It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemical spill forces evacuation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Chemical spill forces evacuation

www.abc.net.au

Posted 2 hours 2 minutes ago

Map: Lithgow 2790
More than 200 people have been evacuated after an unknown substance was found leaking from a military ordinance west of Sydney.

One man has been taken to Lithgow Hospital after coming within a metre of the substance.

A 500-metre exclusion zone has been set up around the recycling plant and the fire service has secured the scene.

Hazmat crews are working to identify what is believed to be mustard gas.

Fifty homes and shops have
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Explanation: I'm wondering if this disaster was the result of a left over WW1 military ordinance that been waiting to long to be recycled and its subsequently detonated on them!

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Personal Disclosure: If it turns out to be an old WW1 mustard gas munition that has caused all this, then that is a conspiracy in and of itself!

en.wikipedia.org...

www.faqs.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Way to EPICALLY FAIL Australia.... especially when Australia is the freaking CHAIR of the Australia Group!
:shk:

P.S. Disclaimer: OL is an Australian Citizen!
I also couldn't find any other MSM websites carrying this story so I recommend consuming the story with a pinch of salt until further information comes to light.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

la2

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Good find, will be interesting to see it develope

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Was the injured man a Muslim? Maybe he didn't get it down town fast enough .. or they didn't get him and it downtown fast enough,... ok just kidding. That is a very unusual spill though i have never heard of one not that am a expert at that.. but very good find and post.. flag for you they say here?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2
Good find, will be interesting to see it develope

Explanation: St*r for you!

I just found the 2nd MSM website to carry the story and it puts a totally different take on what happened....

www.smh.com.au...

From 2nd MSM websource...

"Removing reference to chemical being confirmed as mustard gas, on updated advice from the Ambulance Service of NSW

Two people are being decontaminated after being exposed to a chemical seeping from a military ordnance at a central western NSW recycling facility, authorities say.

About 50 houses and businesses surrounding the Inch Street facility at Lithgow were evacuated after a forklift punctured a cannister marked "military ordnance" about 3pm (AEDT) on Thursday, police and fire brigades said."

See the article linked above for the whole story [from their POV!]

Personal Disclosure:
OH&S EPIC FAIL at the minimum! :shk: I wonder how TPTB are going to spin this one?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeuseadam
Was the injured man a Muslim? Maybe he didn't get it down town fast enough .. or they didn't get him and it downtown fast enough,... ok just kidding. That is a very unusual spill though i have never heard of one not that am a expert at that.. but very good find and post.. flag for you they say here?

According to that 2nd linked article there were 2 people "decontaminated"
and one of those was taken to Lithgow hospital...

From 2nd linked MSM websource....

"An Ambulance Service of NSW spokeswoman said two people were being decontaminated, and one was expected to be taken to Lithgow Base Hospital."

Personal Disclosure: What kind of munition would give of a gaseous substance that causes a "burning sensation" when accidentally pierced?

la2

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I wasnt even aware Australia had a chemical weapons stock pile, so i imagine a few people will be asking some very difficult questions if it turns out to be chemical or biological amunitions, certainly Bejing and Tokyo would be angry.

la2

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
here is an artical i found, makes interesting reading

www.fas.org...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2
I wasnt even aware Australia had a chemical weapons stock pile, so i imagine a few people will be asking some very difficult questions if it turns out to be chemical or biological amunitions, certainly Bejing and Tokyo would be angry.

Explanation: Neither did I and I LIVE HERE! :shk:

Personal Disclosure: I will absolutely be one of those few people who will be asking some very difficult questions if it turns out to be chemical or biological amunitions! "NOT HAPPY JAN!" is an Australian coloquialism that would get much use as a catch cry by me and many other Aussies I KNOW who would be OUTRAGED if that was the actual case!

P.S. It just occured to me that it might have been tear gas! Hmmmm?

la2

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
well the figures in the link i posted were whats left after WW2, stuff provided by US and UK, but its a huge amount

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by la2
here is an artical i found, makes interesting reading

www.fas.org...

Originally posted by la2
well the figures in the link i posted were whats left after WW2, stuff provided by US and UK, but its a huge amount

Explanation: Awsesome Find! St*rs for you!

Personal Disclosure: I've never heard of the "New Weapons and Equipment Development Committee"!
Going to scrutinize them hard core now.
THANKS HEAPS!

P.S. My moneys still betting on tear gas and I've got a feeling the poor bloke who ruptured the munition/ordinance was the forklift driver and the other person exposed was probably a workmate rescuing the contaminated driver! But thats all just my sheer speculation at the moment!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
i would panic,,it could just be used motor oil,

lets not jump the gun here.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Explanation: The Original article has been updated....

www.abc.net.au... [Note: UPDATED!]

