It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we really do "this" any longer?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I really do love this thread. It touches on some great points. I have a friend that's working a job right now that he hates, but he's doing it so he can buy a new truck. Me? I have two legs and a bicycle. I walk or ride that thing everywhere.

I've got a dad saying I need to get in debt and go to school or join the military. Now I understand the need for education and what not. But seriously, why is education so expensive? And why would I plunge myself into school loans having absolutely no idea what I want to do? How can I kill for a country who's government is shadier than a sycamore tree?

I imagine a world where everyone's basic needs are met. Nobody starves. Nobody is out sleeping in the cold. Is it possible? Absolutely. People label me as a "dreamer" or "idealist". Adults tell me, "Well that's just not how the world works." What do you mean? WE CAN MAKE IT WORK! You, me, him, her. It's a simple choice. What will we choose?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
For the OP and the other youngsters here: my advice is, go and live your life before you "grow up." Experience as many different things as you possibly can. Travel. Don't limit yourself early on.

The most important thing is -- don't get yourself into debt or any other dependency on the state or anyone else. Then take a few hundred dollars, buy a plane ticket to some country you've never been to, and explore. Tour Europe for six months to a year. Or go to Asia. Meet people, discover other mentalities, and learn all you can. Then come back (or not) and translate that excitement you've found into making a life for yourself in which you can follow your dreams. No one is forcing you to spend your life in a cubicle. Only you can kill your dreams by not having any. Keep dreaming, and believe that your dreams can come true. Make them so.

I lived a very regular if versatile life as a copywriter in advertising until I was 33. I had started working right after high school, and even though the job (or jobs, I had more than one) was great at first, after more than 10 years I just didn't want to run in the treadmill anymore.

So I got myself a visa, sold nearly everything I had and moved to Arizona, with two small boxes and two suitcases (and not a lot of money). I had no job, no prospects, and barely enough money to hold me over for three months. But I made it, and it was the happiest (though poorest) time of my life. I felt like I had finally spread my wings and was soaring.

After a year, I met my now-husband and love of my life. We lived the "freebird" life for 2.5 years and went back to a more normal lifestyle. Today we're married almost 9 years and have a lovely 6-year-old son. I'm employed again, with a very similar job as I had before, but I am much happier and more satisfied now. But without that period of free-wheelin' life in between, I don't think I'd be content with a "normal family life" like I have now. That's why I'm saying, break free for a while and follow your heart's desire. Then, when you settle down, you won't have any regrets or feel you missed out on something.

This is the worst advice on this thread.
This advice is telling the op to conform right back into what he is having troubles with conforming to. Your just telling him to conform after he has a "bit" of freedom from the grind. It's not about conforming to any of todays crazy slave ways. I don't have a better peice of advice. I can just say if your going to go against the system make sure you educate yourself beyond the means of need. It's all b.s. any way. I own my own company and I still want this and want that. I have financial security and I still can't say I'm happy, Most people would trade places with me, but it's a virus, you want more, you need more, your never happy, Bigger house..get it....high end cars..get it.. live a life people wish they had...And then it starts all over again,again,again, My only happyness is my kid and my wife every thing else is just a damn rat race. So kids I'm telling you don't take her advice. Don't spread your wings to fly and then eventually return to where you started from only in a different spot. Buck the system! Buck it! Buck it! And don't look back!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Just a quick response to add a famous qote by George Bernard Shaw:

"Youth is wasted on the young."

One day you "whipper-snappers" will understand that.

My .02¢: Just follow your dreams and you'll have no regrets. People often regret the things they DIDN'T do more than the ones they DID.

And another quote by some Swami:

Bad News = There is no key to the universe.
Good News = It was never locked.

Nice thread. Hope you find your way.

Regards...kk

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am 18 years old and I feel exactly the same way. I just can't stop thinking that this isn't the way it's supposed to be. I look around me and everybody just seems so hollow, so lifeless. I have no idea what i plan to do with my life but there is no way i can see myself working so hard and basically becoming a slave. I think that something is going to have to change and soon. People can only be oppressed for so long.

As for 2012, i think something is absolutely going to happen. It kinda puzzled me why they would make a movie about 2012 a few years before unless they wanted people to be aware of it and be scared of it. If something supernatural such as a shift in consciousness doesn't occur, then TPTB will absolutely see it as a once in a lifetime chance. How could they pass up that opportunity. What exactly will happen, who knows.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I feel the same was as you and yet i am under 30. As for 2012... i am not certain of what my future hold.. also but i do feel that something BIG is going to happen. Good or bad... i dont know honestly and when that happens it will change everyone and have a huge impact on everyone for the rest of their lives from that day on. But i can tell you this... while all of these illusions, deceiving, lying.. that is happening with the system is failing... i feel that Karma is speeding up. And you best BELIEVE.... KARMA is REAL and no matter what its coming for everyone.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Great post, if I knew how to star and flag I would.
I remember feeling pretty much the same when I was your age (I'm 26), and I agree with most of what the other posters are saying, its all about finding what you love and taking it from there.

