It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there ANY way to decipher between the 'truth' and fear mongering?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well, is there?

I'm seeing a lot of linked videos on ATS recently that have to do with 'our country spiraling to oblivion,' and 'we have to react before it's too late,' as well as 'our economy is F_____.'

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for being informed, and seeing what we need to be prepared for, but to what extent?

Some of the stuff I read on ATS nowadays has me thinking that I need to run out and start spending my paychecks on water filters, and an AR-15.

But then a day later, I'm back to the question of, What is reality, really?

So fellow ATS members, I pose this question to you all, do you have any helpful techniques to cut the fear mongering out, and see the picture as a whole? Or is this just plain impossible?

Excited to see what you all have to say!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Just dont fear any of this crap. Your on a ride watching a humanoid civilization enter a stage 1 civilization (as Dr Kaku would put it). Dont rise up against our authorities or even speak bad about them, thats just stupid. They worked the hardest to get control of this world and probably saved us from destroying ourselves many times its just coming to the point now where we are entering a new era and in a world where one person can murder many people we need a ruling body with strict codes. I use to be scared by all the conspiracies and stuff but now after Im chilled out and gotten wiser I realize it is all evolution of our species, we were meant to have secret societies that work for greater control. It evolution of our ruling body. I want to imagine us humans going galactic and ponder on the bueaty of our universe, not live in fear of my own parents/government.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Oh, wow! You just plucked these exact same thoughts right out of my head!

I've been wrestling with this idea myself. Since joining ATS, I do feel more informed about many things. But what do I do with that information? How do I determine what I should trust and what I shouldn't?

The terrorism angle really hits home for me. It may sound really surprising, but I never had an inkling that our own government might have some explaining to do with relation to 9-11. Never heard of a black flag op, anything like this. Then I come to this sight and get a real education....now my head is spinning. Is the US really under threat of terrorism? If so, are the stringent security measures and freedoms lost (Patriot Act) a legitimiate, reasonable, and truthful response to that threat? Or are the powers that be using it for another agenda?

I guess this is the basis for that tried but true cliche...ignorance is bliss.

It's also the reason religion is so attractive, in my opinion. Saying things are "God's Will", etc., allows us to feel safe and protected despite the very real chaos spinning out of control around us.

As for solutions? Got none, but can't wait to hear what others suggest.

Very well written!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
NO

I believe not

I think we are past the point of no return-

Humans trust their own eyes and minds first, tis our chains and our only hope all rolled into
one.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far! and smyleegrl, I know what you mean.

Since I have joined (which wasn't all that long ago) I have definitely learned a lot, but now there is a constant battle in myself between what to believe on ATS, what to believe from any media outlet, and whether or not I should just nix it all, and believe in my own experience.

It has even gotten to the point where on a recent History channel show, they mentioned that 13,000 years ago, humans weren't around, and my mind shot to a few threads on here that show that humans quite possibly HAVE been around that long!

So then questions turns to, well why are we being taught this from an early age? And suddenly things are spiraling out of control.

It's all so confusing...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well our reality right now is one where we could be headed for disaster.

The way I cut out fear-mongerers is that they usually never attempt to provide any solution or message of hope for the doomed situation. People who speak the "truth" are the ones who say that we can come out of it alive, and can build upon what we go through. Fear mongerers say that their is no hope, we are doomed: Rise up, grab your shottie, and start a revolution.

If you want truth: Look up Club of Budapest and Ervin Lazlo.
If you want fear mongerer: Look up Alex Jones.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

I'll get on that for sure, thanks for the references!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

So fellow ATS members, I pose this question to you all, do you have any helpful techniques to cut the fear mongering out, and see the picture as a whole? Or is this just plain impossible?

To be honest, I'd say put some distance between you and the ATS community. Of all the websites I visit daily, I have to say that ATS is the most unique if for no other reason than the vortex of fear, uncertainty, and rage which - if too much time is spent, can begin to weight on your shoulders and corrode your soul with an almost tactile atmosphere of oppression. I find I have to take breaks on occasion to "detox" the negativity.

With the news media, I can understand their motives and identify their sales pitches for what they are. Their sensationalism is mitigated by a grain of salt, and more often than not - I just simply won't watch TV due to the baseness of producing for the lowest common denominator demographic. I'd rather spend the time online surfing for educational material - answering all those odd-ball questions which creep into my head that many people just shrug off.

I do enjoy the exposure to "left-field" ideas I get here, and the unintended avenues of discovery I occasionally stumble upon when investigating some claim - either to establish the credibility of, or fact checking my responses to. Yet it'd depressing to see so many people seemingly lost in the dreamland, frightened, confused, and angry - pursuing magics and myths in the desperate hope of something remarkable.

ATS is a sojourn into the heart of the demon haunted world that Carl Sagan wrote about.

Originally posted by smyleegrl
How do I determine what I should trust and what I shouldn't?

You need to develop a working methodology for testing and falsifying claims presented to you. Develop standards of credibility and adhere to them. Become familiar with a wide variety of topics from which to cross-reference claims.

A good rule of thumb which has served me well; abandon your search for the "Truth". If you set out searching for only the truth, then no matter where you look you will find it. I don't mean to suggest that the truth is hidden in plain sight, but that cognitive biases must be accounted for and marginalized to the best of your ability to weed out false positives and phantom correlations.

One rule of thumb which has worked well for me; "Seek not the truth, Seek instead concordance and the truth will follow of it's own accord."

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Lasheic]

top topics

join