It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self destructing Supernova explosion may wipe out earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I just read an article that has sent alarming bells down my spine, a statement like this should not be so easily taken for granted or at least ignored.

It is a worthy research that these astronomers may need for the sake of our planet and humanity continue to investigate upon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52dd991f1bd5.png[/atsimg]

A STAR is primed to explode in a blast that could wipe out the Earth, according to American astronomers. A new study shows the star, called T Pyxidis, is much closer than previously thought at 3,260 light-years away - a short hop in galactic terms.

It is set to self-destruct in an explosion called a supernova with the force of 20 billion billion billion megatons of TNT. The blast from the thermonuclear explosion could strip away the Earth's ozone layer that keeps out deadly space radiation, scientists said.

The doomsday scenario was described today by astronomers from Villanova University in Philadelphia. They said the International Ultraviolet Explorer satellite has shown them that T Pyxidis is really two stars, one called a white dwarf that is sucking in gas and steadily growing. When it reaches a critical mass it will blow itself to pieces

Source (link fixed): supernova set to explode and wipe out earth

[edit on 1/6/2010 by krystalice]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I saw something like this in an episode of the Universe..they said it happnt before and caused a major extinction event.

I wouldnt be to scared though because they are very rare.

cheers

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
If it's 3260 light years away, and what we are "seeing " is that it hasn't exploded yet, won't it take at least 3260 years to affect us ?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by krystalice

Link doesn't work. That particular star group has "novaed" in 1890, 1902, 1920, 1944 and 1967, it is overdue. It's a recurring nova system, which in of itself is pretty weird. No one knows why it hasn't Nova'ed again, raising the concerns it might really blow up bad.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Oh wait I get it now...
this is all going to take place on Dec of 2012 right?

You do know before there was talk of a meteor hitting the earth and wiping out the dinosaurs the prevailing thought was a Gama ray burst did them in...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

try clicking this link
Super Nova story

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
These studies are not very accurate. i've heard many similar events that could happen and the most probable were solar flares frying earth in hours (the same as in 2012 movie). I don't think earth will be completely destroyed as i believe the universe is alive and will always keep balance.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
These studies are not very accurate. i've heard many similar events that could happen and the most probable were solar flares frying earth in hours (the same as in 2012 movie). I don't think earth will be completely destroyed as i believe the universe is alive and will always keep balance.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ukmadmax

What we see is the light from stars -- it's like looking into the past. Some of the stars we see at night might not even exist any longer.

That doesn't mean that this event will happen soon within context of our lifetimes, or that it won't, however T Pyxidis could have gone supernova a thousand Earth-years ago, and the light of that event is yet incoming. Remember that the light-year is a unit of distance, not time.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukmadmax
If it's 3260 light years away, and what we are "seeing " is that it hasn't exploded yet, won't it take at least 3260 years to affect us ?

Funny.

Listen, what if it blew up 3259 years ago? You wouldn't see or know that until next year. And, you do realize that once you see it, it's already here, with more affects on the way, right? What you see today is 3260 years ago. What happened at that star 3259 years ago will arrive HERE next year.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
You don't have to worry about it for at least other 3,260 years.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slih_09
You don't have to worry about it for at least other 3,260 years.

Another funny.

Listen, what if it blew up 3259 years ago? HUM? We won't know that until next year, and then it WILL BE HERE. What you are looking at NOW happened ALREADY 3260 years ago.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Link has been fixed now. Personally I think it does not matter how long an information like this may potentially occur, but it is valid enough to have us rethink of what we could do to save our ozone layer if such disaster was to occur.

Ideas passed generation through to generation without any or very little action will only inhibit more complexities down the track if this scenario was really to occur.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Oh wait I get it now...
this is all going to take place on Dec of 2012 right?

You do know before there was talk of a meteor hitting the earth and wiping out the dinosaurs the prevailing thought was a Gama ray burst did them in...

This has nothing to do with 2012. This is a recent theory and proposed discovery by professional astronomers.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by krystalice
This has nothing to do with 2012.

Why not? If that star exploded 3258 years ago, it's affects would be arriving here just in time for the 2012 doom party, would it not?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus

Why not? If that star exploded 3258 years ago, it's affects would be arriving here just in time for the 2012 doom party, would it not?

I would appreciate a formula of your theory, if you really are serious about what you are saying because I am not totally getting that ball figure

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ukmadmax

Funny.

Listen, what if it blew up 3259 years ago? You wouldn't see or know that until next year. And, you do realize that once you see it, it's already here, with more affects on the way, right? What you see today is 3260 years ago. What happened at that star 3259 years ago will arrive HERE next year.

How can the influence of the explosion reach us faster than the speed of light ?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kepler
...I don't think earth will be completely destroyed as i believe the universe is alive and will always keep balance.

Even if the Universe is alive, does it really care what happens to a "tiny speck of dust" like the Earth? That would be like you caring about what happens to just one of the cells in your body.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Even if we did see the star disappear or explode in this year i doubt it very much that we would feel it's effects in just a couple of years. Those things don't travel at light speed or close to it.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Im not worried 3000 lights years is a long way. There loads of stuff inbetween that. the shockwave has no way in hell reaching us, and any gamma ray burst would just be difused on anyother stars inbetween here and there.
I read someone that a supernova anything less than 1000 light years with its polls at us would pretty much melt our eyeballs and your organs before you got half way screamig "OHOHHHHH FFUUUUU-" the ozone would of been knocked off and the planet boiled to a sinder. niicee

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join