It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematically There is Zero Life in The Universe.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

That is always what I have maintained. Our galaxy boasts a million advanced and or intelligent races or civilizations, possibly more since we are actually colliding galaxies.

And even so, the chances of us being visited, even if they all were avid explorers, is once in ten thousand years.

Perhaps less, the above figure may apply best to interstellar migrations.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Lord and Savior

I have to say rubbish.

There is a lot of life in the universe.

Just because we do not observe it, that does not make it untrue.

What are we, God or some other creator?

We are probably the lowliest life in the universe, judging by our behaviour.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Actualy new scienetist of scientific america worked out the mathematics years ago and using mathematics it shows it's almost improbable that we are the only planet with life on it and that the chance of us being the only planet to have life is actually ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

Agreed, but this is not what this thread is saying! What the OP meant, is that no matter how many other life forms exist in the universe, it has to be a finite number. Compared to the infinity of galaxies and planets out there (not to mention -if they exist that is- parallel universes), the planets containing life are close to zero. Mathematically (as I said in my previous post of this thread) the number is zero. (careful, this doesn't mean that life does not exist, it is just a statistical and mathematical representation).

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alasian

I think infinite is what everything is about, and if mathematics and science say finite, then I have to disagree.

Maybe mathematics and science still have a lot to learn?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Mathematically there is just one life. And that is existence "1". "One" is consistent to the present time. To the present change (expansion).

Existence consists of many different types of life. Its the amount from Zero to 1.

My thought is. Was there life while everything was being compressed into existence "1". Or is life as we know it occurring because of the expansion in energy and matter after it was created by compression. What we see to day is 1 expanding back to what it used to be.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is why I get so frustrated with ATS. Someone posts a very witty comment by a very talented author poking fun at our position in the universe, and it degrades into people saying they "know" life exists elsewhere, or that the OP is all kinds of wrong.

Why don't people read any more? This whole thread should have been a witty celebration of Science Fiction and the fleeting nature of life. But no, it's insanity.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Lord and Savior
...If we are to believe that Planet Earth is the only planet with life on it, intelligent or not (which many people still do) then by rounding off to the nearest whole number which would be rounding down, we we would be forced to arrive at zero.

some people may feel that Earth is the only place with life in the universe, but most educated people understand the size of the universe and the sheer numbers of stars involved probably means that life exists elsewhere.

There is a bigger debate, however, as to whether or not that life is visiting the Earth.

Originally posted by Alasian
reply to post by DaRAGE

Agreed, but this is not what this thread is saying! What the OP meant, is that no matter how many other life forms exist in the universe, it has to be a finite number. Compared to the infinity of galaxies and planets out there (not to mention -if they exist that is- parallel universes), the planets containing life are close to zero. Mathematically (as I said in my previous post of this thread) the number is zero. (careful, this doesn't mean that life does not exist, it is just a statistical and mathematical representation).

Exactly. People are misunderstanding the OP's reasoning.

As he pointed out in his quote from Douglas Adams:
"...Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero..."

This is mathematically true, albeit misleading.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Hello there!
its my first post,or replay so be gentle!Just i think it about few days ago that basicly is possible to calculate Adam & Eve and all of us and even location?Just calculate clockways back!Just an idea and english is not my mother language so dont look the errors okei!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ekiusa

I am overseeing the grammatical errors as you requested, but I don't understand what you mean by "calculate Adam&Eve". Those guys weren't calculatable... Did you mean calculate how far back that story goes?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Ohhh never mind, I give up!! Is there a way to cancel your membeship here? Off to SHTF.com.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Alasian

Imeen exactly Adam & Eve because they are the figures,but what i really meen is that we have the possibility to calculate back all human raceif we use the available data and calculate all possibilites back including wars and cases of that time,we have the possibility to use data where poeple live that time and ofcourse guessing!I think result maybe be intrestenging and i like to remind math was not my strongest area!I have now a son 16y who is very much interested at physics!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

turn your computer off!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Alasian

Ijust have very hard to belive myself that our mams and dads was the monkeys,right know i see maybe the opposite evolution,some personas allready act like monkeys!(in spanish monkey is the mono)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
There is someone that traced DNA through history and location
and found the oldest un adulterated DNA in India.
This was a PBS TV special.
That is a calculation of sorts.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Greetings, I am the counterpart of Alpha in the Cosmos or whatever you may call it, and in itsself is life ((fool), Insertion without brackets needs revising))

No condoning or disrespect intended as we are all one in the dance up/down the stream of life...

Yet how can you disregard that we live upon an existing lifeform as we call Earth and there are, as you stated, millions of planets, stars, are these not in themselves, life?

Oh and just for you, there are many dimensions above and below phisicality in the 'Creation'

Hence you have been proven wrong!!!

KAPOW

BTW this is my first post, hopefully i can start a great thread in the near future.

Omega

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ekiusa

Second reply/post here from Omega,

Adam/Eve-Male/female Aspects of life, if you wanna find out the origin, study the age of the cosmos and what was before that...Billions of years much?
Life only exists with its polarity, hence opposites of everything in life, this is the myth of the A and E...people/beings confused us with the existance of them with people...

If you want me to go in depth, dont hesitate to allow it...

Omega

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

Thats exactly what i meen and think!Probabilty when the first humans appear in here,i dont believe inDarwin theory,to easy!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Alasian

Where are you getting infinite from? Are you saying that there is an infinite amount of mass in the universe?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monts

Originally posted by kommunist
I am not sure how you came up with this theory.

I would think it would be the opposite!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by kommunist]

Agreed.

As far as I am concerned... life on this planet, both intelligent and non-intelligent, is proof enough that there is the same elsewhere.

I tend to agree with you mate. We are such a small spec on a universal scale. I say, if there is life on this planet...and intelligent life at that, it should be almost 100% certain that in an INFINITE Universe, there is intelligent life somewhere else. I have no doubt about this. If common sense prevails, this would be pretty clear and obvious Q&A to anyone.

That equasion is flawed in any case.
Senario:

1. There is an infinite amount of space
2. Therefore there are an infinite amount of stars
3. Therefore there are an infinite amount of planets
4. Sure all these planets are not earth-like BUT if space is never ending, and planet numbers are never ending, that means earthlike planets are also actually never ending, because everything else is.
So I think that equation flawed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join