it because the response in the MSM is about nill !

because it is really a non event - aid trucks are going through all the time. Of course if the palestinians started growing food etc. instead of making rockets to attack Israeli civilians with they would not need so much aid!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is excellent news and about time that someone managed to make it through the gauntlet laid down by the Egyptians.

Keep in mind that Egypt is paid 2 billion dollars a year, year in and year out as part of the Camp David Peace Accords from 1978.

There are some strings attached to that money.

Hopefully this will be the first of a series of continued efforts to help the starving and oppressed people of Gaza and hopefully Israel won't just come smashing through the door to blow it all up and the people along side of it.

Regardless of Galloways political motivations this was the right thing to do.

I have a lot more respect for such people than I do the merchants of death.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I still don't understand why humanitarian aid can be delayed when the people are on the brink of dying from not having the necessities of life.

My biggest problem with this entire situation is simple... When will the world rise up and demand explanations on why the FACT that Israel is committing extreme and cruel crimes against humanity that have been going on for so long and still, nothing is being done to stop them.

Why are people so afraid of Israel? Why are people afraid to confront them?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Im quite sure if it was your family getting the food your attitude would be diffirent. With people like George Galloway on side there surely is a future for the Palestinian children.

Respects

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

Israel and its tendrils snake out over many political obscenities. The problems faced by the convoy have been many, culminating in having a stand off with the Egyptian authorities before getting through.

Why they couldnt just land and drive through the Israeli checkpoints only adds to the dogma the Israelis bring on themselves.

respects

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
I still don't understand why humanitarian aid can be delayed when the people are on the brink of dying from not having the necessities of life.

My biggest problem with this entire situation is simple... When will the world rise up and demand explanations on why the FACT that Israel is committing extreme and cruel crimes against humanity that have been going on for so long and still, nothing is being done to stop them.

Why are people so afraid of Israel? Why are people afraid to confront them?

lawhawk.blogspot.com...

that a good enough reason for you on why it gets delayed? Hamas shoots and kills people on the border. If your people were being shot and killed by somebody, would you want food to get to them?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

To quote your source :

"Hamas had called for a protest earlier over the delay of an international aid convoy at the nearby Egyptian port city of El-Arish"

and

"The incident follows a late night clash between international pro-Gaza activists and Egyptian security clashed at the nearby Mediterranean port of El-Arish when Egypt refused to allow part of the convoy to enter its territory and move on to Gaza."

The shooting was a result of the delay, not the other way around... Unless I misread your source...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
George galloway has been arrested in Egypt this morning, bundled into a van by undercover police. news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
George galloway has been arrested in Egypt this morning, bundled into a van by undercover police. news.bbc.co.uk...

"bundled into a van"

where does it say this

I have a gentle "respect" for Mr Galloway and his persistence, but Egypt should be allowed to police their borders in a way they see fit. I sometimes wish we were so determined with our borders.

Is the purpose of the Border incursion for effect? as it seems to be well publicised in advance. Less confrontation regarding this may have been more prudent

by the way, I do applaud Mr Galloway for the aid convoy, buas usual I can't help thinking that there other motives other than just the end result of the aid

top topics

join