It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we really do "this" any longer?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Wow only 19! You are way too young to be so pessimisstic. What are
you going to think when you are 96? Life is an endurance test, patience required. The work system is to keep people stabilized, this is essential for the young and old to feel secure. People like scheduals and want to
expect continuity. Enjoy your young life ,when you hit 40 you will be piled up with a load of responsibility and have minor helth problems. Commitments and responsibility. Yes, I would like along vacation away from my life, a tent in the Carribbean looks tempting sometimes. Find something you enjoy and do that for your life's work. Smile more you'll feel happier.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 33 and still feel the same way.

I live my life as "free" as I possibly can. I like to keep it simple.
I've worked in stressful jobs that drove me to take anti-depressants for 6 months. But one day I woke up and it hit me, "My life should be better than this! I should be enjoying myself. Why should I conform to the way society wants me to live, just to fit in? I don't need the biggest house in the street, the flashiest car, the swimming pool, I just need my sanity and my health."
So now I work in an environment that allows me more time to indulge in the things I enjoy. The work is infrequent but that suits me just fine. Financially I do ok because when I was working in these stressful jobs I put money away until I could afford to invest in property.

It's a depressing thought when you think of how many people live a zombie-like existence. Most people retire when they're too old to make the most of it.
I want to explore the world and uncover it's secrets NOW, while I'm still young and fit! I want to play golf while I can still drive the ball 200 + yards! I want to keep having plenty of stress-free sex before a hip replacement and slowing libido renders me useless in the sack! (For any members on this site over 60 I mean no disrespect, I'm just being cheeky)

We should be living for now, not slaving away for the future.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Sorry Kid, welcome to reality. My teenagers can't stop playing video games thinking that this game is teaching them strategy. One wants to be an engineer but shows no interest in science or mechanical devices.

This generation is lost, they believe that good times is coming their way just for existing. They think that someone (the government) will take care of them instead of realizing the government is the problem.

It used to be that those of us who got trained in a skilled field worked hard and reaped the best benefits so that we could get ahead. Now we are over taxed so that the lasy loosers can get more and those who really produced are left without the disposable income to make personal progress.

Instead of worrying that someone else makes too much money, figure out how you can get their job. Listen to the millionaires, not the hundredaires.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I love when the generation just coming into its own starts to validate my generations feelings and subsequent lack of action. Everything you said is right. The way you feel is more true than you might actually be able to understand currently. Things are going to change! I know this because we are change, you, me and others like us. I'm 30 years old. I work for my father, not because I'm lazy and don't want to get a real job, I tried that. I really hated working for corporations and people who are materialists. We operate a small business that does really well and we provide for our family and we help our friends. You should find a way to do something similar. But I must warn you, this choice to work to live and not live to work means you will have pretty much only what you truly need, and not much of what you want or desire...Are you ready for that, can you sacrifice your desires for peace of mind and financial stability. I fell into this position I find myself, but I won't give it up now because I see the true value in how I'm able to live and the Time my life affords me currently, which is all I ever wanted...Time to do what I Like, what I want to do. I think you are going to find things changing very quickly this year...Embrace the change and help create what we need to survive harmoniously with Mother Nature instead of killing her in the name of materialist egotism. Most importantly try to get others your age to at least THINK about what your feeling. They will laugh, but they will THINK and they will WONDER, trust me!

JustJoe

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Great thread and well written!

The purpose of life is not just work and family. A "few" too many people make those two things their sole ambition and it has to do with social conditioning from family, friends and school. You must go to college, you must get a good paying job, you must get married early, you must drive an expensive car, you should buy a home and never rent, you should raise children(preferably two or more)etc..etc

I think we are all responsible for this and some societies place success higher than others. In poor countries its about surviving while in developed countries its about getting ahead. Personally I dislike being "a responsible person" and prefer to live day-by-day while simultaneously striving for the best.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I gave you a star and flag because your post seems heart felt and sincere and is well presented . Please don't think this is meant condescendingly to anyone your age. It truly isn't.

