It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
still am having trouble understanding all the hype over this. So in the name of greater understanding I'll shift my eye over to the USA and try to see it from their point of view...dam can't see a thing, blinded by bigotry!
if that add is racist perhaps all KFC should now only sell to white people, and just for a start maybe you should change the name of the redskins since the racial overtones there are incrediable
seriously people some things are just what they are...a bloody joke!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't think this is meant to be racist. He's just "stuck in an awkward situation" because he's wearing an aussie shirt and he's surrounded by West Indies fans.

It would be more awkward if you were a Crows fan at the footy and surrounded by Port Power fans, even if all were white...

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The ad may not be meant as racist, but in North America it is incredibly racist.

It is just as racist as the following:

look up "fried chicken" on www.urbandictionary.com... ... See what comes up.

How about this t shirt that t shirt hell used to sell? It reads "I love watermelon and fried chicken too" [url=http://www.thisnext.com/item/D49238AD/FB92125A/I-Love-Watermelon-Fried]http://www.thisnext.com/item/D49238AD/FB92125A/I-Love-Watermelon-Fried[/ur l]

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Enrikez]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Almost forgot ...

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Enrikez]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

What does your post/those pics have to do with anything?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by Enrikez

What does your post/those pics have to do with anything?

They show why north americans think that giving the black natives fried chicken to get out of an awkward situation is racist.

The entire thread is complaining aout why americans think the commercial is racist, obviously people outside of north america are unfamiliar with the negative stereotypes that blacks face in the USA when it comes to things like fried chicken and watermelons.

The comercial is racist from a north american point of view. It is not racist from an australian point of view (according to the australians)

The thing is that the americans don't understand the cultural differences between Australia and the US, and the australians don't unerstand why it is offensive to an american.

My post shows why associating blacks with fried chicken is a racial stereotype in this hemisphere.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez

They show why north americans think that giving the black natives fried chicken to get out of an awkward situation is racist.

I think everybody is aware of that.
I don't think anybody (as far as I'm aware) is claiming that they don't know about the Fried chicken/black people thing.... i think people are saying that it's not really a massive thing outside of America

The entire thread is complaining aout why americans think the commercial is racist, obviously people outside of north america are unfamiliar with the negative stereotypes that blacks face in the USA when it comes to things like fried chicken and watermelons.

As i said, everyone is aware of that... but not every country has that stereotype.... not every country went lynching black people or used black children as "'Gator bait"
LINK

Just because people are aware of these things... does not mean the world all thinks this way or that everyone else did the same.

The comercial is racist from a north american point of view. It is not racist from an australian point of view (according to the australians)
The thing is that the americans don't understand the cultural differences between Australia and the US, and the australians don't unerstand why it is offensive to an american.

Well that's fair enough, but It's not an American commercial.
Of course they understand why Americans find it offensive, i don't think anybody is saying they don't, they just don't have the same view or same history/stereotypes...or whatever.

My post shows why associating blacks with fried chicken is a racial stereotype in this hemisphere.

That's all well and good... but what are you adding to the conversation?
We all know that Americans (not all obviously)have the stereotype that black people like fried chicken.

It's not even that Hemisphere... it's that COUNTRY.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

The reason this thread has the feeling of one side of the argument banging teir head against a wall while the other side does the same thing is because it's racist in america to make a commercial like that. It sounds like racial relations in Australia are far less stressed, which is a good thing, but doesn't change the fact that to an american watching, that is a very racist commercial.

There are many things that an american would not bat an eyelash at that offends plenty of other cultures, and when that happens americans are called names, insensitive, conceited, self absorbed etc.

Unfortunately, no one sees anything wrong with producing something that offends american sensibilities though.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

Well being neither Australian or American, i am actually impartial in this whole thing... and also ( in case you didn't read through the thread) this advert was ONLY screened in Australia... not anywhere else.

It's just someone got hold of it and released it online as some malicious, hateful commercial or something... it's crazy.

I don't think anybody should make commercials that offend any other nation.

But the advert features Cricket fans from Australia and The West Indies
so not really sure what it has to do with America or Americans?

[edit on 8/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Well, I posted this commercial to some of my friends facebook pages before reading about it on this thread with the caption "LULZ, can you believe it?!"

Totally knocked me off my chair when I saw it. But that's from my north american perspective.

I am not personally offended by the commercial, as I tend to find everything about stereotypes insanely hilarious. I'm a walking stereotype myself, and I love making fun of stereotypes. So no harm done to me.

I just wanted to point out how obviously racist this was from one point of view, while being totally innocent from another.

Personally, I don't understand the australian perspective but that's because I'm ignorant of the culture and so forth. I trust that they do not find this racist.

