It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama prods Congress to pass health bill quickly

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Yahoo News Article

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is prodding House and Senate Democrats to get him a final health care bill as soon as possible, encouraging them to bypass the usual negotiations between the two chambers in the interest of speed.

Obama delivered the message at an Oval Office meeting Tuesday evening with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his No. 2, Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., joined in by phone.

They agreed that rather than setting up a formal conference committee to resolve differences between health bills passed last year by the House and Senate, the House will work off the Senate's version, amend it and send it back to the Senate for final passage, according to a House leadership aide, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss the private meeting.

Once again, Obama and his group is saying just go ahead with it as fast as possible, and encourages the democrats to bypass the usual negotiations between the two chambers.

Stuff like this just makes me shake my head. No negotiations. Just pass it without talking about it.... I dont really know what to think other than just plain dissapointment.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This is supposed to be transparency? They're not even allowing Republicans, nor C-SPAN into the meetings. Not even after pleas from C-SPAN's CEO:

C-SPAN To Congress: Let Us In!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Cmon! this has been going on for over a nearly a year now! You can't possibly say they are railroading this through congress. Shesh Oh Pete!

And for the 5,947,986th time, if you believed that transparency lie, I have a bridge I would like to sell you. If you are obviously that gullible, well, you probably already have been had by Nigerian Bankers.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Oh yes, this bill is an emergency! Just like the stimulus bill! Look how that helped our economy. I can't wait to see what the health care bill will do. No really, everyone will have to wait because nobody and I mean NOBODY knows what the hell is in it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
They have to finish it up before everyone who sold their vote for this mess 'retires' like Dodd did.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
To me, transparency, as applied to this administration, can be defined as a lack of substance! Every voter in this nation should never forget Obama's pledge to have an open debate for healthcare reform. It has not happened yet and now Obama and his fellow Dems are meeting again today to play spin the bottle to determine how they are going to pay for this disaster.

Obama's incessant prodding makes me think that there is a chip in his brain that is about to detonate if Obamacare is not passed by mid January.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
And for the 5,947,986th time, if you believed that transparency lie, I have a bridge I would like to sell you. If you are obviously that gullible, well, you probably already have been had by Nigerian Bankers.

I may have misunderstood your post but it sounded like even though you agree the president lied it's okay because who really expected him to tell the truth?

What happens when this PoS bill gets passed and millions are still without healthcare?

It's not okay for these idiots in Washington to keep lying.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Wow so those town hall meetings never happened?

How quickly the American population forgets.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

What happens when this PoS bill gets passed and millions are still without healthcare?

It's not okay for these idiots in Washington to keep lying.

Why not? Bush lied tons of times, got us into two wars over those lies. But I didn't see many on the right flipping out over those lies.

I suppose we should stick a camera up each congressman's behind to be sure that we know when they pass gas right?

And this bill would have been much better off if the right and the insurance lobby didn't do everything in their power to completely ruin it. Now what we have is an mandatory insurance bill that makes it a crime not to have insurance, thank you GOP thank you Insurance Lobby. FnA

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

What was accomplished in those Town Hall Meetings? Nothing!! If anything, these clowns saw just how important this reform is to people. And yet the will of the majority of Americans is still being ignored. Those meetings were fluff. Meanwhile, behind closed doors, the deadly details of this reform have been drawn out by the Democrats ALONE. Bipartisan? NO. Is anyone listening to the majority of America?? NO!!

Case in point. Ben Nelson's vote of approval even though 60 plus percent of his constituents disapprove of the package that he voted for. 17% approve. He must have a severe build up of wax in his ears.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Good, the faster the bill is pass and become law, the faster we the people can challenge the law as unconstitutional in the supreme court, because it will be challenged.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

So let's see. President Bush lied.........so it's o.k. if Obama lies? So instead of expecting anything different from the man bringing "Change" to our great country, it's o.k., eh someone else did it. So, in understanding your point, after Obama's done in another 3 years, when the next president, probably Republican, comes into office, is it o.k. when he lies, I mean after all Obama did it? Or, better yet, it'll still jump Obama and be President Bushs fault? Nothing's gonna change following the status quo, or is that not part of the change Obama promised?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
They really do need to push it through. It's been dragging along far too long. Locking out the Republicans was a good start. As the Republicans have no intention in helping the millions of uninsured.

If the Republicans Attorney Generals sue over it, they will just further alienate the Reagan Republicans like myself. People that were once proud to be Republicans and are now embarrassed to even acknowledge they once supported the party.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Totally agree on those points. I dont see how the stimulus helped either. The stuff they say "pass now, or else" seems to do absolutely nothing in this administration. I dont even know whats in the bill anymore. I hear one thing and then another and critisizm on both sides. And I have not heard of many town hall meetings lately either. There was one in my county the other night that I went to, which was pretty good from what I heard there, but other than that, I havent really heard of any like it used to be months ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The town meetings are dying out because the whole issue of the tea party agenda was to discourage people from backing up socialized health care.

