It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The advertisement is meant to show that even sporting rivals (supporters of opposing cricket teams in this case) can put aside their differences when it comes to enjoying a KFC meal.

The heat of the battle, the tension, the passion you feel for your team, the rivalry are all temporarily suspended for the moment. The positive qualities of companionship and friendship are embraced whilst enjoying some tasty chicken.

- NOTHING to do with showing black people as rowdy.
- NOTHING to do with showing white people as superior or more civilised.
- NOTHING to do with showing that black people love KFC

And NOTHING more really needs to be said about this NON-issue.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's pretty blatant racism when you have a bunch of west Indians taking chicken from a white guy.

You don't understand the context!
You don't understand the cultures!
You don't understand cricket!
You don't understand cricket crowds!
You don't understand the legendary friendships between our two nations!

Let's face it SuperSlovak... you have consistently proven beyond any shadow of doubt that you understand absolutely nothing!

Now go play in the kiddies pool! You're way out of your depth!

IRM

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
this is mostly a parody of the situation conveyed in a multi series reality tv show... originally called, 'an Aussie goes Pommy'. which stars a man who could be described as the australian equivelent of the average sports loving aussie bloke.... and he travels to england to be in the cricket crowd with the poms, and there in lies the drama......

the second season was called an 'aussie goes balmy'... and he was merged into the crowd in either india, or pakisthan or place similar...... sorry i dont know what 'balmy' is, as i myself am not a racist and therefore do not know a generalised label of a countries population...lol....
... i jus dunno...

i think the ad chose the west somales as kfc didnt want to plagiarise, or perhaps not create the imediate bridge in the viewers mind.. maybe it was purely orignality....

just for the record Australia is proud of it's multicultural status.....
very proud, thats actually one of the only things i learnt growing up in school.....

[edit on 7-1-2010 by tripulation666]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Everybody likes chicken except for the vegans. And I don't get how people think this is racist. Every color likes chicken and white race do not dominate comercials any more. KFC is so yummy ! offtopic-I love the pug Darth Vader Avatar ! It just made my morning ! Totally made me laugh out loud it is great !

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
also for the record......

fried chicken and african americans go hand in hand in the united states......

same with the prison bitch, forced sodomy, drop the soap phenomena....

USA is the cooking pot of a lot of things....

even KFC itself....

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
if anything... these alegations are reverse racism...

which is almost just as bad..

[edit on 7-1-2010 by tripulation666]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by nahsik

I think it all depends on whether the KFC people knew their target audience would associate fried chicken with negative stereotypes. In America, there are negative stereotypes surrounding fried chicken and Black people. Have these stereotypes carried over to Australia?

To illustrate my point, let us take the swastika symbol. Today, the swastika is associated with Nazis and antisemitism. If an interior decorator put a swastika motif in a Jewish person's home, a Jewish person would take offense. Before the Nazis, the swastika had no connotations. In fact, there are old synagogues decorated with swastika motifs. One cannot take offense when people who lived before the Nazis used the swastika.

Then this might be a surprise for you because in Hindu religion the so called "swastika" symbol is still used and is very integral par of the Hindu religion. The symbol is called "Shubh Labh" which means "Good fortune". If you ever goto India and tell any Hindu this image is insulting you have had it (God save you then).

It does not matter in India whether this sign is associated with Nazi Germany, it has been prevalent in India for many decades and is specially used in important festivals like Diwali or when someone purchases a new house, vehicle etc.

That saying the point is, what is found insulting in one part of world may offend in a diff. part of world, you never know.

Edit to add: You can see in the below image, the sign is associated with Hindu Gods and how is it viewed in Hindu society.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
What a crock...
These 2 presenters are so out of touch with whats going on in the commercial.
The guy is having serious trouble stringing more than 4 wotds together and the woman assumes that the crowd are African Americans.

This is an Aussie commercial for KFC based on a cricket match between Australia and the West Indies (The steel drum/calypso music is a BIG clue here). To anyone who knows International cricket, they will know as FACT that the WIndies supporters are some of the most vocal and party loving.

There is no racism here, only an assumption by an American woman that a group of black fans at a sporting event are African American and their silence is being bought by an Aussie fan with a bucket of fried chicken.

How wrong she is

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's pretty blatant racism when you have a bunch of west Indians taking chicken from a white guy.