But what you speak of, the semi-fear of the future, the feeling as if some sort of veil has lifted, the feeling of 'now' that is sweeping over you and most of all the uncertainty associated with simply not being able to see yourself 'conforming' to the society you live in is ages, eons old.

It's teen angst plain and simple. To debate endlessly and try to pretend it isn't is actually the clearest indicator it is.

I would say the only thing different at all now is that it seems to occur later chronologically speaking than it once did. I work with youth for a living and that is what seems most odd---given the over abundance of (mostly useless) information todays young people are exposed to, you would think it would be the opposite situation.

But more precisely on topic: yes, we can go on like 'this' . We humans always have and we always will. The reasons we have and will become obvious with age and have nothing whatsoever to do with being 'enlightened' or 'vibrations' or 'being awake' or any foreboding calendar year(My generation had '1984' as our '2012').

At any rate---good luck to all our youth. Just remember this: youth is a lot more fleeting than you think and by the time you start to see what your youthful generation SHOULD do you aren't that young anymore.

Ironic, eh?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Clark Savage Jr.]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I just turned 20 and have felt the same way for some time. I think at this time we are at the beginning of growing up.But the rebellion of a teenager is still within us, so the mainstream way of growing up is somewhat hard to accept. But what is there to do to be unique, separated from the subjection of governments and still live somewhat civilized? Sure, a year of freedom and excitement somewhere exotic in the world might be extraordinary, but for how long? At one point You settle down somewhere and then, yes, You're a typical grown up again, with a spouse, kids, and if lucky - other than a 9-5 job(But in the long run it is still work-sleep-work). No matter where You are on the planet, Im afraid I cannot think of any possibilities of escaping the system. Apart from temporary solutions,like running away or rebelling, only something global and currently unimaginable (2012 or whenever) must happen to change our world.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by iscorpio]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I am 23 and completely understand what you mean. I believe that alot of the people responding on here are correct, we are entering an age of enlightenment but i can already tell that it is not affecting everyone. im not trying to insult anyone but i believe that perhaps some of these people are older and possibly unable to see what we are seeing. lately ive been wondering why we need all of these distractions in our lives..

The Tv, movies and video games, dead end jobs to buy more pointless stuff that we dont need.. economic slavery.. very nicely put.

More and more people will open their eyes.. hopefully before it's to late.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kraig87]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I hope that nothing bad happens in the next few years, because things in my life are finally going great.

After working for ten years at university I finally completed my PhD this year in Journalism. It wasn't a very promising job market, but I managed to land a permanent position teaching at a university in England.

So, I get to teach a topic I am passionate about to students who are equally interested, the job has decent pay and great holiday time.

It was a super long and difficult struggle, but I guess my advice to young people wondering about what to do would be this:

-Read LOTS of books to educate yourself.

-Ditch your crummy job and go to the best college you can. Major in a topic you are interested in, which has real job prospects.

-Be prepared to work very very hard to get what you want, and don't expect it to fall from the sky.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kristobal

I dont mean to downplay your reply, but what exactly is it we are all suppose to be working towards?

I think alot of us are feeling kind of lost in this generation. We have no true purpose.. it's like we are just suppose to get an education, a job and then work for money to buy junk that serves no other purpose than to distract us from something else.

Does noone else feel this way?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by kraig87]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Good Mind for a young man.

This world is not my home, I am just passing through.

Here time is short, and eternity is fore ever, be sure you tackle the eternal question and the temporal will fall into place.

Something to think about.

Recon3

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I have many mixed feelings on the topic of 2012. I feel it may be the fulfillment of the prophecies told in the worlds ancient Holy Books. With many political movements toward conquering the middle east, or in otherwords, the state of isreal. Aswell as many personal changes I see in myself and in my friends and others around me.
I myself am very young(17) and I've noticed myself maturing rather quickly, as if everything I'm dealt is merely for learning and practising good in God's will. I've also noticed friends that would never listen to my ''conspiracies'' are starting to come around, searching for something, a meaning, aswell. Many of my family members would never even look at astrology books when I gave them. However, now I've noticed that they are coming around, and starting to inquire into these esoteric topics.
I think 2010 may be a transition period, one of learning, and where the truth comes out.

