It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweatshirt Sparks School Controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Wow, can you say poor taste. I don't have a problem with suspension. I wonder where the parents are in all of this?

www.clickondetroit.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I can see why folks might not like the sweatshirts, and yes they aren't in the best taste.

These kids were how old, 9-10 when 9-11 happened? If they remember it, they don't remember it the same way adults do, so I would tend to cut them some slack.

Chalk it up to poor taste and simply not allow them at school. Personally I could care less if they wore these kinds of sweatshirts.

If poor taste bothered me, I wouldn't be living in America still.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Interesting..... I'm not really sure what to think of this. If Caucasian or African American kids wore these and jeered at the Arabian kids, it might make more sense but be more racist. Since it was Arab-American kids wearing it, what does it mean? That they stand with America??

Anyway, it is poor taste. But the thing is so many kids today are not taught manners or where that line is. there are encouraged by a violent and borderless media to do anything they like, with no thought for others.

When shock is pushed farther and farther, there is nothing left that is sacred in this society. And the feelings of others are only for manipulation.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I love that shirt. I want one, where Can I buy one? I am so serious.

The Last time I checked the Untied States of America was about Freedom of Speech and Expression, Was the sweater in poor taste? Yes. Should they be penalized because we are an over sensitive society which cant make it through the day with-out some Valiums? Hell NO.... The right to be stupid is guaranteed under the First amendment....

I still want one of those sweater just because it caused such an uproar. I am willing to pay for it

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

I didn't really see it as simply a matter of poor taste. And again I wonder what the parents were thinking?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thats much better than the one i saw with the towers on fire, people jumping out and at the bottom it says

"It's raining men"

Now THATS poor taste.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This is what confuses me so much, i read daily on here how much people love the constitution and how it is the most perfect document on earth.

Yet when areas covered by the constitution are in poor taste or offensive the constitution goes straight out the window.

As tasteless as a mistake it was it is still freedom of expression, something i thought was covered.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ~Noam Chomsky

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There's a time and a place. I'm all for free expression including civil disobedience when it's warranted.

A school setting is neither the time nor place. It's disruptive and distracting.

As I look into this specific situation, it doesn't appear to me that he students were being intentionally disrespectful. If anything, it looks as though the intent was to show some solidarity with America on 9-11.

A moot point, as far as I'm concerned. It's distracting. I think suspension was overboard. I'd have had them remove the sweatshirts and make it clear they weren't to be worn during school.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Children in school, are under a different form of rule. Anything distracting is not allowed. Let's suppose for an instan that another student in that school had a relative that died in one of the twin towers. Said student whips one of their butts for wearing it, did it cause a distraction, did the student commit a hate crime, how much can the parents sue for, etc etc? It's not just a constitutional matter at that point.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yay government school!

Who knew babysitting the lowest common denominator could be so fun?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
So I guess jihadist extremist can do what they want as long as they hide behind there children and have there children do the acts.

creepingsharia.wordpress.com...

[*SNIP*]

Mod Edit: Removed link to graphic video.

You will not link to images or domains that contain gore or mutilation.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

If thats the case then every school child in the USA needs to wear school Uniforms, that would cut this stupid monkey # out, dont ya say....

I still want one of those shirts.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I am not seeing the issue.

I do not even think it is lacking in taste.

It says I am proud to be an American . . .

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I completely agree. There is time and place for everything. If the boys wanted to wear this outside of school, that is their constitutional right, But there are standards and rules in places we go, schools, churches, other people's homes.

That is not squashing anyone's rights, it is enforcing the rights of others in these places.

If someone came into my home and started spouting any sort of rhetoric I found offensive, I had every right to kick them out, that isn't squashing their rights it is protecting mine. The same goes for schools, it isn't just the manner-less children who have rights, what about the others?

Waving around the constitution is not a way to get around rules. The founding fathers would be appalled by these shirts, so standing behind the constitution won't wash.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Where does it say proud to be American?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is just stupid.

Class of twenty eleven sounds like nine eleven.
They made a tribute shirt with a claim to strength at the bottom.

This is a fine example of the pewsification of our nation.
People really need to grow a pair.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think school uniforms are an ideal situation, personally. Unfortunately, too many school-aged students lack any discernible parental oversight and pretty much do what they want. School isn't a place to distract from the core mission. The schools are having a difficult enough time as it is.

As to this particular shirt, no it doesn't say "I'm proud to be an American". It also doesn't say, "Let's knock over another one". Apparently the message is subject to interpretation. QED for it being prohibited as a distraction.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It can be interpreted a bunch of ways.

You can't bring us down as in what happened wont phase us. Or you cant bring us down as in we'll take them down again using the high school mascot, which is weird. Or, the mascot has no connection whatsoever to the towers. Or the image isnt meant to depict the towers so many are assuming it does.

Just as one can start running around yelling about it being "unpatriotic" another can spin the same image and claim it virulently jingoistic.

The image alone doesnt really have any meaning. Perhaps those interpreting it the "wrong way" should be suspended? Unless one of these kids comes out and says the meaning was intentionally anti-american we cant conclude the image actually is.

If anything, the only thing that may be safe to assume is that those interpreting the image as anti-american are getting their cue not from the image but from the ethnicity of those wearing the image.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

But to assume innocences of the picture based on no information is the same as assumeing guilt of the picture unless you figure out what the intentions of the children are. I only brought up the above links to show that children are not above being used as pawns for extremist.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It's a damn t-shirt!

If they allow other t-shirts with writing and drawing, then they allow the distractions that go with it.

This is not even political in nature!
If it said F U then yea, but this is nothing but pride and the comminality of the number 11.

Making a big deal of this is the problem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join