It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 year old UK article: Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I've found this article while browsing the net. In it the author claims that because of global warming, snowy winters in the U.K. would be a thing of the past. There would be no more playing in the snow in England, no more snowmen etc...

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

www.independent.co.uk...

What's hilarious is that several people have found the article and have made their comments about it, making it probably one of the most embarrassing articles ever made on that news site.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
IT was. up to maybe the past few years theres been hardly any snow. then 2 years ago it started snowed from march til april.
Now its just like BAM!
you gotta remember through. because of where the uk is. global warming will make it colder. as if our weather cant get any more #e as it already is

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
pssst, beware the memory hole

i once ran into that problem in 2006

www.abovetopsecret.com...

interestingly, the link in question has re-appeared by now. my conclusion is that a whole bunch of people really are spending their entire time on the job following referrers - the mind boggles!

just fyi: in my area, they predicted drought, so severe that major rivers should have dried up in summer. guess what we got? yep, flooding, what else?

it doesn't stop there, of course, the more the close their eyes the goofier it all gets....

[edit on 2010.1.6 by Long Lance]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Heavy snow will return occasionally, says Dr Viner, but when it does we will be unprepared. "We're really going to get caught out. Snow will probably cause chaos in 20 years time," he said.

Silly scientist, how ridiculous. Predictions were dreadful, he was 10 years long.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

www.independent.co.uk...

What's hilarious is that several people have found the article and have made their comments about it, making it probably one of the most embarrassing articles ever made on that news site.

Oh I think the 'Independent' (Is that an oxymoron?) could yield a few more embarrassing articles along with their towing the Global Media line articles?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
one of the most important tests for validating a scientific theory is predictability.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz
IT was. up to maybe the past few years theres been hardly any snow. then 2 years ago it started snowed from march til april.
Now its just like BAM!
you gotta remember through. because of where the uk is. global warming will make it colder. as if our weather cant get any more #e as it already is

Now now please don't confuse the poor skeptics.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdebz

Gotta remember also that the Global Warming scammers now call it "Climate Change".....perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the climate is ALWAYS changing....

The climate will continue changing, sometimes towards cooling periods, sometimes towards warming periods.... it is the way it is, and the fact that CLIMATE CHANGE is what is occurring, and the fact that the GLobal Warming scammers had to change it's name to Climate Change also shows what this truly is.... Atmospheric CO2 has NOTHING to do with it.... In fact it has been demonstrated many times that higher levels of atmospheric CO2 are benefitial for the Earth, the flora, and fauna of Earth, and of course to mankind...

It is time for the Anthropogenic Global Warming SCAM to end.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

Now now please don't confuse the poor skeptics.

Naa... we are not the confused ones, you are... Atmospheric CO2 causes WARMING...no wait it causes COOLING...no wait it causes WARMING....no wait it causes WARMING, and then it causes COOLING, and then WARMING, and so on, and so forth.....

You people have been confusing NATURAL Climate Change with the scam you have come to see as a religion, and you don't want to see it dead, even though your higher priests have been shown to have lied, to have rigged the data, and the programs. They even talked about changing the peer-reviewed process if necessary to keep their SCAM alive, and to discredit anyone and everyone who DARES to doubt your religion. They even talked about using any legal, and illegal ways to keep people in the dark, and not allow them to get information through the FOIA...among the other tactics they have used...

About a week after we found out the leaked emails we found out that your higher priests threw away most of the raw data of the past 150 years which could have helped with the investigations, and you STILL want to believe them?....

So, who are the confused ones?....

[edited for errors]

[edit on 6-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Look up all ya the dimming planes are spraying daily---i bet they were not when these statements were made. Look up you guys--out of your homes and look up--they are dimming with chem trails every day, even in winter here in n-wisconsin----its so funny how easly you doughters are when the planes fly everyday now--duh! ya its cooler---with hazed over skies every day what woulf you expect====I laugh my ass off at ignorance sometimes

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is great news. The masses are waking up to the fear mongering frauds perpetrated by sell-out scientists for hire.

