It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Window cleaning chemical injected into fast food hamburger meat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't eat fast food anyway. I won't touch mcdonalds though I have to admit I do get a craving for wendy's on rare occasion. I used to work at a local suburban supermarket and we got fresh cows in all the time and butchered and ground the meat ourselves, don't know what chemicals they would have put in the meat before we got it though. I know we didn't spray any crazy chemicals on it though. And yeah, chemicals or no chemicals, people shouldn't eat fast food, that stuffs no good for anyone.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It is realyl crazy anymore, eating anything that you don't grow and make at home is like eating a chemistry set for breakfast, lunch and dinner..

From your coffee at the very popular coffee chain, to the quick hot "hamburger: you grb at lunch, to what ever you do for dinner.. if you didn't grow it and cook it yourself, who knows what you are eating..

Over the past few years for instance i have watched a steady increase in the number of cereal boxes that, under they carbohydrate section went from having Carbohydrates" and "suger" and "fiber" as the 3 items, to seeing a 4th "OTHER CARBOHYDRATES"... what in the world is "other" carboydrates..

Then you have things like High Fructose corn syrup, MSG, and countless others that do absolute horrors to your system, and they are everywhere.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, so I'm used to reading through the label of everything I'm buying.. counting carbs/sugers/etc is the game of chemistry we play on a daily basis..

What is creepy to consider: We are living guine-pigs for the following industries Pharma, FDA, and food manufacturers that are trying to cut corners to get ahead..

Chemicals and drugs are in everything from the air we breath, the water we drink, and the food we eat, to the drugs and injections we receieve from our Healthcare professionals.

Makes one wonder why we aren't dropping like flies with all the chemicals and drugs that are floating around in our bodies.

Humans, the new twinkies.. Shelf-life 200 years, suggested time to eat: before death.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Interesting note for the post above my orginal one above.

I went to a large chain supercenter store recently to see about getting some beef bones for a soup.. I was told by one of the butchers that they no longer dealt with the actual meat packaging, it all came in pre-packaged and frozen.

I'd been wondering about this because more then once i have picked up 93/7 ground beef off the shelf to find it frozen solid..

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Cygnis]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Thanks!
True, although it does contribute greatly to heart disease,
diabetes, obesity and arteriosclerosis.
Thanks again!
www.emedicinehealth.com...

Top 10 Causes of Death - US

#1. Diseases of Heart 28.5%

www.statisticstop10.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, I haven't read all the responses yet, but I have two key points regarding the OP:

1. I prefer Ammonia over Irradiation any day! NH4 is natually occuring, and it is alkaline in nature which actually benefits our bodies. Typically the human body prefers an alkaline environment, but the majority of what we eat causes it to skew to the acidic side, and this is not healthy!

2. Of course fast food ground beef is horrible! I grew up in the midwest, and I have a lot of buddies at the stock yards, and buyers for fast food restaurant and large food processing facilities that make frozen dinners and such will routinely by the "downer" cattle. You know, the cattle that can't stand up on their own, or are too sick, or too weak, or have been abused and broken!

Back home we often joked about the "Cancer Cows" that Taco Bell routinely buys up. Saddest part is that we still eat at Taco Bell!!

So, yes this is a little disconcerting to discuss, but it has been common knowledge for decades that meat processors do not waste any part of their merchandise! It isn't only Beef, it is also Chicken and Fish and everything else!

Where do you think Fish Flavoring comes from? Or Chicken Flavoring? Beaks, Feet, Nasty sucker and parasitic fish that get caught up in the nets! I have seen the guys at the dock put all their cleaned fish debris, the spines, heads, scales, etc., into a big barrel and sell it off as "fish parts!" They can still extract the oils and flavorings, and any other by-products that they may need!

"Imitation Crab" how about the cheapest possible white fish they can find, flavored with oil extracted from Crab shells!

Ammonia in my beef is hardly the most important discovery I will read today!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Finally some "good" news!

Thanks for the look-see anyway!

I am sure there are many things we are better off not knowing...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
LOL my posts usually are the end or close to the end of posts in which case i will tell all to stop eating anything you havnt grown yourself.
the end

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What exactly does ammonia do to humans?

What is the message of this thread?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir

Like any chemical, Strong concentrations of Ammonia can cause chemical burns, digestive problems, poisoning, and death.

The "window cleaners" that the OP speaks of like Windex are very weak Ammonia solutions. The Ammonia injected into beef probably dissipates and is not even present by the time it is consumed, and it certainly does not survive the cooking process, because it will evaporate quickly even at room temperature.

The MOST dangerous thing most people encounter with Ammonia is the unintentional mixing with Bleach. NH4 and HCL quickly react to form "Mustard Gas" and it is very harmful and even deadly. Many people are hospitalized every year because they mix their cleaners. (Usually they mix these cleaners in a small room like a bathroom and are overcome by the fumes.)

For the Second Question:
The point of the OP is to Sensationalize a headline and sell some newspapers, and continue to attract advertisers and get paid! Isn't that the purpose of all our McNews these days?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

Window cleaning chemical injected into fast food hamburger meat

What a shocker, huh?
More chemicals are found to be in your childs food?
Who would of suspected?
They must get kickbacks from big pharma!

