It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we really do "this" any longer?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+103 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I have no clue what the future may bring. Inside, I am feeling quite jittery about 2010. I feel as if something is bound to happen soon. However, I know that hoping and wishing for something or another to occur to change things is unproductive, and by all means seriously lazy.

What I do know and understand is that we can not do "this" any longer. We just can not. I am 19, and when I look towards to future....I just can not see myself grinding the nine to five working for a materialistic lifestyle. I just can not see myself doing it. It is, and by my best guess economic slavery. I live in the US, and while I enjoy many freedoms, it still baffles me that I...we, are trapped within this cycle of work, sleep, work and sleep. We toil day in and day out, and for what? A retirement? Are we going to finally enjoy ourselves once we reach a ripe old age of 65? Does this not strike anyone else as odd?

The people, they are, by my best guess becoming more and more callous to reality. We are becoming more and more fond of this illusion of society as it is now. We are more willing to accept what comes towards us from the higher ups. We are becoming grateful for the few little scraps that we receive. The illusion is becoming our reality.

Something inside me says it is going to change, and it is going to be a large scale change that shocks absolutely everyone. However, I doubt...I doubt....and when I do doubt I see myself working until 65 missing out on the full wonders of the true reality.
I am frightened by this. Its hard for anyone to admit to this without sounding like a loon.

I do not see 2012 as a saving grace....I do not see it as a must. I just understand that we can not do "this" any longer. We can no longer be bound in the manner that we are. We can no longer sit back and accept all given to us. This system is crumbling, and though we can not see it the change will come.

So I ask you:
What do you see occurring in 2012? Be honest. Tell me what you believe may happen, and tell me what you want to happen. Be honest, this is a friendly area. All answers are welcome.

What do I see? I see secrets of old being revealed. I see many nations attempting to take the lead in these "new" systems of energy production that will become common knowledge. I see somethings being leaked that a lot of people are not ready for. I see the beginning of the post industrial society, one in which machines become the industry and create for the people. I see people starting to learn how connected they are to one another and the universe at whole. I see hope.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Wonderfully written. And I understand exactly what you mean.

For the majority of folks in the US, I think economic slavery is a GREAT term for it.

Sounds to me like you are searching for the meaning in life...something I've looked for a long time. I think I'm starting to find the answer, at least for myself, somewhat. I also believe that meaning is something we all must find for ourselves.

Some find meaning in their work, others in relationships. Some really strange folk find meaning in conspiracy websites, but probably not anyone you know

I've often thought lately that the status quo must change somehow. I don't know if its going to occur on a world-wide scale, as some 2012 conspiracies claim, or if it must take place individually. But many, many people are searching for that meaning in life, trying to find purpose in existence.

Great thread....very well written.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

It's a time of extreme polarisations. All will come on the surface. What you feel, making you nervous and thinking "something is missing" has to do with the rising earth resonance frequency. I rises since years, i can feel it also for many years. But now it's more or less impossible to ignore it, some people getting good from heart - clean souls that help, the others will get insane and endless egoistic, manic and materialistic. Nobody can hide his real entity.

if you let now the good happen, be a good person, act etic. try be a bit altruistic, learn to give. And all will come to a good "end" for you. It's not a end - I'ts a beginning who are ready wake up and begin to love and forgive.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by cushycrux]

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
My thoughts and feelings exactly. I'm 19 as well. Every adult I encountered in my life has said the same thing.

"You are young, we all felt like that but eventually you grow up."

What equates to growing up? Unnecessary responsibility? The new car, the better college, the lazier desk job? "Things happen" is a popular response too. I think that is wrong.

All our lives (our generation that is TheOneElectric) we have been told to do
better, to question, to think outside the box. Where has it gotten us? Unhappy and unwilling to become the sad adults we have seen our parents grow into, grinding away at their job and trying to live in between paychecks. The system made us question, now the system wants us back. I for one, refuse.

This is where is always ends though, because no one knows where to start. You and I may feel like this but what can we do about it? It's like we are standing in a dark room waiting for someone to hit the switch and turn on the lights. One of us will eventually do it, maybe, but until then we are stuck wishing for something better.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
This is the year when people start to wake up. People will relize that this so called life we live is not for us. 2012 might be nothing or something nobody knows for sure but it does seem like this world needs to begin anew we can not keep living like this. 2012 is going to be a major change in the way we live we might be thrown back 150 years with no power.

The way things are going it seems like the world is coming to a end. Like you i think 2010 is a very important year for this may be the begining of the end.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution

"You are young, we all felt like that but eventually you grow up."

Grow up! Just kidding, but in all seriousness; growing up occurs when the conditioning finally sticks and you're willing to conform. It equates to the domestication of a wild animal. You grow up when you've finally become tame.

