It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
According to the comments after the article, one of the kids admitted that the shirts were made to provoke. If this is true, they got the reaction they were looking for. Schools are not the best place to exercise your right to freedom of speech as it does not exist in a school environment.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

Yes, they were meant to provoke. Kids are stupid and often do things that seem like good ideas at the time without thinking of the consequences. The school should ban the shirts and prevent the little jerks from getting the crap kicked out of them on school grounds. Now that they know how provoking they are, if they are dumb enough to wear them in a tough neighborhood and get beat for it, too bad.
Maybe college entrance officials will be checking facebook postings.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
we make fun of japan getting nuked all the time and i don't see anyone crying about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by Hack28

Children in school, are under a different form of rule. Anything distracting is not allowed. Let's suppose for an instan that another student in that school had a relative that died in one of the twin towers. Said student whips one of their butts for wearing it, did it cause a distraction, did the student commit a hate crime, how much can the parents sue for, etc etc? It's not just a constitutional matter at that point.

So if say your sister's son wore a chevrolet t-shirt to school then everyone who was ever killed in collision with a chevrolet has the right to make them take it off?
PFFFTTTTT! ARE WE FREE HERE OR NOT OR ARE YOU GOING TO NITPICK UNTIL IT'S ALL GONE?
Anything can be offensive to someone, get over it or move to a more politcally correct country where they enforce rules about what one can and cannot wear (like where the Taliban is in control)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
we make fun of japan getting nuked all the time and i don't see anyone crying about it.

Who does that? Where are you from? Support your claim for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'll admit my initial perception was that the message was anti terrorist. But if it was from the terrorist perspective, I would say a very long suspension is in order. At the least.
Imagine the reaction if they had carried some racist slur - or heaven forbid, if they had been the slightest bit critical of Islam. Also where were the parents in this?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
So if say your sister's son wore a chevrolet t-shirt to school then everyone who was ever killed in collision with a chevrolet has the right to make them take it off?

Tell me you're kidding. You seriously think that's an apt analogy? See, this is the reason for the extensive rules we have. Way too many people are either unable to exercise a modicum of common sense, or looking to pushpushpush puuuuuush the envelope until something snaps for their own unfathomable reasons.

This is why many schools have uniforms.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Uniforms? In public schools?
Man I hope this is only for private schools...this uniform thing.

I say let them make controversial statements, or artwork.
What doest this shirt really mean?
What harm do you think this shirt does?
Makes them think too much?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's provocative, it's an unnecessary distraction. Uniforms are being used in a variety of public school districts in the US for this very reason. There's enough to be done with education without having to monitor dueling shirt slogans.

We have high school students who can't spell "quadratic equation", much less factor one. How about the schools being able to focus more on the mission of educating, and less on having to monitor extraneous distraction?

Everybody can wear their cool slogan shirts on their own time. Whether something should cause a problem or not, whether there's justification for outrage or not, the fact is some things are distracting and counterproductive in a learning environment. Those things have no place in school.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Ummmm. not the same thing. I guess we could play semantics if ya want to? Funny, I've always enjoyed your posts, however I think you're way off base on this one.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Another example of how most Americans actually feel about freedom of speech. Kids should be free to express themselves. Simple as that.

If you don't want your kid exposed to freedoms, send them to your religious or private schools. And then get ready for them to hate you later in life when they find out you were trying to control their life.

I can't see where these kids say they were trying to stir # up. I see some guy calling them rug riders, and claiming that was what they were doing on that site though.

If white guys made this shirt, would these people be as offended?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Said student whips one of their butts for wearing it, did it cause a distraction, did the student commit a hate crime, how much can the parents sue for, etc etc?

A student will get beaten up for wearing the wrong type of shoes, or for wearing khakis when everyone else is wearing jeans. Should we ban shoes and khakis as well?

A suspension would be ridiculous in this case and I hope all of those "Well Why Don't The Arabs Take A Stand?" folks are reading this and seeing exactly what happens when a group of Arab-Americans do make a statement about solidarity with the US.

It wasn't in bad taste in the least, and as was so wisely said above:

If poor taste bothered me, I wouldn't be living in America still.