I'm not really trying to argue anything with you, I agree with most of what you've posted. It is pretty interesting how something that seems so blatant to me is the furthest thing from the truth to someone else.

But this is what makes stuff like this so funny. It's the misrepresentation of the point of the media. Comedians use stuff like this all the time.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
I just wanted to point out how obviously racist this was from one point of view, while being totally innocent from another.

Very true, it is very interesting.
I said in my first post in this thread (yesterday, day before?) that although i personally don't find it racist, i can see why some would.

Personally, I don't understand the australian perspective but that's because I'm ignorant of the culture and so forth. I trust that they do not find this racist.

I think the Australian (perhaps world?) perspective is that the guy is at a sports game (it's cricket but we'll say sports) and he's sat with opposition fans... they're making a lot of noise and banging drums and perhaps his team is losing.... he's annoyed...so to calm it all down and make everything a little better... he pulls out a meal which is called "The crowd pleaser".. everyone eats and the crowd is pleased... it's all good.

If it was say English fans and Australians... and they were mainly or all white... this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm not Australian and i don't find it racist... although i CAN see it from both points of view.

I'm not really trying to argue anything with you, I agree with most of what you've posted.

Me too and we're not arguing, we're discussing/debating/conversing

[edit on 8/1/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Thanks for reading (and obviously not understanding) my posts.
I won't hold it against all Aussies.

I guess that's a relief for some Aussies at ATS...

But hey, if we aren't understanding you clearly, you're free to make the effort to elaborate instead of inflame.

IRM

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
kfc again? Who's is charge of their advertising anyway?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Personally I dont find this racist.

Although, I can see what people mean.

To me the white guys are saying basically that when they find themselves in an awkward situation, KFC can take you out of that awkwardness by simply sharing your food with those around you.

Imagine if it were British Soccer.
Replace the white guys with people in Manchester United Soccer Jerseys, and replace the (afraid to be labeled as a racist here) black males and females with people in Manchester CITY Soccer Jerseys.

Its exactly like the WALKERS CRISPS advertisement in the UK.

You see, the people who made this KFC advert know that a majority of the world still feel uncomfortable being surrounded by people that are not of their race. Its like when my father and my uncle traveled to America (white guys), they walked and walked and ended up in a neighborhood that was black people ONLY. My father and uncle were approached by a local (black male) who said:

"Guys, what the hell are you doing here you shouldn't be here, get the hell out of here before you get yourselves killed"

My father and uncle spoke and said:
"What do you mean? We are just looking around, why whats wrong"?

Then the black male said:
Ahh your Irish (he heard their accents), that explains it, listen guys you gotta get out of here this is a black hood around here and the local gangs will attack you since you white, you shouldnt be here guys, go back to where you came from, Im trying to save your ass

I forget the rest of the story, but my father and uncle actually ended up in the guys house and had a party with him and his mates.

It goes to show you though, although myself, my father and my uncle are not racist and although the black male was not racist; they all knew that the world is still uncomfortable with the whole situation. Hell, we are what?...40-50 years from the legendary Martin Luther King Jr made his speech? Here in Ireland, Catholics and Protestants still feel awkward walking into each others areas.

Its common knowledge.

I actually found that KFC advert funny because it "shoots from the hip" and tried to make the fact that its not racist, and that people should actually stop being racist and enjoy the different qualities of life and share that quality with a big chunk of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Its like Wrigleys chewing gum, its even better to share and it unites people

People are so damn quick to shout "Racism". People need to also not feel uncomfortable if someone says "white" or "black", because for example... A policeman knows you witnessed a crime being committed, and it just happens that the guy is black...what do you say to the cop when he asks for a description? You obviously cant say hes an African American, because you dont know that. My next door neighbor is a Nigerian Irish man and is black. So, basically you say to the cop "he was black", or if he was white you say "he was white".

Touchy touchy people ehh?

I sensed the black guy on the left hand side on that video on TYT felt the same as I did only he just went along with the story. You could see him kinda smile and "hmm and hamm" about it, he just agreed it was racist because it was a story for their news video.

KFC advert is not racist.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i'm american and i don't see it as racist as i'm sure 99% of americans do not either.

this is where PC is screwing up everything.

it is a commercial to promote a product. WTF?

besides, if that guy can get a delivery there then he should have had a better seat!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks
"Do they still refer to people of non-white skin and from southern europe, eastern europe and middle east WOGS. Do they still do that?"

Well, believe it or not...it has become almost a term of endearment!
Not only that but many Italians and Greeks refer to themselves as such.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

WOG = Westernised Oriental Gentleman

People from Southern Europe or the middle east have never been referred to as WOG's

PEACE.
RK

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join