Hang in there dude it'll come when you need it, Trust me

As for 2012? Well my view is that by then the Iranis will have their precious nuke and will be toting it at Israel, and with allies like Russia and China they'll have all the confidence to do so with gusto and in one big push of 'ol red button they'll bring about the death of the west and themselves pulling all of us into the third great war, Gods final test of modern man.

Pessimistic I know, but hey, I am English

[edit on 7-1-2010 by richiboi04]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Ya, i second that, and must give the OP a big tony the tiger "GRREEEEEEAAAAAAAT" post as well, very well worded. Unfortunately, i also don't know how to star and flag,
I need to figure that out...

,I don't feel anything will happen that hasn't already been happening for the past i don't even know how many years. I really hope nothing happens, considering the past few centuries the only major developments that have happened are NOT for the better, whether they be technological advancements or political change they ALL end up being used for ill purposes it seems (at least to me). If anything good happens, like the internet, the idiot employees of the things that enslave us come and regulate it to death. Or imprison it. Or publicly discredit it, just depends what it is and what is most convenient. I hope nothing happens, but then again i must admit i have had a crazy feeling or something since like 1999 and on, and it has just gotten worse. Have to admit that. Whatever it feels like, i don't think it feels good, kinda like the feeling a week before you get fired from a job? lol

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hey their OP, i made this account halfway through last year, dont think ive ever actually posted anything on it (im more of a lurker) but when i read this, i felt i had to put in my own bit.

basically, im in a similar situation with you, im 19 also, i live in the UK, i work (8 and a half hours a day, and the occasional over time of 11 and a half hours that i despise)

myself, ive been in a repition since i started my job, which as described by others, is sleep, work etc etc

and i will say this now, i absolutely despise it, all the material posseions i own (almost all) are items i bought myself, and tbh, i couldnt careless if i didnt have them. i am just tired of this life that really is no life, i dont know how people can just go out their, take that year off and live a little (something i might look into)

but personally, id rather be living in a small village, that run's off by its own people and live a simple life like that, than live in the robotic state that myself and others are in.

we are meant to live life to the fullest, but that becomes hard when you have all these obsticles in the way, like for example, i am dearly missing valuable time with my friends, but with work, it makes it hard to spend time with them, and at the moment, i have not got the energy to try and arrange things with them, to me, this is not how life is meant to be, i feel like my life is leading me into a dead end, i have only 1 friend that i will speak to on a regulary basis, that is all the contact that is social with other people.

sorry for this long post by the way, just had to get it out of me, got alot that i want to get out of me actually but i dont want to be the main focus of someone else's post

Just try to live a life that is not like mine mate.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I feel for you my friend. I feel we only get one life and i don't want to spend it slaving away at the nine to five i wanna be free to do the things i want to do. I think people believe that if there were no such thing as work we would all be lazy slobs and nothing would get done. I do not believe this to be true i think we would have more time to create and think! we would evolve much quicker.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Around 2012, we will get rid of money.

That's my prediction.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
2012: people will fight back. not physically, of course. but in numbers we'll revolt. there are millions of us, you, me, everyone on this forum, everyone in the world. the young will fight back first, people like you, they'll start the change because they'd go crazy if they didn't do anything. then the older people will join in, keep the ball rolling, finding sanity in the young people's words. famous people will join us (and hopefully won't mysteriously die) and the tower will crumble! :-D

2010: it's starting, that change. (laaa.) people like you, me, everyone on this forum. we can't see ourselves live the same routine for decades. it's RIDICULOUS. i mean, i can't see myself work like a robot. i can't. i'd rather pack up my things, move out in the middle of the desert of arizona, and start my own little farm to keep myself alive. even if it's government property, i don't care. i was born on earth, i shouldn't have to pay to live on it.

we want change! and if they don't give it to us, we'll take it anyway!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I do feel that something big will happen this year. Perhaps we will meet an early doomsday or a change will occur for the better. I think something like alien contact,(friendly or not) is likely to happen,or maybe something disastrous causing a large number of deaths like more biological warfare. In fact,i have been noticing that the number of chemtrails have increased in my area. (which is real suspicious because they were REALLY rare in the area i live in)

anywho... I feel like this year will bring a drastic change. all i can say is be prepared for anything.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
OP, well done for being so aware at a young age. I'm not going to go into the debate of what will or what won't happen. That's not the point. There are thousand of theories about what will happen in the future, just like there were theories decades ago about what will happen in year 2000.

I'm 32. I spent my 20's in angst. Don't do it. Live your life. Sure, educate yourself about what is happening around you, but don't let it worry you. That may be an easy thing to say, but start to teach yourself to not worry. At the end of the day worrying won't get you anywhere. Educate yourself about the world around you, and teach yourself how to react in any situation.