Thank you.

[edit on 1/6/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I am not seeing the issue.

I do not even think it is lacking in taste.

It says I am proud to be an American . . .

I guess I don't see it either. They are saying that they cant be brought down and it seems to me they are stating the terrorists cant bring Americas spirit down.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
It's disruptive and distracting.

I wonder... where should they draw the line for "distracting"? Is Sally's skirt too short and causing a distraction? If the football team wears matching T-shirts, is that distracting?

I don't even thing these sweatshirts are in poor taste. As you said, they show solidarity with the nation.

I definitely think this school went WAY overboard on this and I'm not at all sure people understand the message of the graphics.

People are WAY too sensitive!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Another media sensationalized story. Notice that they just HAD to say that it was agroup of ARAB- American students that made the shirts. What was the point of stating their ethnicity in this story other than to turn it into another "anti-arab" discussion/story. Seriously who cares if they were arab, white, black, asian or any other ethnic group. I gurantee if they were all asian or all black it would not have even been mentioned. The story would have said 15 students made the shirt and not 15 Arab-American students.. This media outlet should be ashamed at trying to make this more than what it really is. I am more offended by the media in this case than I am by the shirt/sweater.
Why is the whole world so sensitive? We all need de-sensitivity training.
If this shirt offended you so badly fine I am OK with that, but lets not make this more than what it really is. Is Detroit really that hard up for a story? I am sure there must be something more newsworthy than this to cover considering the shape of Detroit after the auto workers got shafted.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

The Last time I checked the Untied States of America was about Freedom of Speech and Expression, Was the sweater in poor taste?

The schools penalizing them, there's a difference.
Y'may have noticed, you don't have the freedom of expression in school.

That said, wearing them outside of school would have probably gotten them beat up, simply due to what's involved.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Tell me you're kidding. You seriously think that's an apt analogy? See, this is the reason for the extensive rules we have. Way too many people are either unable to exercise a modicum of common sense, or looking to pushpushpush puuuuuush the envelope until something snaps for their own unfathomable reasons.

This is why many schools have uniforms.

No, tell me YOU'RE kidding. The article states that the number 11 looks like the trade center towers. I disagree, it looks nothing like it. Is there a plane, a fire or jumping people? Nope. Is there a number 9? So did you decide it looked like the WTC or did you just go along with the prevailing assumption here?
What was their message? You won't bring us down (the class of 2011). The WTC towers fell but what they are saying is that they won't. How is that wrong?
What I see happening here is people are making gross assumptions as to the intent and content of what is on these sweatshirts. What really bothers me is the sacrosanct aspect of all things 9/11 and how it leaves no room for questioning the 911 commission report or a myriad of other factors involving 9/11. It;s like that one day sucked all the laughter out America and stole our very soul. It looks like they've stolen most of our freedoms too because all the sheep went baa, baa, baa all the way down the slaughter gate. Why? Because the average person wouldn't challenge the offical version and response to what happened on 9/11.
I think I see the same behavior here.
I have not only the right but the duty to disagree with what I see if I believe it is wrong. Punishing these kids for wearing these sweatshirts is very wrong IMO.
You see what you see in the graphics, I see what I see. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Was my analogy apt? yes, but a poor one. How many people are killed by drunk drivers and alcoholism every year yet we have to see ads everywhere on TV, billboards, magazines - so where is the outrage? It seems we save it only for sanctified events like 9/11.
So what will these kids learn from this debacle, something valuable or just to be more careful not to incite the mob?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Actually it's a good thing we don't all think alike.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

They aren't making assumptions. The sweatshirt wearers said that their intent was to provoke. They succeeded.
Note that the ones have what appears to be windows in them. They did represent the WTC towers.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I for one don't see anything offensive about this shirt.

I have seen many shirts with the twin towers on them, a bald eagle and flag in the background with several messages:

"These colors don't run."

"We will never forget"

etc.

I simply do not see the difference.

I think oversensitivity and the fact that the kids that wore them were of Arab Decent made it controversial. If this had been in some other part of the country and white kids wore them it would be looked at as being patriotic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join