It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governer Race in Texas has a Hopeful New Canidate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Debra Medina

I just heard about her a few days ago. I went to an assembly last night to listen to what she has to say, and I was pretty amazed. She wants to elimenate property tax for one. Plus wants to protect gun ownership. And secure our border. Plus Ron Paul and her support eachother.

At the assembly, she spoke about going down to the Mexico/Texas border in Hudspeth County I belive. Anyways, she talked to the sheriff down there and he said that they have 9 bridges connecting the border that are currently not patrolled due to finances and lack of goverment. She asked what was needed to patrol them and the sheriff said he just needed only 75 men. Only 75 men. Currently there is 0. How hard is it for the goverment to send only 75 men?

Another subject she talked about was sovereignty of states. She supports state sovereginty and got into nullification and not having the fed jam stuff into states that the states dont want.

Theres more but Ill stop here. Shes also going to be in a debate pretty soon with other candidates if anyone wants to listen in

cbs11tv.com...

Alex Jones has even had some talk about her on his show.

Anyways, I just wanted to let fellow Texans know about her.

I just thought I would share this for

[edit on 6-1-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Eliminate property taxes??

You do know thats how California got into the situation its in now, don't you?

They got rid of property taxes ages ago and have been bleeding money ever since. Thats how they went broke.

So you think Texas should do the same? Property is cheap in Texas relative to other states, and therefore property taxes are pretty tame.

She sounds like a tool trying to come in and break things.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I dont really remember exactly how she was going to work around the issue but she said they are going to add the tax to a few other things. I dont really remember exactly all she said, tho. Im trying to find the video of the assembly last night but Im not sure if its out yet. The way she explained stuff was pretty awesome to me at the time. I just really wish I had that video.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Eliminate property tax? Sounds good, but it will never happen. That is a false platform...it would be outside of her ability as governor. If she was able to pull it off through the state legislators, then we would just get taxed somewhere else. Schools cost money. Police departments cost money. Fire departments cost money. City maintenance cost money (roads, parks, traffic lights, road signs, etc...)....and on...and on...and on.

for pointing out a candidate besides Rick Perry.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I dont really remember exactly how she was going to work around the issue but she said they are going to add the tax to a few other things. I dont really remember exactly all she said, tho. Im trying to find the video of the assembly last night but Im not sure if its out yet. The way she explained stuff was pretty awesome to me at the time. I just really wish I had that video.

Go to this website. It is an unaffiliated site (as far as I can tell) that covers all elections - state and federal - and the candidates involved. You can pull their voting records and their stand on the issues plus a lot of other information.

www.votesmart.org...

I'm in Texas also and had already checked her out some. I do believe she will get my support unless something comes out that is truly terrible.

edit: I just went back to the site and all the info about the upcoming elections is gone. There is some comment about the "filing date deadline". Hopefully it will be put back soon. I believe the adjustment in taxes was to be made up in sales taxes of some sort. The "pay if you buy" type.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by TXTriker]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Here is a better website for info on candidates.

www.politics1.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I listened to most of the first debate on the radio and I really was impressed with Medina.
Rick Perry and Kaye Bailey Hutchison were constantly attacking each other like petulant little children and Medina told it like it is.
She is a serious contender.
Originally, she was not going to participate in the next next Texas Republican gubernatorial debate because she did not meet the "criteria", but the sponsors eventually caved, most likely due to pressure from the Tea Party folks.

I really think she's got my vote!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
She has my vote. I don't trust the other candidates at all (Kaye and Rick). What I have been able to learn about Medina I like. Politics as usual will not cut it. Sovereignty is a big issue for me.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh Hell no... She has no experience and is Anti-American. She's no better than Rick Perry, a Tea Party wacko who has called for seccesion from the Union in the past.

I realize the Democrats are in the toilet right now but the best person for the job is former Houston Mayor Bill White. His record as Mayor is quite impressive, he balanced the budget, is unequaled at his ability to garner concensus with only 3 City Council voting defeats, and has tamed the city's horrible traffic problems.

