It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Hemispheres and Handedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This appeared to be the closest forum for the question...

I understand that certain functions live in certain sections of the brain.
I understand that one hemisphere of the brain controls the other side of the body.

How does handedness figure into the mix? I'm a lefty, controlled by the right hemisphere of my brain. Does this have any effect on things that are normally in the right hemisphere? Are they in the left hemisphere instead?

And what's the proper term for handedness?

I've heard it said that lefties tend toward the arts and righties toward the sciences.
It's been my experience that there are a lot of lefties in MIS/IT departments. Lots of musicians too.

Just an item of curiosity on this frigid evening.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Great question though I have my own questions about this and no answers....

I write, shoot a rifle, and throw a Frisbee right handed but throw everything else (baseballs, basketballs, bowling balls, etc.) with my left hand.

So I am not ambidextrous because I can't do things with either hand but instead do different things with different hands.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I do the same thing. (I am the only female I know of out of my friends, family, and people I know that is left handed btw) I write left handed, eat left handed, throw left handed and dribble a basket ball with my left hand. Everything else i do with my right hand. Strange.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It's odd how I write with my right hand but communicate mostly in sign language with my left hand.

I usually have hard time spelling words (in sign language) with my right hand but it's easy with my left hand.

Weird.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

I usually have hard time spelling words (in sign language) with my right hand but it's easy with my left hand.

Weird.

My guess is that it's not weird. It's indicative of the interaction of the hemispheres. Unfortunately I don't understand, hence my OP

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm not sure that the hemispheres control handedness. I read once that most babies lay on their left side in the womb, so their left hand is kind of pinned down under them. So, their right hand/arm are free to move. Therefore, they learn to use their right hand. Sometimes, though, the babies are lying in a different position that allows their left, or both hands to be free. Those babies are left-handed or ambidextrous. They say that this is also why people say that lefties are smarter. It's not that they are necessarily smarter, but just that as fetuses they learned to process stimuli in a different way and can process more information coming from various sources at once.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

And what's the proper term for handedness?

Manudexterity, short for manual dexterity.

BTW, there is a rather good brain hemisphere test (Dutch, if I remember correctly) that I use offline, but I believe it has been posted on ATS a while ago. It has good explanations about the functions of each hemisphere.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Vanitas]

new topics

top topics

join