It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does God want nobody to practise magic ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It sounds probably like a stupid and obvious question but still.....

Now there will be people who say....stop....magic doesn't excists, so it is an useless question. Next one. But let us assume that we all live according the Bible and accept the Bible as to be the truth. Why does God us not to touch it?

If God advice strongly against practising magic, I can assume that it is possible. Why should magic on forehand be something evil or will result in something that you will regret?

Wouldn't it be helpfull and easy if you could predict certain things that are important for you to know? Or wouldn't it be a good feeling if you could protect yourself with a spell? Or what about curing somebody with it? There are so many usefull things you could do with magic so why not use it?

Like many other, more tangible, tools you can do bad things with it, so why not use magic as a tool to do good things. Not only for yourself but for others too.
Even if it takes to worshiop something or somebody else to make it work? That shouldn't necessarily mean that you do not love God above all or do not consider Him the creator of all, now does it?

From Deutronomy:- Do not be tempted to worship or serve what you see in the sky - the sun, the moon, and the stars (4.19).

From Leviticus:- Do not go for advice to people who consult the spirits of the dead.(l9*31).

. . anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to God.”—Deuteronomy 18:10-12.

I belief that the world we live in is focussed on science and lost interest in other means to get things done....so to speak.

Is this on purpose? Has the Vatican while arranging the New Testament made sure that the knowledge of magic will not be persuit by the common man? And did the priest of the Old Testament do the same so that only a few would know the (other) powers of the universe?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by zatara]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
No, it's more something todo with that magic was a power given by satan, and only jesus and his apostles (and those crazy folks in the old testament) could perform miracles.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Incendia vox

"A rose by any other name"...

Line 2

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Magic is not necessarily a miracle per-se ...

it's more to do with the subtle energies of nature e.g;

A person can deflect negativity and change it to positivity or return it to sender (subtle energy - magick).

A person can pluck a leaf from a tree ... only God can put one on a tree (miracle of nature).

Woody

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Because if the individuals practicing it cannot see the effects say in another far off location/dimension then the individuals wouldnt know if they released something dangerous that is supposed to be BONDED for a certain period of time freeing it into their existance.

Another reason is it may interfere with the NATURAL fabrics that man exist in causing these fabrics to deteriorate and eventually destroying all located in these mentioned fabrics of existance.

Finally the demons may be able to incarnate inside the living bodies of the individuals practicing the DARK MAJIK/DARK ALCHEMY/ BLACK PROJECT SCIENCE* again freeing something that doesnt belong in this region of EXISTANCE.

link   
the same reason that I dont want anyone to have sex with any girl I've ever slept with. magick makes you god-like.

isnt there a quote in the biblr about "I am a jealous god"???

link   
The old testament prohibits the use of magic and auguring techniques. However, learning about the arts is not prohibited, even from a known black magician. The prohibition lies in its practical application. The reason for this being so is that (according to the old testament) it (use of magic) indicated a lack of faith on the part of the practiotioner. These arts are considered impure, and there are many pure ways given by the old testament for achieving divine revelation end experience.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
that depends what do you call "magic"?.. maybe in a sense, "magic" is just an alternative to science and religion. the more alternative "tools" there is for you to choose, the better. I think. alternative medicine, alternative science, alternative religion, can all of these be called magic? so maybe your "god" just doesn't want you to have alternatives (in a sense)...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Well, I belive in neither god nor magic, so I'm not exactly an expert (other than ~12 years or so of strict biblical nonsense implanted into my head until I realised it was silly). But I do agree with totalstranger in the sense that these people did not want their magical invisble sky man being upstaged by some guy repeating an incantation. And think about how many miracles there were, virtually everything they called a miracle can be explained away by that miracle I call:

SCIENCE

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I have never seen Magic ever work by people who claim to be able to do it, so If someone can prove it really works and exsits Ill belive it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
and i was under the belif that magic involving the dead was called necromancy

which would make the followers of jesus necromancers and practisers of contradicting one´s belif

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I have to admit I agree ... but I come at it from a 'splicing the two together' kind of position rather than one or the other ... things seem to fit better from that perspective (for me at least).

I do believe in God but as a 'creative energy' not a 'sky guy'

Woody

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
well I don't call you stupid for not believing magic, so it's not very nice to call me stupid for practising "magic". I just like to have all available tools I can get. modern astrologist use computers, Christian priests use magic rituals in their daily life. oh and have you read any quantum physics paper lately, or about string theory?.. so I don't know, you tell me

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

that's funny because many preists of many religions - including jewish -have at some point used trances, symbols, and charts or some other sort of magic ....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

i hope that was sarcasm...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
The old testament prohibits the use of magic and auguring techniques. However, learning about the arts is not prohibited, even from a known black magician. The prohibition lies in its practical application. The reason for this being so is that (according to the old testament) it (use of magic) indicated a lack of faith on the part of the practiotioner. These arts are considered impure, and there are many pure ways given by the old testament for achieving divine revelation end experience.

Magic is reserved for the clergy. God never said don't practice Magic people who wanted to monopolize magic for profit created this myth to cut down on competition.

If you look at religion from the point of view of an MLM company it's easier to understand dogma.

Jesus was a healer, the apostles were healers, and they used the tools of healers in that era. Crystals, gems, herbs, prayer, etc..

Who are the Magi ? I know, wise men. The word magic comes from Magi.

Look past the veil and you will see the truth. God has no ambassadors.

A ritual is a ritual.

The Eucharist is a magic ritual that is based on blood sacrifice and consumption of the offering.

Invocations are dangerous but "they" do it.

Nothing about religion or "god" is simple.

I may sound like a 'heretic" but that is just more dogma.

Cheers
Ziggy

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Tim00

that depends what do you call "magic"?.. maybe in a sense, "magic" is just an alternative to science and religion.

Indeed the ruling class simply cannot have the oiks learning science, this arena is reserved for priests and kings only.

That's it in a nutshell no demons satans or bad spirits required,

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The thing is, no one has magical powers, but there are forces in the universe that can be manipulated by using words, vibrated in a certain manner. People in the know call them the names of the Gods, but I think it is a lot more than that. For you Christians, in your Bible it says, "In the beginning there was the Word." Words are power, if the right words are spoken in the correct manner. This was taught to Earth women by the Neflim, who were ET beings, and then the women taught them to others, including men. There came a time when a coup was operated, and men took the power of magick from the women, and every other power they had, and took it unto themselves, and then went about burning and hanging wise women, thus wiping out the power of the Sacred Feminine, they thought. The women are rising up in power once again, and will, one day, put the Sacred Feminine back on her throne, where she belongs.

The reason magick is so difficult to learn and practice is simple; if it were easy, everyone would be performing spellcasting, and the world would be in chaos.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
This should be in the Mysterious Subjects forum? Why is it here?

My view: I'm a skeptic when it comes to religion and most things that defy the laws of science.

Magic has been practiced in many religions at all times. People have used magic on people, bending them to their will; it is called manipulation, or social engineering.

Science is magic itself. With enough knowledge, one man can do a lot of things that could be called magic.
NOTE: Create fire!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I do not mess with Tarot cards, magic crap, psychics, seances, ouji boards or anything else of that nature.
I believe that stuff will open doors to things that are evil in nature. I am by no means religious either but just have always thought this.
Knock on wood I have never seen a ghost or had any weird thing happen to me since I was real little.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join