You'll get there. I promise.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i really cant see anything happening in 2012. iv always had an odd feeling societys tinkering on the edge of collapsing. but the fact is thers so much hype about 2012 anything that might happen then is most likly going to be so finely watched that that it just wont be allowed to occur.

what annoys me greatly are these stories years old now telling of how wel be able to see planet x by now in 2010 and well all know the truth. has anyone seen it? i havent. lets be fair plannet x is going to have to travel pretty fast to get to us in time for 2012 taking into account that its still not visible. i wonder how stupid the people writing this will feel by 2011 december when infact there is still no sign of it.

what annoys me to no end, causing me to endure a bad mood for a full day upon reading, are the people advertising extremist religeon through the use of fearmongery in conjuction with the 2012 event. furthermore these same people are making outrageous religeous claims of aliens being demons. MY GOD PEOPLE ARE U INSANE. if the only way your rediculous cult can get followers is by the terrorising of inocent currious readers i think its time to call it a day. I just wish i could round you all up in a hall for the 2012 countdown at new years eve in a hall, and broadcast how stupid you all look when its been and gone. i simply pity you what a waste of life.

very slightly sidetracked there sorry. as for 2012 i dont expect anything extrodinary, im guessing the smallest change in the economy poitics ect all the 2012 extremists will go OOOO its the beggining, no its just the nature of society, always changing. i have a feeling a huge world war is on the cards soon however no correlation to 2012

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The bottom line is nobody here gets out alive.

Does it really matter if you die alone or in a mass extinction?

You wind up dead either way.

I'm just doing my best to remember not to be angry or hateful when my time comes, whenever and however that may be.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
The bottom line is nobody here gets out alive.

Does it really matter if you die alone or in a mass extinction?

You wind up dead either way.

I'm just doing my best to remember not to be angry or hateful when my time comes, whenever and however that may be.

I thing you need a real lovely ****>*hugging*

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I see the inhabitants of the earth long gone before 2012.

Who knows why.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The statement you said of the same cycle work,sleep,work and sleep. It's true, it feels like being a slave to the economics of today, having to just bare through it all.
Really it does suck, but what can be done? I for one do not know the answer to that, I wish I knew.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Flag to you, I don`t know how to star though.

It`s good that you are 19 and saying this, (both of the 19 yr olds in the thread).

I was worried that perhaps the illusion had become so thick that the slightly younger generation than me (I`m 29) wouldn`t bother to question it as there was enough entertainment to distract.

I feel 2010 is going to see the world go completely stupid, like, really really insane. I think stuff is going to happen that will make even the most "tame" of our species stop and say "hold on, is someone having a laugh here". I really do.

I think it`s going to be intense, but if you can step outside the box enough to stop fear being an issue (dont know if I`ll be able to) it should be thoroughly exciting.

Namaste

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged!

This thread really hits home for me. I'm glad I found it. I have been talking to so many people about this feeling that I can't shake. Something BIG is about to happen. I don't know if it will take place before, during or after 2012, but it's certainly on the "horizon".

I personally don't think it will be mass extinction though. I think it will be mass evolution of the mind. A sudden change in intelligence. Or thought. Not sure exactly. But I feel it will be huge and I want to be a part of it.

I applaud you for being open, and determined to not conform. I think even if you were willing, you would find yourself unhappy and stepping out anyway. I have tried repeatedly to just blend in due to a lack of anything else working. But something deep within me won't allow it. I constantly fall out of step and find myself in a daze. Angry for ever having tried to be like "them".

We'll see what happens. I don't think we'll have to wait long.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I oscillate between thinking something major is coming and thinking that nothing major is coming.

I do think we are at the beginning of a new paradigm shift but wont guess directly at what it may be, it may be a scientific breakthrough or a disclousre, or the collapse of the system due to destruction and on and on.

I hope that we are evolving.

In response to feeling like you are an economic slave and that people tell you that you will grow out of it. That depends entirely on you. No one can tell you the way out of it but I advise you to read what you will, experience and feel what you will and find what is right for you. Find your peace in it all and be good.

Look for synchronicities and take care of you. Dont fret too much but its great that you are questioning. Never ever stop.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by starrryeyes]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I cannot agree with you more,

Its only work, sleep, work
as if the government meant us to be these no-life robots and just do all their work, no fun, no nothing. Pure boredom. But, for those people who take risks, LIKE WHAT LIFE IS MEANT TO BE, you won't be stuck in a cubicle working like a normal no-friend, no girl-friend, average joe guy.

I suggest
- Live life to the fullest
- Take risks
- Take days off

and even

-FLIP YOUR BOSS OFF

I was kidding about the last one but you get the point...RIGHT?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If we are truly on the precipice of some great occurrence, let us hope that we have some sort of control over what happens. We have, for too long, faced negativity and disaster. Its time for something bright and wonderful to touch us all.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric

So I ask you:
What do you see occurring in 2012? Be honest. Tell me what you believe may happen, and tell me what you want to happen. Be honest, this is a friendly area. All answers are welcome.

A new President for the U.S., that means another Republicrat. Maybe a couple of new wars will be instigated, if they are not already full blown by then. Economic turbulence is a given. Human desensitization and dehumanization through the media will continue. New 'world powers' will be fully recognized; China and Russia would have harnessed complete economic control over Europe, mainly through energy consumption requirements. Cold War alliances will continually be made and remade and proxy wars will continue in the Middle-East and Central Asia. Further legislation's will be passed, not only on a national scale, but on a global one, which will serve to diminish and constrict our personal freedoms. By then we will have begun a new era of bionic surveillance. Technology/entertainment will continually develop and evolve, keeping us indoors for the better part of our lives. Military complexes and industrial firms will have grappled a hold over government on a whole new level.

