It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buffalo's debt collectors accused of bullying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Yahoo News Article

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- When Tobias "Bags of Money" Boyland went looking for a new career after serving 13 years in prison for armed robbery and drug dealing, he quickly found something that suited his sensibilities: He opened a collection agency.

Between 5,000 and 6,000 people earning $30,000 to $40,000 a year now work at roughly 110 collection agencies in and around Buffalo, an industry created with the help of seed money from the state of New York. The industry has been a rare economic bright spot in Buffalo, the nation's third-poorest city of its size, a place where 30 percent of the people live in poverty.

Yet, law enforcement and consumer groups point to a dark side: Buffalo, they say, has also become a center for some of the worst elements in the business. Debt collectors, some of them convicted felons, have illegally posed as lawyers or unlawfully browbeat people -- threatening to have them arrested or stripped of custody of their children -- to scare them into making payments.

It seems to me at the moment with the way the economy is, it is just getting worse and leading to more courruption. I mean a convicted felon that served 13 years in prison with armed robbery charges and others, was able to open up his own debt collection agency. The guy ended up getting arrested again in 2009.

Boyland himself was forced out of business and jailed in June after authorities said they caught him carrying a loaded, unlicensed pistol as they investigated more than 1,000 complaints about abusive tactics at his collection business.

Seems to me that people are going to try almost anything nowdays for money. I hope stuff like this dosent start showing up around my area.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Wait until they start organising gang stalkers to follow you everywhere in your life, destroying your life at every turn. People believe everything scum says, and these loons can wreck anyones life.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Its really quite easy to get "Dept management" personnel of your back here in the UK, Just tell them you have filled for voluntary insolvency and your solicitor has instructed you to forward all County court judgments to his practise.
Its enough for them to get the hint..
That's if its a small amount below £2000 sterling.. IMO

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
thats buffalo... people dont usually hear about that place except for its snow... but man they have a terrible murder rate, not to mention organized crime.... past that crackheads will break into your home while your there and rip the copper piping out of your basement. its pretty ridiculous

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus
thats buffalo... people dont usually hear about that place except for its snow... but man they have a terrible murder rate, not to mention organized crime.... past that crackheads will break into your home while your there and rip the copper piping out of your basement. its pretty ridiculous

I've lived just outside of Buffalo for over a year and I've never heard any of that. I don't think crime in Buffalo is any worse than crime in any other city.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

yeah thats the point you lived just outside of buffalo ... the east side of buffalo is one of the largest crime hotspots drugs of all kinds on every corner.

West side of buffalo is a bit better but is infested with crack prostitutes and high shool kids with guns claiming to be in gangs...

I lived on the west side for 10 years east side for 2 believe me its worse than you think

edit to add just recently there was a major bust that netted e, marijuana, and coc aine and 30 people were charged 5 from canada and 25 from buffalo ny.

as for organized crime (not involving drugs) the Tadaro family who owns LaNova Pizzeria use tax scams, bribes, Money laundering ..... I mean its just common knowledge in buffalo.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I hope stuff like this dosent start showing up around my area.

If you have rent-to-own stores in your area, and I'm sure you do, then it's going on now. Especially if they are local stores / chains.

Let's just say that I know of some that have done illegal things. But the people these things were done to would never go to the cops because they are also criminals.

It's all a racket.

new topics

top topics

join