But now it's more or less impossible to ignore it, some people getting good from heart - clean souls that help, the others will get insane and endless egoistic, manic and materialistic.

this stuck out to me in the sense that I believe this to be a transition period, where the true nature of Good or Evil will come out.
In this system, I do feel a slave. However, at the sametime, I think everything happens for a reason, painful or not, and living in this time is a blessing...being so close to 2012 and experiencing the changes, spiritually effecting you physically. If you are awake to see these things come alive, in a world so materialistic, it really shows the strength of your mind's will, and your nature. Despite the destructive forces, I have had a lot of amazing experiences, and I have met many wonderful people who have helped me become more alive. I strongly believe that if we all came together and realized that this is truely a battle of Good and Evil, nothing more, than we could defeat this retched system, or Illuminati, as some, as well as I believe it to be.
Weather we all die together, or I die alone, I know my life goes on and so does everyone else's, I've effected their lives, and they've effected mine. We will come together again. However.. This 2 or 3 more years to live theory kind of scares me in the sense that I do not know if I should continue to work in this system and live my life working from the inside after going to school .. or if I should break out, stop attending institutions. I am just not sure if Im wasting my time, because if this world truely is finished in 2 years, I/WE have to get our # together quickly, I want to be surrounded by the people I love and can give love to.. not wasting my time.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Finaly realised that freedom is an illusion. I started to realize this when i was your age. Whether you like it or not you have to play the game.

I made sure that i work for myself. That way i dont really feel like a slave.
I dont borrow any money from banks or any other Government associated facility. They aint owning me that way. I'm Going to buy my house in full strait up, lock stock the whole nine yards. No mortgage for me. They've got me on insurance but if i hit hard times. I may just have an accidental fire.

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Just because your born in to it. Does'nt mean you have to be a willing participent. Just find those little freedoms where you can and hold on to them. You are master of your own destiny my friend.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You have to realize that you have two problems, the firstinvolves the question, what career should you pursue, the second, is this system stable
I had the same feeling forty years ago about: I don't really think I can do this and what's it all for anyway. But today on top of that you've got: This world is going over a cliff, what the blankety blank is going on, and how the blankety blank am I going to survive.
My son became a computer programer because that was THE career then, then it got out sourced. People made fortunes just with their stock options, but somebody passed a law against it. Also computer programmers put hours and hours into their work, then somebody passed a law they every minute has to be counted and paid, then programing was just too expensive.
You don't know which way the world is going to go. Are we all going to get rounded up and gassed to death in Fema camps by the powers that be. We don't know! It's possible. The more you investigate what has happened in politics these past few years the worse it gets.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh to be 19 again. I am 40 and have been part of the rat race for over 20 years now. The problem is that this is the system we live in.

If you want a family and a nice home, vehicle and some cool stuff to entertain yourself then you have to play the game. Wake-up, go to work, come home, eat and sleep. Repeat over and over and over again until you retire or croak. You just get used to it I guess.

When I was your age I tried to live outside the system but I eventually gave up and allowed myself to be assimilated into the collective. Simply put I was tired of being broke and wanted a better life.

Life is what you make of it. I don't take it all too seriously and have as much fun as I can. I am pretty tired of it all to be honest but the alternative is worse. Having no money in our society makes for a miserable life. When my child is grown and on her own I will consider going off grid and out of the system again.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kraig87

That is exactly how I feel =)

It isn't that I am lazy or refuse to do anything. I am willing to help out in any way I can, I love everyone and would do anything in my power to help if someone was in need. However, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of working my entire life for material things which I place no value in.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by chuckk

Sorry Kid, welcome to reality. My teenagers can't stop playing video games thinking that this game is teaching them strategy. One wants to be an engineer but shows no interest in science or mechanical devices.

While I certainly respect your views I just felt the need to point out that gaming is not a complete waste of time as you may think. There have been quite a few studies which show the positive affects of gaming. See links for some of them

play.tm...

scienceblogs.com...