If you're in the beef business, what do you do with all the extra cow parts and trimmings that have traditionally been sold off for use in pet food? You scrape them together into a pink mass, inject them with a chemical to kill the e.coli, and sell them to fast food restaurants to make into hamburgers.

That's what's been happening all across the USA with beef sold to McDonald's, Burger King, school lunches and other fast food restaurants, according to a New York Times article. The beef is injected with ammonia, a chemical commonly used in glass cleaning and window cleaning products.

www.naturalnews.com...

Wheres the beef?
Its getting "reprocessed".

And you get flagged for this and I've already posted this? Everyone has known about this if you watch the movie "FOOD, INC" locate my thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's the best movie exposing everything with the meat industry.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

Well, this OP and your movie are two different things, thus they deserve two different threads. And, many members, like myself, do not watch the videos associated with threads, and therefore, even though I visited your thread, I didn't give it a second thought because I couldn't see the video.

On another topic:
I saw this in the OP,

You can get the same effect by opening a can of dog food made with beef byproducts, spraying it with ammonia, and swallowing it. That is essentially what you're eating when you order a fast food burger.

This goes way beyond sensationalist journalism! This is an outright lie! Dogfood sprayed with Window cleaner is nothing resembling a fast-food burger???

Dogfood has very little beef at all! It does contain some beef by-products, especially the organ meat of beef. Mostly it is grains, fillers and chemical vitamin and digestive supplements.

Dry Dogfood is even further from beef, and it contains some harsh digestive chemicals that cause quite a diarhea in most humans! Ok, Ok, so does some fast food, but that is for an entirely different reason!

The article from the OP is pretty much all fluff and exaggeration. The problem with stupid articles like this is that our food processing industry has some real skeletons, and they have some real problems that should be address, but instead we get misleading blurbs and headlines that are easily proven false and all the real issues get swept under the rug!

How about the fact that the USDA had decided to not even test the beef? Just because a process is dependable doesn't mean that you stop testing it? That is a real issue to address! Who in the USDA thinks if you test something a few times, that you should just leave a "for-profit" company to its own devices for an extended period of time?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by DGFenrir

Like any chemical, Strong concentrations of Ammonia can cause chemical burns, digestive problems, poisoning, and death.

Water is a chemical substance too. It can kill under right conditions.
But I asked about ammonia.

[edit on 6/1/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I worked at McDonalds for awhile in the grill area, If you seen what that meat looked like going on and coming off the grill you would never eat fast food again.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DGFenrir

I thought I addressed your question. Concentrated Ammonia is a strong base and it is caustic. It will burn off flesh. The fumes or vapor can be harmful and cause breathing problems. Weak ammonia will have no effect on you unless you have a particular sensitivity to it.

It is different than water, because water is a very, very weak acid. Yes, water can harm you if you dilute your electrolytes too much, or if you inhale it in mass, or if it is frozen and hits you over the head, but common industrial strengths of ammonia will cause a lot of damage without any special circumstances.

It should be treated with the same cautions as Bleach or common acids, it will cause similar effects.

Here is a link if you prefer:

What is ammonia?
Ammonia is one of the most widely produced chemicals in the United States. In pure form, it is known as anhydrous ammonia. Ammonia is also produced in the human body and is commonly found in nature. It is essential in the body as a building block for making proteins and other complex molecules. In nature, ammonia occurs in soil from bacterial processes. It is also produced when plants, animals and animal wastes decay.
How does ammonia act in the body?
When ammonia enters the body as a result of breathing, swallowing or skin contact, it reacts with water to produce ammonium hydroxide. This chemical is very corrosive and damages cells in the body on contact.

www.health.state.ny.us...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Stop being such a pussy, In my day we used to drink ammonia straight out of a bottle and spray windex on open wounds.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Thanks very much for the OP for bringing the story to our attention. I also looked up the original article in the New York times.

With very effective advertising campaigns from the big burger joints I thought the scary stories about their meat was all myths and urban legends. What I read in the New york times has left me feeling sick.

(Another interesting food note I picked up over the Christmas season was the new big fad coming our way will be camels milk and how amazing this is for you. It apparently contains much more vitamins and is much more healthy for us. The report then mentioned how camels cannot produce enough milk to make this commercially viable. However they have got over this stumbling block by gentically enginering the camel to produce an animal that will be commercially viable. The cameras were not allowed inside the building producing the milk because the process is so top secret. Gosh I can wait to get some! Every day I hear something even more insane than the day before.)

Peace.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Great - my diet involves 93/7 beef which I eat twice a day. That makes me sick! Good lord - the Corporate World has lost its marbles for profit and the faith of the consumer!

When did the consumer quit being of value, would they have any money at all if it wasn't for the consumer buying their product?

Is eating a privledge now as well? What are we - useless eaters?

Again - Good Lord!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I bet if you took a raw mcdonald's patty and tested it for ammonia in an unbiased lab, you'd find none of it.

There's more than just the FDA that test these things before they get on the market, such as state based health organizations. Trust me, I know, I worked at Carls JR and Dennys.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
mmmmm meat so good!
who cares if its got some chemicals in it, it has protien!
and b 17, cant forget aobut that, you NEED it to live .

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   

How does ammonia act in the body?
When ammonia enters the body as a result of breathing, swallowing or skin contact, it reacts with water to produce ammonium hydroxide. This chemical is very corrosive and damages cells in the body on contact.

www.health.state.ny.us...
Thanks for the link!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join