Everyone is claiming that Medina is the "common man's" candidate for Gov. but I say she's a traitor to the Union. Anyone who calls for seccesion is anti-American, in fact you can't get much more anti-American than wanting to leave the Union.

I live in Texas but I am American first and a Texan 2nd. Plain and simple.

Bill White is the only good choice here. And don't give the old song and dance about how Dems will raise taxes in Texas either. All tax increases must be passed by public vote so political Party affiliation matters much less in Texas than it does in other states.

Seriously, Medina? But I suppose it's a good thing that she's in the race. She'll pull enough votes away from Hutchison and Perry to force a run-off. If the first GOP debate was any indication, a run-off would only prolong the mud slinging and give my man Bill a good shot...

[edit on 21-1-2010 by Anamnesis]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Sorry Ms. Medina is much to fat. Now that exGov. Palin has raised the bar for pulcratudinity for female politicos both local and federal. Only hot mama's will do now.

However Kinky works for me!!

[edit on 21-1-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

No dude, california has plenty of property taxes.

I know, I used to write the software that tracked and collected them.

California is in economic trouble because the democrats in power expanded government as fast as they possibly could during the housing bubble as tax revenues flooded in.

Now that the property market crashed, they don't have that huge stream of tax revenue flowing in. So the fat bloated government they created can't be sustained any longer.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Anamnesis

LOL

Anti-American?

Here's a woman that:

1. wants to eliminate property taxes and cut the government by a huge margin

2. wants vermont style gun laws, which means basically no gun laws

3. wants better border protection

4. wants to eliminate the welfare state

5. is in favor of nullifying unconstitutional federal laws and demanding state soveriengty under the 10th amendment

And you call her anti-american?

Are you nuts?

Perry has been pushing the Trans Texas corridor for a long time now under different guises, that's as anti-american as you can get.

Hutchison voted in favor of all the bailouts! She's a freaking democrat!

What are you smoking?

Oh, by the way, in case you missed the memo: America was founded out of secession.

[edit on 21-1-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Well she is new, thats what I can say when I tried to look up on what her issues were. Maybe conservative Texans will feel fresh voting her in, but she will nevertheless be another piece to the GOP.

I dont understand it, many members of campaign liberty have criticized the roles of both Democrats and Republicans, so why do candidates continue to align themselves to the GOP?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by Anamnesis

LOL

Anti-American?

Here's a woman that:

5. is in favor of nullifying unconstitutional federal laws and demanding state soveriengty under the 10th amendment

Politicians making promises is nothing new mnemeth. GOP politicians making promises is nothing new either.

America was founded out of secession.

It was also founded as a Union and this nation would be nowhere over history divided.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

LOL

Anti-American?

Here's a woman that:

Like we haven't heard this BS before. We don't pay state income tax already. She could never pull off a promise like that.

lol... You obviously don't live in a big city. Seriously man, think about that, Vermont compared to Texas. There's only 700,000 people in Vermont. I mean come on! That would be crazy to do here and anyone w/any sense knows that.

Well who doesn't??? The Feds control the border. Like it or not. Governors don't have much control over that but if they did you can rest assured that no matter who the Governor is it would be better controlled.

*sigh* So many people can't see beyond a few feet in front of them. I could argue against this one for days but I'll decline to get it to it with you.

State soveriengty is a myth. Are the soldiers in middle east fighting for Texas? or the US? Do you expect the Texas National guard to protect us from Nuclear attack or terrorist threat? Who pays for Texas Interstates?

If Texans want soveriengty, (and I think the majority does not) then stop taking Federal money first and the see how much "better off" you are.

And you call her anti-american?

Yep

Are you nuts?

Nope

Perry has been pushing the Trans Texas corridor for a long time now under different guises, that's as anti-american as you can get.