As the quote says, "You have nothing to fear, but fear itself".

JSR

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by TheOneElectric

When you meet your Soulmate, build a home and hold your child in your arms; it will all be clear. Until they become Teenagers and then you might have second thoughts for a moment, but only a moment.

i was thinking this while i was reading. i was happy to see it posted.

to the OP. just my 2 cents.
life is ment as a blank palette. your whole job in life is to create. create love. create great things. you dont want a 9 to 5. well, nobody does. so dont be one. go, live, love, learn, no regrets. but, do not forget your education. the most important tool you have to create the life you want is your brain. so fill it with all that you can. you will need it.

now go be happy, and dont worry about what will or wont happen. if life really is an illusion, then go live the illusion you want and not the one sombody else want.

---------------
damn tags

[edit on 7-1-2010 by JSR]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
your post touch me theoneelectric, right now i'm living as you said (work,sleep,work) for about three years...i spend 9 hours in work and 4 hours with my family waiting for friday anxiously (in spite of i love my work)...

i have 33 years old and when i was 19 i thought just like you (i still do), i spend two years after school "meditating" and i began to feel useless so i went to study..so here i am feeling useless again, but in society i'm useful
i refuse wait for 65 to "enjoy life" as you said.

i'll leave the city and go to the country...is a very hard decision...lifestyle will broke and i don't care, just let things happen. i'm not hiding as some people said to me,i pursuit my internal call that grows every second.

well...2012 i don't know, many theories..i hope the same as you but i see many deaths from now on...as i see and being very honest, somehow the chimps will be separated from orangutans and the little and primitive monkeys will disappear.

please excuse my english (not native language)

PD: i hope you take into account all beautiful words from some members

[edit on 7-1-2010 by man10]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
S&F Electric

All i can add is that i am not 19 anymore and i am trapped in that slavery which has made me inneficient recently. The trap works both against me physically and mentally as well as against the false system since i am not an efficient productee anymore. In other words the system in my eyes has shown its shortcommings and that it is a failure.
What will come? I guess we ll have to wait and see...

On the other hand what i would suggest is keeping your cool as much as u can
even through this system there are still tons of wonders to explore

Love to all,
George

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
To everyone who starred and flagged this you are morons, to the o.p get over it what you gonna do? You live in the worlds richest country you are free, you don't wanna be a slave, don't make me laugh a slave to what freedom to chose your own destiny, you don't wanna follow the workers route well don't it's your life do with it want you want. There's workers out there in indonesia grafting in live volcanoes mining sulphur for a penny a day to support there families and there the lucky ones (mind you'll they'll be dead by 30). Grow up you ungrateful spoiled westerner

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by windowlicker80

I'm guessing from your post you are not a "westerner", so here is a phrase that comes to mind:

"The grass is always greener on the other side".

You are obviously on the "outside", looking in, saying the OP is ungrateful, yet the irony is the OP is living the life you think is so great, but doesn't like it despite living it.

I agree with the OP entirely that the cycle of work, sleep, debt, work, sleep is slavery. I quit the rat race before I even started it. I run a company for fun, not profit, enjoy life, make money, and do what I want, when I want, and I look at my friends running the 9-5 lifestyle, up to the eyes in debt, unable to do what they want because they have to keep cars, houses etc.. and I think "what is the point?".

I hate the idea of having to work in a job 9-5 for 30 years to pay off a loan for something that is seriously over-priced, and I don't actually need to buy, but feel pressured to do so to "conform". Not me - I'm free.

The whole idea of credit is flawed. They look at your past 2 years employment and earnings history to determine if you can get a 25 year mortgage, when it is not at all certain you will have a job next week. That is as screwed up as it gets.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
IMO, in order to create a "utopian society," we have to find enough materials to build houses such as their price is dramatically reduced. That, to me is the single biggest obstacle to overcome in one's life. If one doesn't have to worry about the mortgage, then one would not have to work nearly as much. Most health problems can be overcome with diet and exercise. And if you live a sedentary lifestyle, then you don't need nearly as much food(it's possible to subsist entirely on M&Ms, for example, and never having to take a dump).

I've also come up with some ideas about how a society could grow up to be 20% beautiful(see link in sig), at the very least it should be higher than the ratio of beautiful people to the number of cute babies that I see, which is like a 1%-80% ratio right now.

Pour everything we have to the hydro-electric car, and make it as cheap as possible. That is pretty much the biggest concern of the environment right now.

Finally, it's entirely possible to eliminate poverty if everyone in the developed country was to adopt one or even two poorest people from the undeveloped ones, but that is perhaps too idealistic.

All in all, I think the solutions are there. It's incumbent for us, who are well off, to make the change, because poor people just simply don't have the resources or even think rationally. I mean, just telling your relatives to not have kids if they can't support them is a good start.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Wait, my friends. An alternative is coming soon.

www.project89.org...

When the site finally pops, the time has come.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join