It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Apocalypse Man' History Channel- Survival Techniques- Must Watch!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I watched Apocalypse Man on the history channel tonight and it is a must watch for anyone wanting some real world survival techniques during apocalyptic times. He had some really unique suggestions I had never considered before. I highly suggest watching this program for anyone interested in learning as much as they can about surviving a disaster.

Government authorities say it's "not if... but when"...a moment in the future when, just as it has in the past, some catastrophe sparks mass destruction, leaving humans challenged to find shelter, heat, food, water and defense. If that happens, would you know what to do? Survival expert Rudy Reyes journeys through abandoned buildings showing us some surprising survival techniques, including making fire from steel wool, finding safe houses and creating shortwave radio transmissions.

Here is a link from the history channel
www.history.com...

The show will be on again - Eastern Time
Friday, January 08 11 pm Apocalypse Man
Saturday, January 09 3 am Apocalypse Man
Saturday, January 09 12 pm Apocalypse Man

DVR It!!!

[edit on 7-1-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I'm loving the shows they are doing but I disagree with much of what this guy was stating. It's great info but he is kinda like Bear grylls to me. You should focus on staying alive and not on doing stupid things that could get you hurt.

Examples:

He takes big risks to scale an open bridge instead of finding a safer way to cross. He is constantly jumping and climbing things that he really doesnt need to.

For some reason he really likes bashing in windows with his flashlight, I would rather use a rock then to risk messing up my flashlight.

One thing I really liked was the example of finding the cab company or using a phone but to find things. I also liked how he walks you through making diesel from fat.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Thanks for the OP, I haven't heard of this show yet. Now I will be tuned in tomorrow night!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
OP, thank you so much for sharing word about this show. I had not heard it advertised and thought the time slot, 11pm EST, to be different from traditional scheduled programming.

Thank you again...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I thought it was a great show too. A much closer representation of the scenario most of us would actually be faced with than shows like Survivor Man and Man Vs Wild.

While no other episodes are currently scheduled to air, this one was indeed a pilot. An interesting piece of info for those who want more, is that last night (err, this morning) at 3AM Mountain time, "Apocalypse Man Rudy Reyes" was the 20th most popular search on Google. Looks like a significant number of people stayed up to watch the show, then went looking for more.

As far as showing us "stupid things that can get us hurt", I don't need him to show me how to cross a land bridge or float across a river in a dingy. The idea is "hey, if you are faced with having to scale something with a make-shift grappling hook, here's how..." He also explained why it's safer than trying to swim the river.

If you're worried about a window messing up your flashlight, use a rock, like was suggested. If you were smart enough to have, or acquire one like he was using (a 4-D Mag lite), you're not going to worry about a few panes of glass causing much damage.

I was also happy to see the segment on the rudimentary bio-diesel. He was also firm in his statements that it would "get you down the road", and emphasized that it may get you 50 miles before rendering the engine inoperable, maybe 100. The point is, he was realistic in the expectations that need to go along with the techniques.

The concept of using the bicycle pump as a "syringe" to extract fuel from the underground tank was one of those novel yet blatantly obvious ideas that would certainly make life easier.

Using wet cardboard over a fire to filter and absorb particulate matter from the smoke was so interesting my wife and I had to try it then and there. Our results were the same as his... a smokeless fire, even with damp wood. Keeping the cardboard wet makes it quite a chore to maintain however, possible to the point of rendering the technique unfeasible.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I hope you are right about it being a pilot episode. I thought they said it had another show tonight at 8pm also? Maybe its just a replay though.

The other idea that he did that I didn't like was using the sewers. I would think it would be a last resort because of how easy it is to get hurt down there or even just get stuck with no way out. I think this is kind of like how some people are survivor man fans and others are man vs wild.

I still cant believe that I wouldn't have even thought about a phone book being so important when stuff goes to hell.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Im glad I could help inform those on the show!

I had my husband watch it tonight and he loved it too! I made him watch it because of the electronic and car stuff I dont know much about but he does. It had some very useful ideas... I really hope they decide to make this into a show!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I saw everything except him using the bicycle pump. How did he do that? Was it just to primp the pump or did he pump the fuel into the bike pump itself?

Anyway it was a cool show to be sure despite it being a bit too set up. I mean where did they find all the abandoned buildings with conveniently stored canned goods, c.b. radios, grease bins, and various tools, etc. It was all set up ahead of time of course.

reply to post by Unit541

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Unit, could you please describe in detail about the wet cardboard technique to dampen smoke? That's always been a major concern of mine as staying hidden is probably the BEST survival strategy going in most situations. Thanks.

