It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State shortfall forces cut in child care subsidies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

State shortfall forces cut in child care subsidies

www.buffalonews.com

he Erie County Department of Social Services must immediately scale back a state program aimed at providing child care subsidies to low-income families because the state has not provided the necessary funding, county officials said.

The county receives a child care block grant to offset the cost of day care services for children of recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the working poor. Running at current levels, the program is costing local taxpayers $10 million more than the state is providing to the county.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well this is my hometown.
The only reason I know about this is because it happened to my sister yesterday.
She got a letter in the mail
saying that she was cut off
She was given to the 14th to find a alternative source for money or remove my niece from daycare.
She already a single parent
the father pays 63 bucks for CS

www.buffalonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ok, this new for me, I had no clue that poor families had tax payer money in the name of subsidies to pay for child care so they can to go to work?

I knew that poor families gets tax payer money in the name of subsidies to pay for pre school.

I don't get it, is ok have people working in jobs that can not even pay for their childcare rather than use that money to make sure that the jobs pay more than enough.

This only shows how our system is cheating no only the tax payer but those that are doing something to support a family, in other words people in this side of the poverty level are kept from actually getting out of poverty level.

It is true that the government wants to finish kill the middle class while keeping the poor from succeeding in life, a vicious cycle.

So sad.

Sorry this is happening to your sister.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thank you
I also found out the min you can make a year is 18,000
daycare 220 a week around
my sister pays 80 a week for it
so they helped her out 140 bucks a week
so my sister has 10 days to find a extra 560 bucks a month

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blankduck18

This is so unfair, they help her pay for child care but is not help for her to get off the poverty level without getting penalized.

This is just beyond me and now she will have to lose her only job because she still will not be able to afford child care on her own without government assistance.

What a vicious cycle.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Sad Sad Sad
It appears that everyone has the option to go to trial to fight the decision
So basically we have enough money to spend on trials to tell these people no
but not enough to help them out
Great System we have here!
My next question is how much does the trial cost compared to how much would be spent on the actual day care support

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Indiana is going through exactly the same thing. I don't believe they are totally cutting the funding but reducing it. I don't know what to tell you, I'm sure there are 1000 other things that shouldn't be cut either but when the money isn't there what can you do?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by blankduck18

This is so unfair, they help her pay for child care but is not help for her to get off the poverty level without getting penalized.

This is just beyond me and now she will have to lose her only job because she still will not be able to afford child care on her own without government assistance.

What a vicious cycle.

Apparently all the government money went into bailing out the REAL needy people.... you know, bankers.

In case you're wondering, that was sarcasm

top topics

join