It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama finally forswears tough sanctions on Iran. Jerusalem says nothing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Obama finally forswears tough sanctions on Iran. Jerusalem says nothing

www.debka.com

Taking advantage of the ado surrounding the failed airliner bombing and the new prominence of the al Qaeda peril, the Obama administration has finally given up its sanctions strategy for averting the rise of a nuclear-armed Iran. US secretary of state Hillary Clinton was tasked with the public announcement: "The Obama administration wants to keep the door to dialogue open with Iran," she said Jan. 4, then added a remark which let Iran off completely of the American hook: "…although the United States has avoided using the term deadline, it cannot wait indefinitely to hear form Iran."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
So, it looks like Obama's talk about Dec. 31 deadline meant nothing. All the tough talk on Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech also meant nothing. Even the Israelis have made a fool of themselves after Israel's deputy defense minister had declared a few months back that Christmas will be the deadline for air strikes if sanctions are not in place.
Forget, air strikes, the much hyped Obama diplomacy machine has failed to impose sanctions on Tehran. Iran-China-Russia axis will be very impressed.

www.debka.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

la2

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Obama is weeker than Bush was, yeah Bush got it wrong, but atleast he did something.

All we can pray for now is a primary challenge.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Well goood for him. Is the American imperialistic attitude being tamed? The docs circulating weren't authentic, so, whatever. Let'em have nukes, or nuclear power or whatever.
I'm actually really surprised by Obama on this one he must've been under a lot of pressure to keept that avenue of the perpetual war open.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Perhaps they actually thought things through.

The sanctions were, are, and will be a bad idea that do next to nothing positive.

I do not support any punishment but bombs, and only responding to attacks to our nation and it's people. It's been a long standing belief in America that any interruption in the gas supply would constitute an act of war.

Who thinks anyone else would think differently than us? Why would we apply a different standard to ourselves?

I'm shocked I am glad Obama did (or didn't) do something. First time in a year.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I really dont see the fear about Iran getting nukes. Let them have a nuke in fact give them nukes if they try using them then you annihilate them its that simple.

The only purpose having nukes will serve for a country like Iran is to help prevent invasion.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2
Obama is weeker than Bush was, yeah Bush got it wrong, but atleast he did something.

All we can pray for now is a primary challenge.

Yeh.. Bush really did something alright.

What do you want OBama to do? Assist Israel is attacking Iran over false pretense????

maybe thats why u been here for 4 years and have zero flag contributions lol

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
maybe thats why u been here for 4 years and have zero flag contributions lol

That was a pointless comment. If you did the smallest amount of research, you'd see that la2 does have flags; they're just not showing up for some reason. Even if la2 did have zero flags, using that as a way of mocking a user's opinion is sad.

My opinion on this sanctions issue is similar to KrazyJethro's. I'm glad Obama didn't go through with it, but to say you're going to do something and then not do it doesn't do much for your credibility.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Actually, she has a lot of flags, listed on the side of her profile. Not sure why they do not show up. Perhaps she could look into that. Maybe she doesn't care.~

But, why are you attacking the poster for her opinion? Just wondering.

There is a real good reason that Iran should not have nukes. Start with, "We will wipe Israel off the map." first. That's a lovely, unprovoked statement to wake up to.

The man is a loony tune, and who better to have nukes in their hands, eh?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Libertygal]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I fear this backdown will only serve to embolden Iran's destabilizing policies in the region even further.Lets be real.Aside from from Israel,the Saudis,Egypt and Yemen would love to see Iran wiped out.And how many Anti-government protesters hate the present regime says alot to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
In my humble opinion I think that as much as certain elements within the military industrial complex, the oil companies, and Israel would love to go after and in to Iran that they just haven’t had much real luck inside Iran garnering and creating a 5th column to support that effort, and outside of Iran in really getting the masses in the West to fully support and endorse it.

While the Western Media has made desperate attempts to fund and manipulate events inside of Iran and to misconstrue and inflate the numbers of unhappy Iranians inside of Iran, there are just no where as near as many of them as mainstream media tries to purport and the Iranian government is firmly in charge and has them more or less under control.

Many Americans are suspicious of these reports, the sources for them, and how deeply the U.S., U.K. and British Intelligence agencies are involved in orchestrating them.

While they are emotionally appealing to many Americans those not as easily manipulated aren’t any where near convinced that Iranians are desperate to be saved from their very regime they fought a revolution to install in the first place.

Meanwhile many Americans and even some members of Congress are increasingly seeing the War on Terror as almost a joke, orchestrated by the government for control and profit. The drastic reactions to things like the Underwear Bomber and most recently TSA Agents in California who claimed to have fallen ill after discovering a liquid substance thought to be a bomb that just turned out to be Honey has many Americans literally starting to laugh at the government’s inane and inept efforts.

When you then consider that our all volunteer army has been strained to the breaking point with nearly a solid decade of nonstop war and troops having to endure long multiple deployments into warzone after warzone and the escalating suicide rates and post traumatic stress problems that is causing what you really end up is with a war machine whose eyes are bigger than it’s stomach.

Starting with Operation Cast Lead last January internet bloggers have really been taking it to the military industrial complex and the Zionists and Neoconservatives and wrecking havoc on their propaganda efforts.

While many of us complain and or worry that the governments are spying on our internet activity the fact that they are might end up being the one thing that starts backing them away from this culture of war and debt and rethinking through some of their grandiose plans that are so often realized with the blood and money of innocent and decent manipulated or victimized to that end.

We are sadly a long way away from peace breaking out everywhere but the plain reality is we simply can’t kill everyone and anybody opposed to our way of life and thinking and it’s foolish to try.

Diplomacy really is the key to solving the world’s problems and it is words and gestures that turn enemies into friends, not guns and bullets.

new topics

top topics

join