It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Sources: Obama OKs Taxing High-end Health Plans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

AP Sources: Obama OKs Taxing High-end Health Plans

(AP) WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama signaled to House Democratic leaders Wednesday that they'll have to drop their opposition to taxing high-end health insurance plans to pay for health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.

In a meeting at the White House, Obama expressed his preference for the insurance tax contained in the Senate's health overhaul bill, but largely opposed by House Democrats and organized labor, Democratic aides said. The aides spoke on condition of anonymity because the meeting was private.

House Democrats want to raise income taxes on high-income individuals instead and are reluctant to abandon that approach, while recognizing that they will have to bend on that and other issues so that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., can maintain his fragile 60-vote majority support for the bill.

Pelosi and four committee chairmen met with the president Wednesday as they scrambled to resolve differences between sweeping bills passed by the House and Senate. The aim is to finalize legislation revamping the nation's health care system in time for Obama's State of the Union address early last month.

Despite the dispute over the payment approach, Pelosi, D-Calif., emerged from the meeting expressing optimism.

"We've had a very intense couple of days," Pelosi said. "After our leadership meeting this morning, our staff engaged with the Senate and the administration staff to review the legislation, suggest legislative language. I think we're very close to reconciliation."

Congressional staff members stayed at the White House into the evening to continue work and a conference call of the full House Democratic caucus was scheduled for Thursday.

This means in plain English that President Obama has broken his promise NOT to raise taxes on the middle class. This tax will hit money middle class families, including an extremely high percentage of union workers who agreed to forgo wage hikes in exchange for a decent health care insurance plan.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thanks for posting Prof. it really does just keep getting worse.No matter what the American people want they just keep moving along.What was the quote from Mao that obama's press secretary was so fond of?I think it is very apropos.

edit;Sorry it was Anita Dunn white house communications director,here it is

In 1947, when Mao Tse-tung was being challenged within his own party, on his plan to basically take China over, Chiang Kai-shek and the nationalist Chinese held the cities, they had the army, they had the air force, they had everything on their side and people said how can you win, how can you do this, how can you do this against all odds against you, and Mao Tse-tung said “You fight your war and I’ll fight mine.” Think about that for a second, you don’t have to accept the definition of how to do things and you don’t have to follow other people’s choices in the past. Okay. It is about your choices in your path, you fight your own war. You lay out your own path. You figure out what is right for you. You don’t let external definition how good you are internally. You fight your own war. You let them fight their’s. Everybody has their own path.

link

Makes you think.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by genius/idoit]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Just to let you know, this is NOTHING like the Canadian Health Plan

You guys are Screwed

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Just to let you know, this is NOTHING like the Canadian Health Plan You guys are Screwed

That's what we have been saying all along. The REAL joke is that they start collecting the taxes as soon as the bill is signed, but they don't start providing HEALTH CARE until 2014. That is so the Congressional Budget Office can say that the bill will not increase the deficit. (They used the 10 years beginning in 2010 through 2019. Of course, if you collect taxes for almost 5 years before you start providing health care, it may be deficit neutral for the first 10 years, but then after that, watch out. This bill will COMPLETE the bankruptcy of the US.
Wait until you see how many of these plans are considered high end. My wife and I are paying $18,000 a year for health insurance, with my employer, who provides assistance to retirees, adding another $7,000. That makes our plan "high end", even though we have high deductibles, huge co-pays and many restrictions. Understand that we are near Medicare age, and as a result, our premiums are quite high. Most people between 55 and 64 will be hit by this, if they have health insurance. Many younger people will be hit also, because they just don't understand that what they are paying is a very small percentage of what their employer pays. Almost all union members will be hit with this, because in many cases, these plans do have better benefits.
What is happening, in effect, is the "LEVELING" of care. Take some care away from many, to provide that care for those without health insurance. It is more "Spread the wealth around" from Obama and his Congress.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Did anyone really think he wouldn't?

He's been a liar from the start.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

He's been a liar from the start.

Oh, I know and I've always known. Now, though, it will be hard for him to DENY it. This article is from the AP, not some blog, or dubious source.
The tide is starting to turn on him in a big way.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
every election, we have jesus and satan to choose from, and we always wind up getting satan! god damn it, when will we learn!!?!?!?!?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BiGGz

every election, we have jesus and satan to choose from, and we always wind up getting satan! god damn it, when will we learn!!?

The problem is that a lot of misguided people really BELIEVED that Obama was the second coming. Unfortunately, it was the second coming of Satan.

new topics

top topics

join