It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does God want nobody to practise magic ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Magic is an ambiguous word, it's meaning changes the closer one looks at the definitions. Magic is science not yet known so as we become more intelligent what we used to consider as magic is now explainable science and what now has become magic are the unknown answers to these new questions that were created. As I think of magic in this way I realize the importance of not using such a thing without an understanding of what it is.

Thoughts create reality so it is important to be mindful of your thoughts because your personal thoughts are not the only thoughts creating reality. This is a collective effort containing all of our thoughts that, in effect, connects us together in this reality. If we were to consider science as practical knowledge that everyone can use then magic would be like the elusive knowledge that is beyond the collective understanding. In this way magic works yet for those who do not understand it, it creates fear and anger and therefore no matter how good your intentions are it can too easily go horrible wrong.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Why did God not want man to eat of the fruit of knowledge to begin with?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A small matter of Jesus and loaves and fishes comes to mind....not to mention the parting of a whole sea by an old guy in a beard.

How dare they!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
because magic is the Gateway of Demons, and by practicing magic you are questioning the power of God

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
reply to post by zatara

Because you would fear death so much that you would try to live life on the earth as if you were in eternia. Forcing your ways and beliefs on the more humble and light attached public because you have a fear of leaving everything behind or missing some experience after you die. EVEN IF YOU WERE DESIGNED TO HATCH FROM THOSE FLESH BODIES INTO YOUR TRUE FORMS OF EXISTANCE.

[edit on 1/6/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
He doesn't want the competition perhaps! Surely this is a rhetorical thread.

Second line.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The Bible denounces "magic" for the same reason it denounces idolatry. Both idolatry and magic are a form of fraud that exploit the vulnerable.

The Bible clearly prohibits idolatry and lists it with murder in the ten commandments. Most people will think that having statues around your house is no big deal, so why should idolatry be a big sin. The reason why is that idolatrous cults that existed at the time exploited and defrauded people, often at times when they were most vulnerable.

By staying clear of idolatry, one was staying clear of hucksters who would take what little money one had and give you a statue that could do nothing to protect you or help you. Similarly, by avoiding magic, you are staying clear of hucksters who can swindle people.

Of course, many of you are going to say that many of the organized religions that are based on the Bible swindle people and prey upon vulnerable people. Well, you are right. In this regard, many organized religions are practicing a form of idolatry.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
god does everything for a reason

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Because magic (a.k.a. miracles) would reveal that Jesus was just another man...an ordinary man...much like modern "magicians".

My 2-cents

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It is unlikely that any supreme being giving its creations free will would admonish them for any experience they had while learning of their true nature and connection within creation.
However, to examine this with the bibles image of god; it seems there are two possible impressions...one for the benefit of the people, the other, the church.

For the people: perhaps to practice magic would give humans certain ability, yet in so doing lead them into a mystical interpretaion of reality and further from their natural connection to the creator - god; and that in time, as our connection to the creator increased, so to would our understanding of the universe and our ability to operate within creation.
For the church: perhaps simply to control peoples instincts and desire to see living divinity in nature...and maintain themselves - preists, as the conduits to the creator.

For your consideration~

LOVE

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I cannot resist...sorry. No harm intended here.

I think God would rather we master simple things like spelling before moving on to magic. Baby steps...baby steps.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
reply to post by zatara

How can you manipulate and control a person when they are no longer ignorant?

He feared we would become like him... our knowledge would threaten his supremacy over us.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
using magic would mean we would chalenge Gods Authority, and he specifically said do not challenge thy god

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

No you've got it wrong - there will be people who say God doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
It sounds probably like a stupid and obvious question but still.....

If God advice strongly against practising magic,

he probably would like you to learn how to spell PRACTICE first..........................and then i think it would be ok to do it =P

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

The supernatural world belongs to God.You would be opening a pandora's box you would find difficult to close.I have had paranormal activity in my
life once,it's not easy to get away from!Magic would open a gateway you
wouldn't like or be able to control.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What if you were to look at it from say my point of view, in that if god, his son and some of the hight priests, were the only ones knowing the magic, then they are the only ones with the knowledge and power over the masses, but if another had such knowledge, he also would have such power and able to give the masses a different story to that which they have been told. This in turn would encourage people to look beyond the rule of the god they know, because of the new man able to use such magic. And so we have history, with many different religions a faiths, because of the knowledge that has been shown by the god of that religion.

So for me its about power, manipulation and control, using the science of magic, that is more and more accepted, and why religion IMO is dying, because the deception is no longer working.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

I agree with what you say !!

Even non- believers should stay away from your examples.
Usually these are influenced by what we call evil.

What is it with the banning of magic in the old testament ?

I believe it says that god or evil ruler, it's t keep his servents dumb. To stay their lord.
But that's just my intrepetation.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
idolatry and magic both are there were you give power above god.
For example if (your interpretation) of the bible has more power
the god as one (his law) then you are in idolatry.

OR it is god, or it is the symbol.

(the bible means we are all in that phase as human)

Magic is the same thing, magic is thinking that an 'act' or 'intention'
can be used against the will of nature. It means stealing also is
magic. It means stealing attention without justification is magic.
It is misabuse of power.

The bible needs to be readed correct, to understand it,
correct means it has to be a servant of gods law,
and gods law is love all, and how can you do that,
by growth, which makes mistakes, which makes you
as much guilty as everybody else, takes away your choice,
and lets you react on unrighteousness until you forgive god.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
How can you manipulate and control a person when they are no longer ignorant?

He feared we would become like him... our knowledge would threaten his supremacy over us.

003:022

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
Genesis Chapter 3:22

I agree with "man is become as one of us" but disagree with this somehow being a threat. This is a very painful endeavor, seeking knowledge, yet it is the path that we all have chosen and thus is now our destiny. Not a threat but a very long and painful journey that could very well end in failure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join