It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US scientists may have discovered key to defeating obesity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
rawstory.com...

Shutting down an energy-controlling mechanism in mice left them leaner than normal mice and could be a new way to fight obesity in humans, US researchers said in a study published Tuesday.

And the finding is big news in the United States, where around a third of the adult population is considered obese, meaning they have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30, according to the American Obesity Association.

BMI is calculated by dividing a person's body weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared.

The researchers found that by switching off potassium channels which are sensitive to adenosine triphosphate (ATP) -- a molecule in cells that stores the energy we need to do just about everything -- made mice burn more energy and left them leaner than normal mice.

I'm sure that's good news. God knows I could stand to lose a few pounds [about 25].....

My question is will or should this "switching off the potassium channel" replace the tried and true method of diet and exercise?

I'm starting a rigorus exercise and diet program..............tomorrow

In the mean time....."Hey Babe, could you get me another Bud Lite"

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The problem is that the human body is such a wonderful machine, very complicated and very delicate.

Anything that is man made and anything in the body that is tampered with by means of suppressing the body natural ways to regulate itself will bring a hoard of side effects and complications.

Now a days we Americans are living longer but no necessarily healthy thanks to the big pharma pill pushing.

I am glad that you are in a diet and exercise program that is the best way to fight many problems related to health.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The researchers found that by switching off potassium channels which are sensitive to adenosine triphosphate (ATP) -- a molecule in cells that stores the energy we need to do just about everything -- made mice burn more energy and left them leaner than normal mice.

I have no idea what that means.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

BMI is calculated by dividing a person's body weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared.

This isn't a good way to measure body composition. It neglects to take into account body composition, ie. muscle mass. A six foot tall male weighting 220lbs might have 8 percent body fat. While another six foot tall male might weigh 220 and be 30 percent body fat.

Sorry to derail, but a pet peeve.

Anyway, back on topic, I thought they already have found a way to defeat obesity? Wasn't it called diet, exercise, and willpower? Or is it they have found a way to defeat obesity in the LAZY?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I know that potassium channels control hart muscle function and also blood pressure like calcium channels does in the cells also.

We already have a blood pill call "calcium channel blockers" that are for the purpose of controlling blood pressure.

But this pills also create a arrange of hart health related issues that can destroy cells, this pills has been banned in the UK for that reason because people where having massive hart attacks, they still used in the US.

How do I know this? because I was on a calcium channel blocker until I research on the dangerous side effects.

So potassium is also another way to control hart function, how can this affect the hart I wonder.

The article is promoting eating fatty diets as usual while controlling the potassium channels so we can lose weight, this doesn't sound very healthy at all.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

I would like to know what clown woke up one morning with the big idea for a BMI and whether or not she ( no bloke would come up with it unless there was bi earner in it) based her findings on 154 randomly selected Ethiopians.

My mum was recently declared to be heading toward obesity according to her BMI. She is in her seventies for god sake five foot nothing and probably eats less than Marvin the chipmunk.

Who the hell devise these bloody standards for us and more importantly who checked they were correct?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Actually older people with higher cholesterol and fat are suppose to be healthier for them specially because cholesterol feeds the brain and the hart.

The big pharma hoax of trying to lower peoples cholesterol to dangerous numbers because it prevent a hart attack is nothing but money making scam.

If you mother is in her seventies in good health and good weight she is healthy regardless what big pharma and her doctor is telling.

Many elderly people has been forced into pills that they don't need and end up dying earlier than they should.

My father is 77 and he has healthy cholesterol and blood pressure (both are suppoused to be higher as we age) is very active and he is no overweight by any means, still his doctor wants him on blood pressure and statins, that along makes you wonder what in the heck the big pharma and their pocketed doctors are trying to do.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
it's not my diet and lifestyle that's wrong, it's clearly my body, damn this incremental evolution.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The "key" to defeating obesity is to eat less and do more.

It's not rocket science people,you need to consume less calories and know what/how to eat,it's science at the least and good sense at best!

Step away from the Wii, the video games,the processed and fast foods,nda go for a walk,to the gym,shoot some hoops,ANYTHING to get moving!