The problem is that is not longer socialized health care, actually it never was this all for the bailing out of the private insurance companies at the expenses of those that still have a job and pay taxes.

The poor is still uninsured and health care is not going to be free.

So actually the Tea parties are useless now, unless they start fighting for the mandatory take over our live by the private insurance

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
According to Pelosi, there has never been a more transparent process than that revolving around health care reform. What planet is she from anyway? Certaintly not planet earth.

The only reason they are trying to speed this through the approval process is because the bill is filled with so much manure that they dont want it to start stinking too bad, less the public catch on.

This bill is basically a covert bailout for the insurance companies...at the cost of the US taxpayer, and those who vote for it should be tried for treason.

Do you really want the IRS to be the enforcer for mandatory health care, with detailed information about every aspect of your life?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Angiras]

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Angiras]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

reply to post by jibeho

What was accomplished in those Town Hall Meetings? Nothing!! If anything, these clowns saw just how important this reform is to people. And yet the will of the majority of Americans is still being ignored. Those meetings were fluff. Meanwhile, behind closed doors, the deadly details of this reform have been drawn out by the Democrats ALONE. Bipartisan? NO. Is anyone listening to the majority of America?? NO!!

Case in point. Ben Nelson's vote of approval even though 60 plus percent of his constituents disapprove of the package that he voted for. 17% approve. He must have a severe build up of wax in his ears.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by jibeho]

Reality in Washington(or as I like to call it: the land of fruits and nuts) is subjective. It's like the old game liars club. Where everyone at the table adds to the last ones story,the lies keep building. These people have listened to themselves and their fellow liars to the point where the simple truth escapes them.
They have to move this health care scam with all expediency,to assure a good foothold for an unelected control mechanism,despite what the people really want.
This is the world we now live in.Our elected officals fear us far less than they fear the corporate money lobby.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The facts are:

The Senate Bill was on the internet to it's vote (transparency)

The House Bill was on the internet prior to it's vote (transparency)

There were town hall meetings where the constituency could tell their representatives how they felt (accessibility)

So even after all that transparency you all are still going to whine that there is not enough transparency?

Just because you didn't bother to get involved with the process doesn't mean that Obama lied. But, sure, Obama lied. Now let's compare that lie with Bush's lies..

Obama said the public will have 5 days to look at every bill that lands on my desk.

(not really a lie)

Bush said Saddam Hussein had weapons of Mass Destruction and was working with Al Qaeda.

(actually a lie)

So why is it important that the reconciliation process be televised? After all, both the house and senate must vote on the final bill once it leaves that dastardly closed door meeting and the final bill will be up on the internet for you all to read.

[edit on 1/6/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

So again if you could please, President Bush lied, so that makes it o.k. for Obama to? I'm just trying to figure out the logic in that.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

So again if you could please, President Bush lied, so that makes it o.k. for Obama to? I'm just trying to figure out the logic in that.

Does it say anywhere in the United States Constitution, that the POTUS will be under oath to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, under penalty of perjury? No it doesn't.

Yes, presidents lie, it really is ok, Bush lied, Clinton lied, Bush Sr. lied, Reagan lied, Carter lied, Ford lied, Nixon lied, etc...

I don't recall one of Obama's campaign promises telling us that he was never going to lie.

Lying and politics go hand and hand. If after god knows how long, of presidents lying to us, you haven't figured out to take what they promise with a grain of salt, you probably shouldn't be debating politics. I mean by all means expose the lies, but don't act shocked that they lied. That's just being naive.

The right is acting like a politician lying is some brand new thing, that all of a sudden Obama is the first politician in the history of government to ever say an untrue word. Is it ok that Obama lied? Sure it is, if he only told the truth, I sure as hell wouldn't trust him, because there would be something seriously wrong with that man.

Definitely expose the lies, just don't act shocked that he lied.

As far as those that say that this is being railroaded through congress, this bill was supposed to have been passed into law by last August. Here we are in January, and it still hasn't passed. So obviously this isn't being ramrodded through our legislative branch.

Is this bill a good one? Hell no! In my opinion this bill sucks. Fines for not getting insurance, no pubic option, forced to buy some insurance from some company. This sucks, if it were up to me this bill would get thrown away. Hell, the probability that I will loose my job as soon as this bill goes into effect is 99% cause my boss isn't going to buy insurance for his employees, he will hire only his family members or people he can pay under the table to work for him. So this bill really sucks.

Just don't give me that crap that it hasn't been an open process, or that it's going through too quickly. Cause those are larger lies than the President has been saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join