You're confused. He used the TTC to steal and he lied to do it. That's being a thief and a liar. When he talked about seccesion he was being Un-American. Why can't you understand that?

Hutchison voted in favor of all the bailouts! She's a freaking democrat!

I don't like her either.

What are you smoking?

Same thing everybody else here smokes.

Oh, by the way, in case you missed the memo: America was founded out of secession.

Oh by the way.. you take that snotty little attitude of your's and shove it.... that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say.

Before I leave this thread for good. I'd like to suggest to those who continue to think for themselves, to have a good look at Bill White. Please consider this man for Governor. He does not pander to the lowest common demoninator. I believe he will work for the good of Texas and all her people.

~peace

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
Eliminate property taxes??

You do know thats how California got into the situation its in now, don't you?

They got rid of property taxes ages ago and have been bleeding money ever since. Thats how they went broke.

So you think Texas should do the same? Property is cheap in Texas relative to other states, and therefore property taxes are pretty tame.

She sounds like a tool trying to come in and break things.

BS Calif property tax is 4 times higher then property tax in Texas.
I have lived in both states.

The problem in Calif is the state employee unions and the tree huggers that have killed business.

Here in Calif we plan to make the state legislator part time to keep the fruits and nut there from having time on there hands to dream up ways to spend our money.(texas has always had a part time legislator)

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Sure your tax is 4 times higher, because your properties are 4 times overvalued.

Prop 13 keeps your taxes capped at 1 percent of total cash value of your home.

So if you push the cash value of the home upwards, then the tax will be more.

If they would have left the taxes alone, California home prices wouldn't be sky high say compared to Texas.

See, one set of crooks tried to get out of paying taxes, but another set of crooks figured out a way around it. And all thats done, is create a dirty black hole slush fund for these crook politicians to play with.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anamnesis
I realize the Democrats are in the toilet right now but the best person for the job is former Houston Mayor Bill White. His record as Mayor is quite impressive, he balanced the budget, is unequaled at his ability to garner concensus with only 3 City Council voting defeats, and has tamed the city's horrible traffic problems.

I live in Texas but I am American first and a Texan 2nd. Plain and simple.

Bill White is the only good choice here. And don't give the old song and dance about how Dems will raise taxes in Texas either. All tax increases must be passed by public vote so political Party affiliation matters much less in Texas than it does in other states.
[edit on 21-1-2010 by Anamnesis]

Quote Shortened for length.

Bill White? The only good choice for the job to govern Texas?

Meanwhile, in Houston former mayor and now Democratic contender for governor Bill White has presided over the construction of what may be the world's largest abortion clinic. White bills himself as a moderate Democrat, but his administration allowed this 6-floor, 78,000 square foot facility to be built. Its location shows that it clearly markets its late-term abortion services to Houston's minority communities. And there's more to this awful story: White's director of Health Policy was one Elena Marks. Ms. Marks is (or was) also the Texas head of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Bill White's connection to this gigantic abortion mill is undeniable; he holds no claim to being a moderate Democrat.

Emphasis by me.

Here's the link to their new abortion mill .. World's Largest Abortion Clinic

New location:
4600 Gulf Freeway

6.1 acres
78,000 square feet
15 exam rooms
18 patient services rooms
9 check-in stations
44 Call Center stations
16 meeting rooms
Ambulatory Surgical Center
Research Laboratory
Education Center
Volunteer Center

We don't need this jackoff running Texas. Republican or Democrat - Anyone standing behind this and supporting this kind of crap has no business holding seat in any office with power.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I guess that's why running for governor was his second choice when Kaye wouldn't give up her senate seat to run for governor. I don't think someone that takes us as his second choice would be good for the state.

He did do a great job in Houston as mayor (although I would disagree on taming the traffic). But now it seems he just wants to be part of the big machine.

Edit to remove quote - messed up tags.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by TXTriker]

ETA - According to local news Channell 11 Medina is at 24% in the polls.

[edit on 2/9/2010 by TXTriker]

top topics

join