It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist KFC Ad in Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I was totally outraged that individual Americans such as these people are taking shots at Australians, calling them racist because of this advertisement. Firstly they don't even understand the game of cricket and are taking this way out of context here. These are not african people and are people from the west indies. They do get interested in a game of cricket like this and australians love chicken and KFC like any other normal person. KFC is one of the well known sponsors of cricket australia and compete well against other fast food restaurants.

I am brown skinned and not originally from Australia and I find really contradictory that people of colour are finding anyway to lay the next white person as a racist when they themselves take part in the same action.

I would love to hear from both Australians and Americans on this matter.

***Updated***

Also I would like to know what your thoughts on globalisation and media such as this being accessible to the entire world and not just one place. Should large corporations and companies such as this be looking at media at a global scale and consider the cultural and ethical problems throughout the world when releasing such advertisement as this?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by nahsik]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Lol, I remember I had an aboriginal mate round for some drinks and this ad came on, we joked about it being racist even though it is clearly not meant to be interpreted that way. Maybe America should start worrying about their own media and leave harmless KFC ads alone. Seriously it's an ad for chicken!!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

I think it all depends on whether the KFC people knew their target audience would associate fried chicken with negative stereotypes. In America, there are negative stereotypes surrounding fried chicken and Black people. Have these stereotypes carried over to Australia?

To illustrate my point, let us take the swastika symbol. Today, the swastika is associated with Nazis and antisemitism. If an interior decorator put a swastika motif in a Jewish person's home, a Jewish person would take offense. Before the Nazis, the swastika had no connotations. In fact, there are old synagogues decorated with swastika motifs. One cannot take offense when people who lived before the Nazis used the swastika.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
But how is black people love chicken a negative stereotype? Who doesn't like fried chicken? It's delicious, you don't have to be black to know fried chicken and watermelon taste awesome. This is one "negative stereotype" I never understood.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Have these stereotypes carried over to Australia?

No, not at all. Chicken is just chicken

Before the Nazis, the swastika had no connotations.

very true, it has been around from the Neolithic period and was first found in the Indus Valley Civilization of the Indian Subcontinent.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I kinda think the ad was funny.
What if there were two black guys stuck in that situation with a bunch of white people watching a hockey game, would it be racist if they passed around a thing of turkey around (or whatever is a stereotypical 'cracker' food)
Nah it wouldn't be racist because everybody knows you can't be racist if it's towards us white people......

Or two Britts passing around potatoes and cabbage to all the Irish at a futbol game?? would that be racist

lol

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
No we don't have the same negative stereotypes of a black person and their chicken and why are they pulling it out of context. This marketing ploy was directed at Australians, Americans have no clue when it comes to a game of cricket.

I'm just disgusted that they would step to an all time low and label this is as racist. Come on! KFC is an American branded company. I'm pretty sure they would of been smarted than that.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

This is just plain wowserism...

A 'Wowser: an ineffably pious person who mistakes this world for a penitentiary and himself for a warder'

Australia is about to play the West Indies in Cricket...
...there is no offence here...
...it is all in good fun.

If you see a racist slur in this then you have the problem not KFC or Australians.

Go get a life and start judging people by the color of the blood that runs through their viens and not the color of their skin...
...grow up guys!

link   
You know what is funnier still. Watch some more of the Young Turk vids. It is a YouTube version of MSNBC.

They always have about 2 or 3 vids on the top slots, with barely any comments.

YouTube is a new member of the MSM.

Many can see the stupidity of that YouTube channel.

They are the new Eyes wide Shut crowd.

link   
My understanding of this is that the ad was not to be presented in any other country apart from Oz, due to this fact. The lack of understanding of our culture and others, is behind this whole free for all, and I think it was stated that it was not the American public that was crying shame, it was their media groups.
To be frank, if you really listen to the comericail it is just saying, IMOO, that to make friends hand out some KFC. Typical of our Ethos here in Oz.
We have been continually labeled over the last year or so as being racist. We all know (us Aussies anyways) that we are one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world, and I believe, the most accepting. If they really want to get up in arms over this, well, as stated by others that have viewed this article, they should have a really good look in their own backyard before they start throwing stones others!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
You could interpret the meaning of that commercial so many different ways depending on your culture. You could also make it out to be racist against whites. Its just a matter of what you know andhow you see it I guess.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Wow, that commercial IS racist.

Obviously the producers only hired the white guy because they had to, after hiring all of those black people.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I would say from an American perspective.... racist.

From an enlightened perspective.... not racist.

KFC sponsors many Cricket Games including the former KFC Cup. The black people surrounding the white man in the center are all wearing the opposite jerseys of the man.

