It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism... The truth under the skin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Racism is the belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.[1] In the case of institutional racism, certain racial groups may be denied rights or benefits, or get preferential treatment.

Definition from Wikipedia / en.wikipedia.org...

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Definition for Webster / www.merriam-webster.com...

Racism is a certainty in the American way of life. It is unfortunate that our country has fallen plague to such an atrocity. While reading a thread here on ATS, www.abovetopsecret.com... , it seemed to me that everyone missed the underlying issue with this. We all like to go around pretending that racism is not as large of a problem as it actually is. Of course as expected everyone started talking about how the news anchor was (insert descriptive word of choice) and completely missed that the actions the news anchor took were racist in themself. It was assumed that because the polotician was white and the First Lady (in case you did not already know) is black that race played a part in the statement. That is racism and the reason that it will always exist in our country. We cannot get rid of the problem until we recognize all the ways that it exist. Not defined and IMO just as racist would be assuming someone is acting on racist belief because of their race. Also not defined would be behaving in a manor other than normal on the fear of being percieved as racist or by extorting that fear to gain favor based upon your race. Without discouraging all forms of racism it will always be.

Scenerio 1: A male works nights at a convienient store. It is normal practice to them to lock the doors and use a drive up window to do business durnig the night. However, a male (of a different race) comes to the window and asks if he can come in. The clerk at first refuses but then because the male outside is of a different race than him lets him into the store in order not to appear to of made a racial assumption.

If the clerk would not of let him in would it of been because or race? Even though it is standard for them to lock the door, the clerk would of been accused of being racist anyways. It was his fear in this in which he acted other than normal. What if the customer was aware of this and took advantage of it? Are these not all forms of racism?

Scenerio 2: A male walks into a doctors office at noon. He does not have an appointment but walk-ins are welcomed. And 12:30 p.m. A male of another race comes in and sits down. The male that came in second has an appointment and is called first. The male that was at the office first imediatly attacks the staff and says "it is because I am (insert your choice) right?"

We have all seen this one played out in one form or another. It is automatically assumed that because of their race they are ignored. I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they walked in and the other one had an appointment. Is this not racism?

On a side note and ironic to say the least. Is it not the ones that your hear saying "it is because I am (whatever)" that also acuse everyone else of being racist. Which by the idea infront of you and the example of the news anchor would actually make them just as racist. Just something to think about.

We will never remove racism beacuse in one way or another we are all at fault. Black, White, Pink or Purple we all play a role.

Mods: Please move to a better location if this one is not the right one. I had no clue on this one. I usually do not get involved in threads of this nature.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
if you think america is the most racist country out there i think you have got your head stuck DEEP in the sand there buddy.

people are racist, there's nothing you can do to stop that. it's one of the few natural born rights that people have. it's everywhere, not just america. (in case youdidn't know that)

america is one of the only places where people take it for granted (sometimes) taht racism shouldn't happen. in lots of places it's just expected that your own kind will look after itself first and foremost.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Yes the other parts of the world are just as racist if not more so. I agree. I personally found the extent that Asia is with it quite remarkable. I am not saying that America is the only nation that has this issue as if we cornered the market. I am simply saying that there are multiple forms of racism and we need to recognize all of them.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
i was surprised when i first visited the US. racism appeared much more than i though. i mean black and white!! damn. they still hate each other.
in my home country, lebanon, racism thru religion also exists, between christians and muslims. although they've been living together for hundred of years, people still categorize.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
well racism sucks but it's just a fact of life. there's so many people on this planet we have the luxury of alienating ourselves. if there were far fewer people i'm sure we'd all be happy with whatever we could get but that just istn' the case.

people are a dime a dozen and race is just as good an issue to discrimnate on as any other.

would you rather peole start discriminating by intelligence? or penis size? i'm sure you'd much rather be a victim due to the color of your skin right? imagine going to a job interview and having to drop your pants or take an iq test. you'd be begging to be judged by your skin.

i think i understand what youre' saying but racism, like most things, is a symptom. it's just part of being human. we're programmed to look after ourselves.

of course that doesn't mean that i agree with beating, killing, raping or doing any other crime in the name of racism. that would be masking your personal disgust for yoruself and taking it out on others. or w/e psychological problem that would be considered as.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KFISHCC

Racism is a world-wide problem. One good thing I can say about America, we aren't eating people because their skin color is different....world-news.newsvine.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Good point. I am not saying America is the worse by any means. I just want racism to be called what it is. I have served next to all different races and to think that you are more qualified, capable or deserving because of race is just way of base IMO. I hate when someone regardless of reason pulls that race card out. Or accuses someone else of being racist. If we call it for what it is then those pointing the fingers are just as guilty. Until this is realized then it will never cool down. Racism will always be no mater what. It would just be nice to stop seeing it all the time.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KFISHCC

Definitely. I wish more people would converse realistically about race and human relations, instead of just using it as a devisive issue. We could all profit from that. S&F, good OP.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by butcherguy]

new topics

top topics

join