It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does God want nobody to practise magic ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
but this is all asuming everyone listens to and believes the bible

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
The prohibition lies in its practical application. The reason for this being so is that (according to the old testament) it (use of magic) indicated a lack of faith on the part of the practiotioner.

Yeah, I've had somewhat similar thoughts along that line .. similar, but different.

I tend to believe that using magic, or even prayer for that matter, for anything of personal gain was a NO NO. Sort of like cheating. An example would be someone that is unemployed and they are trying to use magic, or even prayer, or any kind of higher PTB, to assist them above and beyond their own merit and effort and worth to get that job over another that might be more qualified and isn't trying to ask the PTB for a cheating favor, ha.

I think that using magic or prayer for personal gain is like cheating. I would never pray or use magic for personal advantage or gain over another. It probably would work, but I don't think I want to eventually bear the ultimate cost or penalty for cheating by using magic or a god.

One should obtain these things based upon on their own merit and worth. What pride is there in any accomplishment that wasn't entirely your own, because you had HELP from a higher PTB? Praying or using magic to get some job over another because you were unable to obtain it based upon your own efforts and qualification is really a cheat. And I suppose that would go for everything else too, except maybe using magic/prayer for improving ones health, I don't think it too much to use magic or ask god for good health, that's EXPECTED at minimum. The other stuff though, that I think we should do on our own and not cheat by pulling an ace from our sleeve.

I think it's okay to call upon external forces or any higher PTB that you may believe in for things such as helping others, etc. But calling on magic, or even god through prayer, to get you something for personal gain of any kind, well, that just seems like a cheat to me, probably a sin of some kind. Certainly there must be a cost involved in asking a higher PTB to get you something you couldn't get or didn't deserve based upon on your own merit and worth and own efforts.

Something like that ..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It is not God who fights against the use of what you call Magic, it is those who say they speak on behalf of God, and has been so for many many Centuries.

They fought against the use of Earth energy and other forces, simply because they could not use it for themselves, so deemed it as the Gift of Satan to make people afraid of it.

Even today all over the World, people are still ignorant enough to believe what the leaders of their religions tell them what it is supposed to represent, when in truth they are well aware that it is used for goodness and the benefit of everybody, even those who refuse to believe it is nothing but Evil.

It is used by many people, most of the time under the falsehood that they think they know what they are doing, Satanism is always used as the example, but in truth, most people who call themselves Satanists, would run a mile if they actually succeeded in their attempts to call and ask him or her to manifest themselves before them, there are very few true Satanists who actually do what they do with good intentions, yes you read right, GOOD INTENTIONS, in my experience it is mostly kids or teenagers who get a kick out of that kind of Majick, I don't know maybe they think it's cool or trendy, or the in thing for them at the time, often biting off a lot more than they can chew along the way.

True Majick can only be used for the benefit of others, often when used to hurt or get revenge comes back and bites them on the ass in a big way, it was, is and always intended to be used to help and benefit others, in old times was used to help crops grow, heal the sick, bring prosperity to the community, never ever intended to bring fame and fortune to the individual.

I am a firm believer in whatever you take needs to be repaid sooner or later, the more well intended, the less the debt so to speak.

Getting back to the God issue, it is merely down to what people want to believe, and their faith in their leaders, IMO these so called leaders, mostly7 have nothing in mind but their own well being, by telling lies and spreading the wrong truths about Majick, they prevent people from learning the truth of what it is really about, and helps in a lot of ways to keep people under their control, by threatening eternity in Hell for sin, and using the word Demon to scare the living daylights out of people, which is then spread from adults to Children.

So it is not God who forbids it, it is Humans who claim to speak on behalf of God, after all Majick was used long before any messiah came along, and was a gift granted by God to those who had the vision and understanding of Earth energy and the power of Nature herself, I don't think it is a coincidence that the so called Powers that be and the Elite, are reported to use ritual Majick, it's something they consider too powerful and too good for anyone but them.

In the end, payback is and will be a bitch for them I think, it was a gift for all, not just a select few.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If i recall correctly in the old testament didn't moses and the pharaoh each have their own little magick contest to see whos magick was stronger? in this case it was moses who won, also the god in the bible tells you to do alot of things that he and his prophets dont seem to do themselves do not kill yet he kills and has his followers kill for land ect. also Solomon binded spirits etc etc the bible is full of magick of course this is not something the priest hoods want folks knowing or playing with otherwise it would empower them as well.

The bible also has burnt offering and animal sacrifice the smell was pleasing to god it reads.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
spell magic RIGHT PEOPLE we dont play WOW

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The bible only prohibits Necromancy and Divination.

Even then there are forms of acceptable Divination (i.e. prophetic).

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamherefornow
I do not mess with Tarot cards, magic crap, psychics, seances, ouji boards or anything else of that nature.
I believe that stuff will open doors to things that are evil in nature. I am by no means religious either but just have always thought this.
Knock on wood I have never seen a ghost or had any weird thing happen to me since I was real little.