People seem to always be looking for that immediate gratification when it come to obesity: a pill to pop,some new "diet", and in extreme cases even surgery.They want some group of researchers to offer "hope" and some Dr. to write an RX for "something" to change their lives...

Even older people CAN absolutely gain muscle and mobility by controlled and consistant movement!

I teach fitness and have seen MANY and AMAZING changes in once "obese" people when they realize that no one can truly "help them"long-term but themselves.
No matter one's genetics or alleged "short-comings" in terms of health,you can make changes slowly!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by irishchic]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Exactly!!!! but did you read the entire OP, actually manipulating your potassium channel supposedly will make you lose weight, but it said very clear that it comes with a side effect,

One finding was that mice in whom the KATP channel had been switched off burned more glycogen -- the form in which carbohydrates are stored in the body and the primary source of energy for endurance athletes -- and stored body fat than ordinary mice.

That means that achieving greater leanness by deactivating KATP channels comes at the cost of reduced endurance.

You will be slimmer, no necessarily healthier as your energy levels will decrease.

We will become skinny couch potatoes, but how our mortality rate will be

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Thanks Marg, I understand now.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Interesting. When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be something simple like eat healthy and exercise

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If you were to lay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing your body simply running itself will burn 1200-1400 calories, so if your lifestyle is to do that simply eat 1000 calories a day.
Now you cant really survive off of 1000 calories a day thats why people walk move, EXCERCISE, the big secret is moderation. People seem to fear diets because it limits the food they can eat, which is true, but you dont have to swear off everything, if once in a while you feel like 30 wings and a bunch of beer go nuts, but few days after that you gotta work them off and eat a bit smarter for a coupel days. Thats all it is "sacrifices" ill eat fish and salad and chicken breats for 3 days and than maybe have some pizza, as long as you stay active.

I saw on biggest loser last night 1/3 of Americans are obese, not overweight OBESE!!! 1/3 judging by your population thats over 100 million people that are obese, That is embaressing America.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Interesting. When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was going to be something simple like eat healthy and exercise

Don't be silly,

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I like fad diets like the wine and slimjim diet or the Jim Beam and candy diet. Restrictive....yes but if followed rigorously you will lose the weight along with the heart problems and other illnesses.

Seriously folks....

I used to fast and lose weight rapidly but comfort food has great meaning in my life these days.

Anyone know where that "potassium switch" is located? I'll just turn it off.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If you look at most 'comfort foods' there are many that come from "the old country" or are "peasant foods" at heart.
Someone working manual labour in a cold climate would fair better with a diet high in fats and carbohydrates (possibly smaller amounts of protein due to high costs/scarcity etc.) than someone living in a relatively warmer climate who sits in a recliner typing all day. The body is going to metabolize differently based on lifestyle.

It might make you happy eating Schnitzel all day, but unless you're out ploughing the back forty with a team of horses you are likely not metabolizing it properly.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I watched a programme on obese kids the other day. At first I thought I would give them a chance before I cast judgement,maybe these kids had some genetic problem?. but after looking at their lifestyles and diets, it was no surprise these kids were obese. No exersise and an apalling attitude towards food.

you have to blame the parents. it's like child abuse

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The problem with the potassium switch is that it can interfered with the body ability to monitor blood pressure.

Yes you can be skinny as the OP article claim but still can die from a hart attack.

then your coffer should not be that expensive.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's not just put down the fork and pick up some running shoes?

Damn, I thought I had this obesity thing down packed. Ohh well, looks like I'll need big pharma to help me stay thin now too, instead of just using common sense.

My god, people will believe anything we tell them. Defeating obesity? Diet and exercise, yeah some people have the whole genetic thing, but this is not the majority of people.

STOP CONSUMING.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The key to defeating obesity was discovered long ago.

It's called diet and excercise.

This would be a quick fix for those who are too lazy or weak minded and would need to be an endless treatment because no new habits would be formed other than popping a pill or taking a jab. They would still eat the same amount of food and would still consume more than they need and maybe even more of what they don't.

It makes me sick that obese people waste so much by overconsuming when some people can only just afford to eat.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join