Have I missed something?

Man will be man, nothing new in 2012.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
For the OP and the other youngsters here: my advice is, go and live your life before you "grow up." Experience as many different things as you possibly can. Travel. Don't limit yourself early on.

The most important thing is -- don't get yourself into debt or any other dependency on the state or anyone else. Then take a few hundred dollars, buy a plane ticket to some country you've never been to, and explore. Tour Europe for six months to a year. Or go to Asia. Meet people, discover other mentalities, and learn all you can. Then come back (or not) and translate that excitement you've found into making a life for yourself in which you can follow your dreams. No one is forcing you to spend your life in a cubicle. Only you can kill your dreams by not having any. Keep dreaming, and believe that your dreams can come true. Make them so.

I lived a very regular if versatile life as a copywriter in advertising until I was 33. I had started working right after high school, and even though the job (or jobs, I had more than one) was great at first, after more than 10 years I just didn't want to run in the treadmill anymore.

So I got myself a visa, sold nearly everything I had and moved to Arizona, with two small boxes and two suitcases (and not a lot of money). I had no job, no prospects, and barely enough money to hold me over for three months. But I made it, and it was the happiest (though poorest) time of my life. I felt like I had finally spread my wings and was soaring.

After a year, I met my now-husband and love of my life. We lived the "freebird" life for 2.5 years and went back to a more normal lifestyle. Today we're married almost 9 years and have a lovely 6-year-old son. I'm employed again, with a very similar job as I had before, but I am much happier and more satisfied now. But without that period of free-wheelin' life in between, I don't think I'd be content with a "normal family life" like I have now. That's why I'm saying, break free for a while and follow your heart's desire. Then, when you settle down, you won't have any regrets or feel you missed out on something.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Nothing changes does it. Those are the same thoughts I had in the sixties and early seventies. Then it was the Vietnam War but all was the same.

I've got to say this so forgive me. You will change. Your views will change.

I love my job. I love coming in to my work every day. I love the fact I have no financial worries. I love the fact I built a business from the ground up.

What you need to know now is old and time worn yet true. Find something you love doing so much you would pay to do it and do that for a profession. Pay the dues right now while your young. Get a good education. Sucks I know, but it is true.

Ten years from now you will wake up one day and say; how did the older people suddenly get so smart?

Building a family and a career are very rewarding and if you do it working at things you love it is the best life you can have.

If you want to guarantee yourself a bad life. Forget school. Blame everyone but yourself for everything wrong in your life. Couch surf and live in your Parents basement until you hate each other. Leech of your friends who woke up young and created a good life for themselves until they hate you.

The world is no different now than ever. Everything your seeing and feeling has been repeating itself throughout history, over and over again. Every new generation feels just like you do now. Every generation thinks the same thoughts at your age. You are very normal.

Keep asking the questions but don't forget to listen to the answers. Make mistakes but learn from them. Work at something you love to do. Learn to do it well. You too will love your job and look forward to going in to work and coming to your home afterward. Later when your kids come up to you and say the same things you just said, smile, tell them what I just said to you knowing full well they don't believe you. They will remember when they get older and suddenly they will realize you were right.

When you meet your Soulmate, build a home and hold your child in your arms; it will all be clear. Until they become Teenagers and then you might have second thoughts for a moment, but only a moment.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is true, most of us had the same thoughts, when younger. I don't say all, because some are satisfied to remain in mediocrity. However, I will not say "grow up". I just say, you will find your own path.

What does change, with age, are your priorities. When we are young, our focus is on ourselves and how we can make things better, for ourselves. With age, comes the family and new responsibilities. Our focus becomes how to make things better for our families. Unfortunately, sometimes that leads to us ignoring the important things, in favor of the material. You want to work harder to provide your daughter with all the latest fashions, like her friends have. You want your son to have the best sports gear. You want to be able to afford for them to attend the college of their choice. You want them to have a reliable car, so they aren't stranded on the road to college.

These things, sometimes, cloud our judgment. The quest for them does take time away. Often, too much time. Before you know it, they are grown and you wonder where time got away from you.

So, I'm encouraged that you appear to recognize this and want to avoid it. My advice (which isn't worth much) is education, education, education! I know a lot of people (myself included) who regret not attaining a college education. No one has ever told me they regretted continuing their education. It opens so many doors that are, otherwise, are inaccessible.

(Enter Grumpy Old Man)

With that said, people today are required to work less than in the past, for the most part. Less than a hundred years ago, a work day was considered to be from sunrise to sunset. The work week was, at least, 6 days. At certain times of the year, work continued into the night and extended into the 7th day. There was no "retirement". You worked until you became, physically, unable to. Then, your children took care of you.

The great majority of those who are "overworked", do so voluntarily, with varied motivations.

The only secret is to find your own motivations, while being true to your values.

Good luck in your search.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by WTFover]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join