It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematically There is Zero Life in The Universe.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I know what he did , He did no Math at all but round a fraction down to 0.
He uses the assumption that there is no life of any kind other then earth then round down.

No I am not joking ... this is what he did

I have no idea what he was trying to prove ... not the probability of life in Universe because starting with the 1 out of any number then rounding down will always be 0. ..

1/37555 =0.000026627612834509387 ↓=0
1/543 = 0.001841620626151013 ↓ =0

[edit on 6-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

It's satirical...
It's not supposed to make sense.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What? Does life exist in the universe, well i know im here not sure about anything else so doesn't that mathematically make it 100% and rounding off existance to non-existent wouldn't that place a flaw in the equation.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Are you sure ?

His second posts makes me think he really was trying to mathematically figure out the probability of life on another planet using the assumption Earth is the only planet with life.

If this his post is a level I completely fail

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Isn't it funny how there are thousands of life forms some very inelegant right here on this planet, and how we as mankind are so ignorant to them that we don't include them in the equation for life in the universe. I wonder even if we were to find other life outside our planet, if they would be the slightest bit interested in a primitive, aggressive species such as ours, of if they would go for an ant colony? Just a thought there.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If the numerator of a fraction is non-zero and the denominator is non-zero and non-infinite, the resultant conversion to a real number (regardless of base numbering system) is also non-zero. i.e.: 1/10^5000 is non-zero. If you restrict your bounds by introducing an arbitrary point of rounding, you are creating an assumption and you also introduce a margin of error. The margin of error will make the number != 0 under all circumstances other than if the margin of error is inaccurately assumed to be zero.

And for comparison, assume another planet in the Universe inhabited with 600*10^100000000 black people, yes it's a very large planet
, and 1 white person. By your math, white people don't exist. However anomolous though, the white person does exist. But then again, according to the math, neither would the black people exist for that matter.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Yeah, I am pretty sure it's satire.

Originally posted by The Lord and Savior

If we are to believe that Planet Earth is the only planet with life on it, intellegent or not(which many people still do) then by rounding off to the nearest whole number which would be rounding down, we we would be forced to arrive at zero.

There is ZERO life in the universe...this means you!!!

It's sarcastic satire, but satire nonetheless.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Yeah your most likely right, but this is the internet so I am holding %14 chance this is crazy bad math.

*sigh* I hate getting leveled

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

Well, that's a draw back to the internet. On the internet, you can't be certain that a person is being serious or just facetious.

To me, the OP is simulating the fuzzy "logic" of someone who would claim that there is no life in the universe.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Lord and Savior

OK, let's check that math... Let's just say, using your numbers, that there are 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the Universe... Now lets say that there is only a one in a billion chance that a star has a planet in the 'habitable' zone that can support life. That would mean that 50,000,000,000,000 stars have a planet capable of supporting life. Now let's say that there is a one in a billion chance that life occurs where the conditions are favorable. That would mean that there are 50,000 planets out there with life on them.

So where the blue hell did you get zero from???

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Some of you have no sense of humor at all!!!
:lmao:
IT'S A JOKE, PEOPLE!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I will drop it to %4 chance this is crazy bad math now

Pretty sick level, I give you a B+.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nophun

I just find it funny that people are putting so much effort into proving something wrong that wasn't intended to be right. I could be wrong, but it looks like a complete joke to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The mathematics used by the OP are not conducive to a probability problem. In mathematics we say that an event (A) is either going to happen (1), or not going to happen (0). Probability falls in between, no matter how small. This does not mean that a event that is (1) is guaranteed to happen nor does it mean that an event (0) will not happen. In mathematics it's the concept of "almost surely". This is used for infinite numbers (like the universe) in probability.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by nophun

It took me a second (maybe third) read to realize what he is saying is not even bad math, and it is a obvious dig at people that believe there is no other life outside earth

I guess it is our nature to correct what we know/think is wrong.

Edit:
You got me agreeing with you this is obv. level LOL you better be right

Obvious level? ... or worst math/logic ever ?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by nophun]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Using your argument, mathematically there is zero anything in the universe.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The original post was quoting Douglas Adams from "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which is full of these wonderful quips about the nature of the universe, and our place within it.

He's basically saying that statistically there is no life, as the universe is infinitely big, and life, while possibly abundant, isn't everywhere.

It's satire. A joke. And possibly the most fantastically self-deprecating observation ever made.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Actually, mathematically speaking (as the thread's title states), the equation DOES equal zero. Here's the explanation.

Planets of all forms (with and without life) = infinite.
Planets with life = finite. If we say that only earth counts, then = 1.

If we want to find the ratio for this relationship, we could say:

(Planets with life) / (Planets of all forms)

=> 1 / oo.

= 0.0000000000000000000000000...~...0000000000000000000000000001

which in all mathematical truth equals to ABSOLUTE ZERO.

-The reason is this: for any 2 numbers to be different, an infinite amount of point has to separate them. For instance, 1.9 and 2.0 are two different numbers because you can have 1.99 between them, and 1.999 after that.

-If though, we take the case of 1.9999999999~ , there is actually no point between that number and the number 2!!! So 1.9999~ = 2 !!!

-So 0.00000000~0000001 = 0 !!!

This is correct, you can feel free to ask any mathematics professor to confirm it.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The mathematical impossibility of life, yet we exist.

or perhaps
I Don't Live Today
Oh, there ain't no life no where

Promoters of the ET take note, it only works for Spielberg
and the movies.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Relax people there is life in the Universe other than our piss ant blue marble that we live on. The point is, people who will insist that there is no other life in the universe will necessarily have to admit that THEY don't exist.

According to quantum physics we may not exist anyway nor anything else for that matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join