A quick, (I hope) story. I was raised S. Baptist. Never messed with Ouija I met my current husband in 1999. We moved to a new apartment together and I forgot the reason, but we "consulted" Ouija board for something. I thought, when the piece moved across the board, that it was him moving the bit across the board. Then, after a few weeks of "haha, that was funny". weird things started to happen. Glowing red orbs, silver-ware clinking in an empty kitchen.....it took a lot to get that "spirit" out of our lives.......and all we did was ask a paper Ouija some questions.....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
ouija is very very bad, almost the worst thing you can do is consult a demon for questions

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Therion666

People don't understand what true magic is. When people see magic, they think in terms of harry potter.

However, I know of a different kind of magic. A true kind of magic. And it is used on a daily basis. It's illusion.

A politician for example. They are sorcerers. They use their tongues on the people, and then render the population under their spell/control. The power of symbols and such you see? These are symbols that the people themselves will follow. Oh that man has the symbol, he is one of us. You see this in politics don't you? How many people voted for GWB because he was a christian? He had the symbols and such that gave him power.

Take the story of moses, and instead look at it in terms of an allegory. What happened was the staff turned into a serpent. The sorcerers all put out their snakes, but the snake of moses ate the others.

Well, snake represents what usually? Wisdom. Be as wise as serpents and as harmless of doves.

Is it possible that what that scene is really talking about is that moses went in front of the pharoahs political leaders, they started to debate etc, and the wisdom of moses was so much greater than he basically ate/killed that of the sorcerers of the pharoah?

I guess one can take that story as meaning literal magic, but I don't think that is what it's talking about at all.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Magic should be nothing more than part of natures laws. Forces in the universe we do not understand. Talking to the dead is nothing more than a way of communicating with an other dimension. That there are dangers involved if you are not sure about what you are doing is something else.

Magic as we understand it is making use of a different kind of forces than we are used to. These forces are all part of Gods creation so it is weird that He doesn't want us to learn and use them. Maybe because He think that we are not evolved enough to bear the responsibllity to use them.

EDIT: Last sentence deleted....

[edit on 7-1-2010 by zatara]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
Why does God us not to touch it?

Because it has for eons been used to bankrupt and control the weak-minded. Instead of living a good life based on an intolerant and difficult moral code that guarantees no earthly reward, sorcery appeals to those who want an easier way to riches. And as such is inherently corrupting. And yeah, at the end of this slow, easy road is hell, and satan.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Magic is in the food you eat and mix together, you are what you eat Wiccan. Your body is a Temple.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
God doesn't exist - the question is moot.

Magic on the other hand... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's not that he doesn't want you to use magic, it's just in the manner in which you use it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This kind of ties in with the God's supposed dislike of astrology....someone once said (& I wish I'd thought of it first!!) if God hates astrology, why did he use a conjunction of 2 bright planets (the "Star of Bethlehem) to announce Jesus' birth, and have an eclipse of the sun at his death? I would think that God would want us to use our the brains he gave us to help ourselves, at least a little, with astrology; not the sunsign crap in the newpapers, but the astrology that involves learning all the intricacies of it........so go a. and slam me, I know it's coming - but I can take it!!

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I am a true mage. Chriss angel is being hunted currently because he betrayed the laws of the 49th mages guild of arpothelon in the outskirts of dubai. His powers of levitation are legitimate and beyond our understanding. That is why it is banned by the church

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Practising magic considered by God lack of faith...? Was it not God who crteated laws of nature and with it laws of magic?

Did He create the ability to do magic because it His medium to perform wonders and is therefore not meant for us......we are not 'grown-up'enough to use this knowledge?

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

There is no evidence that magic exists. No one has ever been able to perform a real magic trick, and no one has ever been able to perform a miracle, in a controlled environment.

It is a useless question if it based on a massive assumption that has never been demonstrated correct.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
There is no evidence that magic exists. No one has ever been able to perform a real magic trick, and no one has ever been able to perform a miracle, in a controlled environment.

It is a useless question if it based on a massive assumption that has never been demonstrated correct.
Well, the same could be said for a number of aspects of quantum physics and related fields. Just because something cannot be easily reproduced upon command, does not mean it can't happen. It may just mean we don't know all of the parameters necessary to recreate the conditions identically from one instance to another.

[edit on 2/5/2010 by JoshNorton]

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
There is no inherent ban against magick - God strictly forbade conjuring spirits of the dead and 'spiritists' - both meaning those who traffic with the spirit beings of the Other Side are not tolerated.

Those who have had bad experiences with a Ouija board can testify that even minor traffic with the spirit world can be difficult to contain afterward.

As a Christian, I would not traffic in that - however, exerting the Will through the grace of God is not forbidden... which is more along the line of Crowley, who defines Magick as willing a change in the Universe.

Hmm...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join