This generation is lost, they believe that good times is coming their way just for existing. They think that someone (the government) will take care of them instead of realizing the government is the problem.

Hey no fair - my generation were the lost ones, I am a bonified Generation X victim - oh wait my parents generations were the lost ones
Anyway my point is that each generation blames the one which precedes it for their failings and will eventually claim that the next generation are lost e.t.c. it is a common rhetoric.

Anyway - comments over. Now for my views on this topic (before I get off topic'ed

I am very undecided on exactly what I think and I will attempt to explain.
We are constantly going through change, in fact the last hundred years have changed at a much greater rate than the preceding 100 years, hell when I was young watching Star Trek it was "futuristic" to use a wireless handheld device to communicate with someone else
(by the way I am ONLY 35 years young)

Make no mistake - the world is going GREEN in it's thinking, this too is change - change does not need to be destruction or anything negative - it could mean that in 2012 an agreement is reached whereby all countries unanimously agree to a new "green earth deal".
Having said that it could be something so insignificant that no one will pay attention to but will spark a world wide revolution (think skynet).

But you know the fact is that things are happening daily which ultimately change the world so to say 1 date is special I am not sure. It makes for something to look forward to though.

Now why do I doubt my own logic - well because ALL preceding civilizations assumed that they would continue indefinately and NONE did - what makes us so special? One Astroid, Mega-Volcano e.t.c. and ALL of this ends instantly!

Could this actually happen - you bet ya it can and the odds say that it will.

Incidently I highly recommend reading "2012 by Daniel Pinchbeck" www.2012thebook.com... - it is not what you think in that it is more philosophy than scaremongaring.

One thing struck me, he takes the relative length of the ages as they occured (Ice Age, Stone Age, Iron Age.....Industrial Age, Information Age e.t.c.) and using the rate of which they have shortened he calculates that the Nano Age could last only minutes (he does not claimt his to be HIS theory though and does quote the person who's theory this belongs to).
The following link is entitled "The coming of the Nano Age" www.eurekalert.org...

Maybe this is how it will end?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
S+F

Good thread
I know and feel the same as you do even tho im almost 38.

I feel we will be asking the same old questions in 2012. We are trapped in a loop of fear and depression. Its the same old cycle that is put in place to keep us in place.

[edit on 7/1/10 by Ezappa]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Crymouth

The problem is we have lousy leaders, and I am not talking about just america, I am talking about almost every government on earth. They get into power primarily to serve themselves and then give us a few bones just to keep us working and happy. Happy slaves make good slaves!

Dig a little deeper and you will eventually see everything is rigged one way or another to keep us confused and off-guard. Everyone likes to blame money, but money itself is not the issue, its the way money is being issued and how economies are structured around it. Too complex to explain everything so i'll keep it simple: Maximum profit through high turnover! They want inferior goods so people keep buying and buying and buying. Then marketing companies take-over and entise you to buy things you can't even afford. Next thing you realise is either you work 50 hours a week to pay bills or you default and go live in some run-down appartment.

The system is sick, not the people! Materialistic greed combined with a false-sense of security said materialism provides. Learn to want less and also learn to live with less. Banks love when people over-extend themselves so they can charge you interest on your outstanding principle. I am not saying you shouldn't borrow at all, just make sure you avoid borrowing unless it's necessary or really useful for you to borrow. For example you don't need 5 pair of shoes..2-3 are plenty!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What happens in 2012?

My guess is many things will be going on, and in conjunction will cause total chaos:
WWIII - Starting w/ Iran & Russia moving on Israel
Mars thrown off its orbit by a rouge Kuiper Belt Object-
MAJOR Earth Changes result
Collapse of the worlds Fiat Currency's
Creation of the New Wolrd Government
Creation of a new World Currency (Already drawn up as we speak)
LHC opens a Star Gate
The Great REVEALING

Here is the USA:
Martial Law
Net Neutrality
Dis-arming of the Citizens

Or Nothing will happen and we will Party like its 1999. I don't think so though.
When all this goes down, we won't have a chance to talk to all the naysayers. There will be too much going on.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join