From Updated ORIGINAL MSM websource.....

"Posted 3 hours 26 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 47 minutes ago

More than 200 people have been evacuated after an unknown substance was found leaking from a military ordinance west of Sydney.

One man has been taken to Lithgow Hospital after coming within a metre of the substance.

A 500-metre exclusion zone has been set up around the recycling plant and the fire service has secured the scene.

Hazmat crews are working to identify what is believed to be mustard gas.

Fifty homes and shops have been evacuated.

Kristy Sky from the Ambulance Service says all residents living within the exclusion zone are being assessed by paramedics."

See above linked article for the whole Updated story.

Also I found this 3rd MSM websource that is a local [to me] version of ABC that is now parroting its parent orginizations spin/ covering the story....

www.abc.net.au...

Personal Disclosure:
at the original articles MSM trying to drum up more interest by spruking itself by using not so subtle stealth!

P.S. My faith in the ABC as "reputable" was just tested and they FAILED! :shk:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthenaCD
i would panic,,it could just be used motor oil,

lets not jump the gun here.

I agree on not jumping the gun, but why would a munition contain motor oil and why would the motor oil be gaseous and cause "burning sensations"?

Personal Disclosure: I still think it is tear gas, but until further info comes to light I'm just speculating wildly!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Explanation: I find it very strange that the local MSM rag has nothing about it on their website YET! WTH?

www.lithgowmercury.com.au...

Personal Disclosure: This following link might be useful to fellow researchers!

www.council.lithgow.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Explanation: The story continues to evolve!....

The story in the 2nd linked article has changed....

www.smh.com.au... [Updated!]

From 2nd updated MSM websource....

"Evacuated residents returned home after a chemical leaking from a central western NSW recycling facility was deemed to be harmless.

Two people were decontaminated and one of them, a 48-year-old man, was taken to Lithgow Hospital after being exposed to a gel-like chemical seeping from a military ordnance at the recycling facility.About 210 people and 50 houses and businesses surrounding the Inch Street facility at Lithgow were evacuated after a forklift punctured a cannister marked "military ordnance" about 3pm (AEDT) on Thursday, emergency services said."

Please see article linked above for full updated story.

Personal Disclosure: Oh dear! It sounds like napalm!
That would put my tear gas theory to bed!
:shk:

P.S.
I didn't know Australia possesed these either..."Hazmat crews, a scientific officer and a "mobile scientific laboratory" had been flown to the scene from Sydney to identify the chemical, Supt Krimmer said."
WOOT!

Note: Bold is my edit for emphasis OK!

Edited for spelling! Soz me a

[edit on 7-1-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Explanation: Well I have since been to sleep and I woke up and watched several of the Australian morning MSM TV news channels and there was JACK SQUAT about it! :shk:

The 2 main MSM web articles that I provided above have not changed since they were last updated and the Lithgow Mercury is still not running the story! WTH?

Personal Disclosure: Spoke to soon...I had a inkling and I was RIGHT!
at self for early morning brain haze! I need to drink COFFEE before I post! :shk:

Original article was updated as I was typing this....

www.abc.net.au... [2nd Update]

From linked 2nd Updated original websource article....

"Investigations after chemical spill scare
Posted 9 hours 28 minutes ago
Updated 10 minutes ago

More than 200 people were moved from their homes.

An investigation will take place into a chemical spill at Lithgow, west of Sydney, yesterday afternoon.

More than 200 people who were evacuated from their homes after employees at the town's recycling plant accidentally pierced a canister marked 'military ordinance' with a fork lift.

One man who came within a metre of the substance was taken to Lithgow hospital and another had to be decontaminated at the scene. Both in a satisfactory condition.

A fire science officer determined that the substance was not mustard gas and residents were allowed home in stages last night."

Please see linked updated original article for the whole updated story!

Personal Disclosure: OMG! They are saying it might be WWII ordinance! Its got me thinking very hard about la2 posted about the chemical munitions left over since WWII! STRUTH! WTH is going on???

Edited quoted article to remove non-required links etc. :shk: Soz me a clown...who is making hisself coffee right NOW!.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What is with every one of your posts having to include "personal disclosure" or "explanation"? I'm so lost reading some of your posts.

It makes it aggravating to read..just an observation. No hate.

Edit to add: I couldn't figure out why you have 16 of the authored threads in recent posts section of ATS. It's because you are replying to every one of your threads you've written over the past two years.

Still can't stand your writing style.....personal disclosure.
edit on 13-2-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join