It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flag Contribution Level - Abused?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
So, If I like a thread, I flag it, and I flag with descretion, but I have flagged a fair number of deserving threads.

My flag contribution level is still '0", STILL!

So, I see new members with a big blue line, and I think: "are they just flagging a bunch of threads deserving or not, just to get that blue line across their 'Flag Contribution Level' ?

What's the deal, am I misunderstanding something here?

If so, fill me in.

Besides, I liked the old system better with ATS points, please bring that system back, it can't be abused.

Thank You.

edit to add Thank You.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Toadmund]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

What's the deal, am I misunderstanding something here?

I think so ... the flag contribution level bar rises relative to the flags you receive for threads you author, not for flagging other threads.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Toadmund

What say everybody, flag this thread and boost this man's contribution level?

Here's one from me....

You see you get the blue bar for flags you received...

Peace

[edit on 6/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That's what I thought may be the case.
I only author threads if I have something truly unique and interesting to me, the other thread authors are doing a decent job, they keep me busy enough.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Oh, and thanks for the flags

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Toadmund]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
You still have ATS points and stars they are just in your profile not on your Avatar.

As SD has already said your Flag Contribution Level is based on threads you create getting flagged (every 50 flags you earn it fills up a little bit). It is supposedly put in place to encourage us all to develep quality threads, but has actually lead to garbage threads being posted, and people purposefully reposting old topics with new titles to get attention and flags.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'll throw in a star just to get you a little blue...

Anyway you are right... It seems a lot of folks here at ATS simply don't understand what the star and flag are for... not saying every post deserves one but it would be nice to have more than one flag after a couple hundred replies right?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
All I know is that I worked so hard for mine! And it takes a ton of time.

I guess you could get lots of flags by posting stupid threads or by posting articles all the time. That requires a lot of free time, which many members do not have.

It doesn't matter much in the long run.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

And here is a flag from me. The more flags we receive the closer we get to "Godlike Wisdom" ............Something to keep in mind

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

It is supposedly put in place to encourage us all to develep quality threads, but has actually lead to garbage threads being posted, and people purposefully reposting old topics with new titles to get attention and flags.

I disagree. before this system we had the ATS/BTS points displayed in your avatar and some other variations. I did not notice an increase in "garbage threads" since the introduction of this system. They are just as abundant as they used to be!! (maybe a little more because of the increase in members)

If the thread get the flags it is probably interesting to some. One might argue wether or not a thread can be labeled garbage but that is really in the eye of the beholder....

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I flagged you OP, in hopes that you would get a smidgeon of blue in your flag contribution bar. LOL.

I thought the same thing at first, I was flagging every thread I read.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It's like in kindergarden, were you would get a beautiful sticker if you didn't pee in you pants but rather on the toilet. It ment the world to all of us but i really don't have any use for it anymore...

Come on people, are we that insecure about our self??

Peace

[edit on 6/1/2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

And here is a flag from me. The more flags we receive the closer we get to "Godlike Wisdom" ............Something to keep in mind

Theres the answer. I was trekking through Tibet when i stumbled across an ancient looking monk, i said " what have you learnt in life" he said " the answer to enlightenment", I said " well what is it then wise old monk", he just smiled and whispered gently " when your'e flag contribution level is fully blue, you will be enlightened", i said " i cant even sort out my damn avatar". *

*Some of this might not be true

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Flagged for the fun of it!!

I hate oneliners so i added this.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hi there,

flag-level refers to the amount of threads you received, as the first posters mentioned.

Good luck collecting those Flags

If you have any further questions dont hesitate to contact us.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join