The local morning disc jockey spent all morning joking about global warming. Another hot topic on ATS talks about parliment looking into the H1N1 fraud.

The 90s were warmer in washington, dc but people realize more and more that everything is being blown out of proportion.

The tide is turning against TPTB. They are getting desperate and looking more foolish. With all the 911 truth, the new energy, growing resentment of constant war, things are looking great.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Planes have been flying every day for years now... I guess it has something to do with the fact that there are more people who can afford to buy plane tickets... My parents just went back to Florida on a plane from Wyoming where we spent Christmas together. Actually, they had to take three different planes... Likewise there are literally millions of people flying everywhere frequently....

You just haven't been paying attention lately. I am not sure 100%, but I still think the whole chemtrail is nothing more than dropplets of water which are condensed at high altitutes in the air, and they mix with oil, and other chemicals used to treat the aircraft engines of the planes, and then these are bound to fall to the ground sometime.

Planes will always leave contrails as they gain altitute and vater vapor is condensed by the exhaust of aircraft engines.

Every picture i have seen where someone claims that some contrails are chemtrails are only taken AFTER the planes fly by, just so you don't see the contrails are being made by the exhaust of the aircraft.

Some contrails stay in the air longer than others, just like clouds do. That's what contrails are, man-made clouds.

I swear, the AGW fans will try to use any, and every excuse to keep their dead religion alive...

[edit on 6-1-2010 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

BTW...that article is from 2000...so yes there were MILLIONS of people flying frequently, just as there are now...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It's one of those 'win-win' situations for GW scientists and proponents.

Mild Winter?... put it down to global warming (earth retaining more heat due to man adding too much CO2 into atmosphere)

Severe Winter?... put it down to global warming (the gulf stream has shifted due to man adding too much CO2 into atmosphere)

I don't win Saturday's National Lottery?... put it down to global warming (I breathed out too often and affected the spin of the lottery machine)

Actually, I made the last one up

But everything is global warming's fault

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
How embarrassing for the Ziontists Scientists.

When will people realize that the majority of scientists that work for multi-million/multi-billion private corporations and are told what to distribute to the public for the convenience of a profit at the time of the information being released?

It is what they want the public to believe at that specific time.

Its like what we see on the dietary programs, brussel sprouts are good for you, then ten years later, brussel sprouts are known to cause cancer, then ten years later, brussel sprouts can prevent cancer. THEN, when the food is all GM food they say, "eat what you want"

Let me give you some advice, "Never listen to advice".

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

"Naa... we are not the confused ones, you are... Atmospheric CO2 causes WARMING...no wait it causes COOLING...no wait it causes WARMING....no wait it causes WARMING, and then it causes COOLING, and then WARMING, and so on, and so forth..... "

Haha, now I have to wipe the coffee of my screen lol

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i've coined my own term on the subject. i call the phenomenon "global worming".

i often wonder why we don't hear about all of our planets warming up in the solar system too.
hard to listen to debates when that's not brought into the argument. (just getting tired of getting primed for the carbon tax BS)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
Atmospheric CO2 causes WARMING...no wait it causes COOLING...no wait it causes WARMING....no wait it causes WARMING, and then it causes COOLING, and then WARMING, and so on, and so forth..... "

She my daughter! SLAP! She's my sister! SLAP! She my daughter! SLAP! She's my sister! SLAP! She's my sister and my daughter!!

Why don't the MMGW fanatics just take ALL positions? No more debates! By the way, which side is Jack Nicholson on?? Don't want to piss him off.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 1/7/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Thats the aim it seems... Get us all punch drunk with their so-called "facts" so we blindly accept their "expert" views on everything...... Good luck with that!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
its minus 12 here in the centre of Edinburgh, Scotland.
The River Clyde is freezing over.

I have never been this cold.

more snow and lower temps expected today

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join