What we also have to remember is that Australia is not the U.S. It is easy for Americans to assume incorrectly.

The only American-centric stereotypes they have are all second hand and minor. They have their own culture. Their culture has had to deal with a whole number of other factors most North Americans are unaware.

Aussies have had to deal, and meld with greater numbers of Asian cultures as well as the plight of the Aborigine's. Most Americans are unaware that Australia has had a long history of racism against Aborigine's, not much unlike America's own racial struggles.

The producers of the piece wanted the viewer to know, in the few seconds they had to show, that the man in the middle was not rooting for the same team. Using a black crowd (shows it is another nationality entirely, international cricket is common), with opposite uniforms, shows that so it is easy to understand. That it is fried chicken is a non-issue. That is a US stereotype.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've been taught when opening a discussion on a subject, talk with reasonability and always understand the context when it comes to the subject.

I hate these liberalistic views of where anything that may label the black, brown ethnic community at a disadvantage or through a cause of defamation is instantly seen as racist.

We need to grow as people and stop playing in a school yard where everyone is labelled by the colour of the skin, what types of clothes they wear, or how they speak or are into.

Shows like this don't help our cause and lower our standards of living down a notch

[edit on 6-1-2010 by nahsik]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
'Racism' and 'aliens' are being worked overtime by the (spit) mainstream media AND by paid-to-post trolls in this and other fora

It's clear -- detract from the complete stuff-ups being perpetrated under our noses by the Thug Government Cabals and their mates -- by turning the Sheeples attention to sure-fire, knee-jerk, emotional topics such as
'racism' and 'aliens'. All designed to keep the 85-IQs busy online and bolstered by the (spit) mainstream media

And the nonsense being spouted by the hick female presenter and her mildly-melonin-enriched buddy are a perfect example

The Aussie is stuck in amongst West Indian supporters. He's alone. He's outnumbered, hence his 'awkward situation' comment. So, to compensate, he wishes he had something familiar, such as ... a Kit Kat, a packet of Smarties, a favourite-brand beer ............. OR (seeing this is a KFC commercial) some Kentucky Fried Chicken !

Rocket science, huh !

But *IF* the commercial had been for a BEER ----- then boo hoo. Because the barely-visible melanin-endowed whiners and their mainstream media co-conspirators would have NOTHING to whine about !

So aren't those melanin-enriched whiners and the msm galoots LUCKY that in THIS INSTANCE, it was Kentucky Fried Chicken who made this commerical ?

Yeah. LUCKY ! Lucky because it fits right in with the zionists NEVER-ENDING agenda to Divide and Rule, using skin-colour as their lowest-common denomenator

And for all those Americans and others who STILL don't get it ... here's the news:

MILLIONS of Aussies eat chicken. We KNOW about mad-cow and prions and all the OTHER population-culling diseases hatched in US labs --- and we don't WANT any, thanks

So we eat fried chicken. And Tiger Prawns. And Avocados. And salads. And fish and chips. And Sushi --- with Kentucky Fried Chicken being just ONE of the fast-food chicken varieties

Nothing whatsoever to do with the colour of anyone skin

So all the pigment-endowed AND the sucm mainstream media are just going to have to DEAL with it

and will HAVE to take on board

that NO-ONE .. worldwide ... gives a rat's derriere what failed America or its lumpen chat-show mongs have to say about anything at all

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What the?? How are people saying this racist??? The ad is in a series of ads promoting KFC and the cricket, the white guy is the main in all of them where he uses chicken to keep people quiet so he can watch the cricket. White and black people in all the ads. They were playing the windies in the cricket and it was more illustrating that KFC is so good it could stop the jubilant celebrations of such a festive people. Seriously america, pull the stick out your ass and just relax.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Are those french fries?? O much rather have the american kfc potato wedges.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Sure it's racist. And demeaning and derogatory too. Disgusting is what it is. But hey, what ya gonna do about, hum? What can anyone do? Them humons have been treating chickens as second rate citizens of earth and eating their flesh and blood for a long long time. I can't see them wanting to stop that now, or anyone getting them to mature and stop all that barbarism and animal racism.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
...KFC and Cricket...

...heh...you want infamacy?
Lets talk about a certain incident in 1981...Chappell bowling underarm!!!!!

...but seriously...I'm not seeing it as racist either...and I'm - in the words of our illustrious Paul Holmes - a 'cheeky darkie' myself...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
For an african american in that video to say that it was racist for the black people (who were incidentally from the west indies) to eat chicken, he acknowledges the stereotype that all african americans love their chicken. He does not help to deter it but incite it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join