To hide a fire in the woods, etc. you can dig a pit and then a long trench uphill. Cover the trench with flat rocks then dirt to help disipate the smoke. Also, if you build a fire next to a tree the branches (if they have leaves on them) will do the same for you.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
I saw everything except him using the bicycle pump. How did he do that? Was it just to primp the pump or did he pump the fuel into the bike pump itself?

Anyway it was a cool show to be sure despite it being a bit too set up. I mean where did they find all the abandoned buildings with conveniently stored canned goods, c.b. radios, grease bins, and various tools, etc. It was all set up ahead of time of course.

As always results may vary. I am certain that Bear Gryll's show is the same way - carcasses and what not conveniently place ahead of time. he had several shows where he supposedly "randomly" comes across a dead deer or chamois.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I missed this one. I hope it comes on again, or I can find it online. There were some good shows about disaster on the History channel last week. Even my wife told me this morning, "It seems like they are trying to warn us or prepare us for something." I told her she wasn't the only one that is saying that lately.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I watched this show and sadly that is an hour of my life that I will never get back. It was like watching a polished collection of YouTube videos with commercials.

I don't question the capabilities of the host. I question the content and the way it was presented. The majority of what was shown would be extremely difficult for the average person to pull off.

I especially liked the Bike Pump fuel syringe trick. For the pump to work as it was shown it would have to be modified. I don't recall seeing the mod on the show. If a pump truly worked like that you not be able to inflate anything.

The random hospital generator and state of the art surveillance equipment. The abandoned truck that started right up by being hotwired. A random car battery that could be charged from the hospital generator. How many people will get juiced with a severe jolt trying to pull off that stunt. Batteries need a controlled/regulated current to effectively charge them without blowing them up in your face.

Not practical advice in this show. Just hype and staged action and adventure. They should have had people shooting at him with simunitions to make it more plausible.

If you want to survive, the best advice he gave was to keep a low profile. He probably should have been making most of his moves under the cover of NIGHT.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I concur.

I watched the entire episode and was seriously insulted by the way the show was put together.

When he got his "bio-diesel" oil out of the dumpster, there was a 5 gallon gasoline can and a pre-made funnel, convieniently placed on top.
I love how the producers make everything seem so easy.
You can all get lye and ethanol from any garage! [/sarcasm]
He is telling people to break-in to houses and rummage for food and supplies. Then "be safe", about it.
COME ON! People are ruthless!
When is comes to life or death, there is no sharing.

That show is garbage and is scaring people.
Exactly what TPTB want.
Promote fear.

I've been noticing that with every inch of snow here, people empty shelves at the grocery store.

Getting ridiculous, or getting set-up for something big. One or the other.

You want to learn how to survive an apocalyptic scenario?
What for? Its going to more that most can take!
Here's a hint!
Learn how to live in the woods and get out of the city.
The city will be the biggest trouble, believe me.
Because you got shows like this teaching sheep how to do stupid things inside city limits.
Where everyone is trying to survive.

Yeah.....good idea!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I'd give you two stars if I could. I forgot about his perfect bio diesel concoction. People will be packing raw lye in their BOBs now.

The only thing missing from this perfect presentation was an ice cold shaken martini served with his canned food dinner.
Even the dirt marks on his face were perfect.

Furthermore, I think all of those old viable trucks like the one he stole disappeared in the Cash for Clunkers program.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Two thumbs up on the learn to survive in the woods comment. You'll run out of ammo shooting at all of the criminals trying to rob you in the city. I'll take my chances with the black bears and mountain lions around here any day of the week!

Definitely egress from the city at night. One of the shows on the History Channel showed a family trying to leave a city after a flu pandemic had wiped everything out. That show should have been labeled what not to do when TSHTF.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Tivo'd the show because I was going to be away when it was on. Watched about 10 minutes of it, and decided it was BS. Deleted it, and decided to depend on what I know. If I am in an urban area, I will shoot first, obtain what I need and then I will ask questions, and/or run like hell. I live in a semi-rural area, with a lot of dependable neighbors, so I reckon we will bond, stick together and take care of one another.
I wouldn't bet my life on Bear Grylls advice, since there is too much set-up. Les Stroud, on the other hand, presents more realistic situations. I can at least learn options from him.
But I cannot emphasize too much that we must practice. If you can't start a fire in your back yard (withour matches) then how do you know you can do it an emergency?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I lost interest in the show after the host commented on the "tire iron" he would use as a weight to throw his rope on the bridge. It was a pry bar.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
On right now on the east coast of US. About 48 minutes left.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

take the advice in this thread.
Don't waste your time unless you are looking for a good laugh.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
[edit on 20-1-2010 by dodadoom]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join