It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martin: Arizona taxpayers owed $1 billion from illegal immigration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well once this administration passse, excuse me pushes through Obamacare, amnest is surely next. No matter your side on this arguement, something must be done. Do you think this is a state or fedral problem, and should the federal government reemburse the state. I for one think so......the federal government has failed to secure the borders and fails to enforce the laws we have now, which places an undue burden on the state. Your thoughts?

www.kvoa.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Good idea, but the federal government would never pay a dime. Passing amnesty would be a nightmare. It would be a slap in the face to every legal citizen and to all the immigrants waiting in line and going through the proper channels. With millions of legal citizens without jobs, this would be an insult.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There is no doubt illegal aliens cost states money, but does this $1 billion figure include money illegal aliens contribute directly and indirectly to the tax base? Illegal aliens pay sales taxes. They also contribute indirectly to the tax base by providing cheap labor.

If it were not for illegal alien labor, thousands of women might stay home instead of work because they would have no child care. If it were not for illegal alien labor, hundreds of businesses may shut down due to labor costs. If it were not for cheap illegal alien labor, food would be much more expensive.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This makes a pretty convincing case for the removal of Federal Social programs and the income tax.

State (and state only) sales tax covers everyone, including tourists and folks from out of state. It is a completely evenhanded tax system that costs far less money.

The illegal immigration debate itself is framed incorrectly, causing a rift that need not exist.

I blame the system that allows such shortfalls, not the immigrants.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Awesome post star for you. Unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Awesome post star for you. Unfortunately I don't think that's gonna happen.

Thank you. No, I agree, it won't happen because somehow these debates are framed poorly (i.e. immigration, healthcare reform, war on terror, abortion, etc) and the folks just jump in one trench or the other without actually thinking about what the debate is really about.

We tend to debate the effect rather than the cause and it's a sad sad thing.

Real discussions rarely happen, sorry to say.

new topics

top topics

join