You don't understand the context!
You don't understand the cultures!
You don't understand cricket!
You don't understand cricket crowds!
You don't understand the legendary friendships between our two nations!

Let's face it SuperSlovak... you have consistently proven beyond any shadow of doubt that you understand absolutely nothing!

Now go play in the kiddies pool! You're way out of your depth!

IRM

let's face it, you wouldn't understand racism if it came up and bit you in the ass.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 7-1-2010 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I really dont see it as being racist. Just stereotypical. For instance. I've seena protest via the news over in some african country (cant remember which one), and all these africans are protesting, but they're all out there jumping around, singing songs, beating drums, playing music while proesting in a huge crowd.

Then you come to Australia and have a look at a protest and you'll have people with banners and signs, a few with a speaker-phone saying something, talking about thier issue with who-ever, and getting the crowd chanting a few certain phrases over and over again.

I dont find it racist, just stereotypical..

Its a KFC commercial for chicken for fried sakes. USing cricket as its medium. West indies vs australia. Not racist.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

Ok so a large fast food restruant sponsors cricket. Said restruants most popular dish is a large bucket of chicken. The spectator wishes to calm the crowd down and so offers this large bucket up to satisfy the other fans.

Yeah i'm struggling with the racism angle here. I am sure i'm missing it, i'm sure i'm ignorant.............or maybe i just think it's utterly stupid to call this racist.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

let's face it, you wouldn't understand racism if it came up and bit you in the ass.

Oh, we Aussies understand racism well - the whole country watched last year as our Prime Minister apologised to our Aboriginal people for the harms caused to them by our forefathers - something which seems to be easily forgotten by those hell-bent on slandering Aussies as being racist.

All of also grew up learning about multiculturalism and how we should be accepting and understanding of ALL cultures on Earth - something which most of us accept and practice on a day-to-day basis - and something which I am currently finding VERY hard to apply to your American understanding of Aussie culture.

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Can we do poll's here on ATS. We should have a poll to see what the outcome would be on this.

I watched it and to be honest its not racist IMO. For those who find it racist you have to lighten up a bit. If it was Racist those black folk in the advert would have not done it. The word racist is being used so much these days its losing its power.

Everybody loves KFC!

Tsom87

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Perhaps I should mention something which seems to have escaped certain peoples attention, even though it has been posted many times in this thread:

ONLY IN AMERICA ARE FRIED CHICKEN AND PEOPLE WITH BLACK SKIN RACIALLY CONNECTED.

Why oh why is this so difficult to understand?

For a culture that is so supposedly against racism, you certainly seem to have a morbid fascination with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Perhaps I should mention something which seems to have escaped certain peoples attention, even though it has been posted many times in this thread:

ONLY IN AMERICA ARE FRIED CHICKEN AND PEOPLE WITH BLACK SKIN RACIALLY CONNECTED.

Why oh why is this so difficult to understand?

For a culture that is so supposedly against racism, you certainly seem to have a morbid fascination with it.

A good point but even though i am aware of this i still do not see this ad as racist. The company supports cricket and it's biggest product is a chicken bucket, which the man offers to the crowd to calm them down. If this had been a pizza company it would have been the exact same ad and we wouldn't have had the uproar.

I think the real racists are the ones who are so aware and sensitive of racial issues that they react over any little thing they perceive as bad.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

A good point but even though i am aware of this i still do not see this ad as racist.

Neither do I

Sorry, just had to say it in case you thought I believed the ad was racist. Your above comment seems to indicate thus (or perhaps I am just overtired and reading it wrong lol).

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

I think the real racists are the ones who are so aware and sensitive of racial issues that they react over any little thing they perceive as bad.

My thoughts exactly

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I am Australian and that commercial comes off as extremely racist.

I'm not surprised that a lot of Australian people think its ok though. Australia is one of the most racist countries in the world today.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I am an Australian (and not a white one) and like to say this advertisement is not racist at all! It shows an Aussie at a cricket match sitting with West Indian supporters and obviously West Indies are doing well and the people are cheering their home team. So he is in an ackward situation and of course with a bucket of KFC in his hand he becomes part of the crowd! Racist? Not at all. The people who think this is racist are racist or know nothing about cricket, West Indies or Australia! Cheers. Raja

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Part of me laughed at the ad (so sue me), the other part of me wonders what on Earth would prompt KFC to put out an ad like that? Of course it's racist!!!

Peace

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join