It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I still find it amazing that race has to come into it. They stated they did it to provoke........well it worked, I hope they enjoy their time off.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wait, these were muslim students who wore them to provoke Americans?
Like "Yay for 9-11"???
OMGosh, that's just stupid!
Someone must've put them up to it?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Wait, these were muslim students who wore them to provoke Americans?

That's a very, very interesting way to put it.

Just the other day I had some crazy lady come into my office that ended up slamming me into the wall. I called her a crazy lady, I should have called her a crazy catholic lady that was trying to provoke an American.

---

They were Arab-American students, but as far as I read they were Americans. It's sickeningly sad to see how easy CNN manipulated people.

The truly sickening sad part, which I'm going it easy to read...

Nowhere in the article or video was it ever indicated that the students practiced Islam. Arabic people can be Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist, Muslim, etc.

America is doomed, and if those people in the video represent the common American and their ignorant attitudes, then rightly so.

[edit on 1/6/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
ok, forgive my ignorance........

Is the only problem with these hoodies the fact that they were Arab/American students that made them and wore them to school ????

If it was your average white american kid that did that with a bunch of mates it would of been seen a some kind of great patriotic act and they would be on sale in Wal-mart or what ever you have there....

Sometimes I really do worry about what is going on over in the USA

and a majority of your population wonder why the rest of the world think your all fruit jobs lol....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
"Terrorizing you while you are carrying arms in our land is a legitimate duty we are morally obliged to fulfill...in order to re-establish the greatness of the ummah and to liberate the occupied sacred places... Our youths are different from your soldiers. Your problem will be how to convince your troops to fight, while our problem will be how to restrain our youths."

- Osama bin Laden 1996

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If thee same design were placed over the american flag, then printed on the sweatshirts and worn by blonde haired, blued eyed kids in Iowa. would they be suspended or would they be highlighted on Glenn Beck as patriots? More crap to keep sheeple distracted.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I guess the whole point of them admiting they did it to provoke, has passed alot of you by. If ya poke me to provokeme, you're gonna get a reaction.....they sought one and got it. Since we keep saying it's o.k., let some white kids wear t shirts to school with oh, I don't know, Allah sux on it, with a picture of him with his turban as a bomb, just because they wanted to provoke people.....yup it'd be all over the news, a hate crime, yup, expulsion, yup, and some terrorist group like Cair would sue their parents. I'd say they got off easy.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Actually it's a good thing we don't all think alike.

Aye mate! Don't think I'm not grateful that we have a place like ATS where we can learn from each other.
I'm always on the side of freedom of expression since I'm an artist and musician. Frankly, I've gotten the best reactions from songs and artwork that has some shock value to it although I think there should be some real substance beyond the banal aspect.
Yep, it's a wonderful thing we are not all clones and think alike, what a boring world that would be. Especially if everyone was just like me

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Where does it say proud to be American?

Are you serious?

1.) You do not have to link it, as I am not a complete retard. I read the article and saw the pic.

2.) It does not SAY that. That is what I took it to imply.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I guess the whole point of them admiting they did it to provoke, has passed alot of you by. If ya poke me to provokeme, you're gonna get a reaction.....they sought one and got it. Since we keep saying it's o.k., let some white kids wear t shirts to school with oh, I don't know, Allah sux on it, with a picture of him with his turban as a bomb, just because they wanted to provoke people.....yup it'd be all over the news, a hate crime, yup, expulsion, yup, and some terrorist group like Cair would sue their parents. I'd say they got off easy.

Who says that they were trying to provoke in a negative way?

I see it as a positive provocation.

As was said before, if this were done by any white kid, it would be hailed as patriotic.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I thought it was interesting that the news clip didn't have ONE of the students who were wearing the sweatshirt to give his/her side of the story... Way to slant a story... Only give one side.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There's an old saying "the proof is in the pudding". It's defined as a distraction when it becomes a distraction. This was and did.

We're back to- you can't write a specific rule for every conceivable occurrence. Sooner or later you have to rely on someone somewhere having some common sense. Schools in the US operate under the principle of something called "in loco parentis" which means "in place of a parent".

Although dress codes have yet to be tested at the Supreme Court, there has been a Supreme Court ruling in Tinker vs Des Moines School District where the majority decision was

conduct by the student, in class or out of it, which for any reason - whether it stems from time, place, or type of behavior - materially disrupts classwork or involves substantial disorder or invasion of the rights of others is, of course, not immunized by the constitutional guarantee of freedom of speech.

In that particular case, it was ruled that the wearing of arm bands protesting the Vietnam War were not "sufficiently disruptive".

Justice Hugo Black wrote in a dissenting opinion-

While I have always believed that under the First and Fourteenth Amendments neither the State nor the Federal Government has any authority to regulate or censor the content of speech, I have never believed that any person has a right to give speeches or engage in demonstrations where he pleases and when he pleases.

I repeat that if the time has come when pupils of state-supported schools, kindergartens, grammar schools, or high schools, can defy and flout orders of school officials to keep their minds on their own schoolwork, it is the beginning of a new revolutionary era of permissiveness in this country fostered by the judiciary.

You're always going to have the "What about this? If they can do that then I can do this. Not fair, if you allow abc then def should be allowed. That's not even what I mean it to mean, it's an ancient Sanskrit good luck symbol." Yadda yadda blahdeblah.

Uniforms erase the issue and allow educators to educate rather than waste time squabbling over who's offended by what on who's shirt.

Of course, kids being kids, they'll find another way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Oh, dear freedom of expression has become such a tricky, slippery and one sided thing in todays free America.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I live in Detroit and my address has an 11 in it!! Does this mean something, should I be offended too?? Oh my, the drama.

These people have been watching too much Jerry Springer. Go eat a snickers bar and stfu.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Oeden

Wow, that was very insightfull. I guess it is o.k. to be disruptive and to intentionally antagonize people. So, the school should open itself up to whatever goes?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
This is what confuses me so much, i read daily on here how much people love the constitution and how it is the most perfect document on earth.

Yet when areas covered by the constitution are in poor taste or offensive the constitution goes straight out the window.

As tasteless as a mistake it was it is still freedom of expression, something i thought was covered.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ~Noam Chomsky

maybe, but not in a school, I don't the constitution was designed for kids to make their own sweatshirts

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
There's a time and a place. I'm all for free expression including civil disobedience when it's warranted.

A school setting is neither the time nor place. It's disruptive and distracting.

As I look into this specific situation, it doesn't appear to me that he students were being intentionally disrespectful. If anything, it looks as though the intent was to show some solidarity with America on 9-11.

A moot point, as far as I'm concerned. It's distracting. I think suspension was overboard. I'd have had them remove the sweatshirts and make it clear they weren't to be worn during school.

That's more the impression I got as well. The shirts seemed to be saying that, in spirit, you can't being them down, and using the 9/11 incident as an example. After all, the American people were shocked, hurt, and dismayed, but as a nation, we still stand. I am not at all certain that they intended any disrespect at all.

That said, I can see how some would see it otherwise, and agree that the shirts should not be worn at school, but suspending them is far too much for something like this. Unless they did something, said something, or otherwise indicated that this was some anti-American slur, then having them change shirts is all that is needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join