It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pay back £2.3billion or we'll derail EU bid, Gordon Brown warns Iceland

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Actually, the UK (and the Dutch..it's not just us you know) have alot of recourse. Both nations hold veto power in the IMF, so when iceland goes cap in hand for another loan, they will get the response:

"Computer say's no....."

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a record number of britains voted for BNP this year, for those of you that dont know who they are, they are a fashist, racist extremist political group who are trying to squeez out as many votes from frustrated british citzens who are hopelessly fed up of the incompetence of the current political leaders.

BNPs only real agender is to export or kill all the forein non britist caucasion white people in the UK, if they had the military power, theyde probably try a bit of racial clensing of the entire planet. in summary BNP discusts me. and its incompitent party leaders like gordon brown who frustrate us that much some people turn to voting for radicalists. STOP IT gordon you fat ugly man your as good as sven gor erikson was at managing our football team.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Sounds like blackmail to me....

Depends on the agreement for the 2.3billion pounds. Did Iceland miss a payment or what?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

No, they just didn't pay. There was an agreement in place when the Icelandic banks collapsed that the Uk (and the Netherlands) would cover the losses to UK (and Dutch) investors and be paid back at a later date. Now they have gone back on that deal and think they don't have to pay.

We'll see about that. I'd expect nothing less from other states if the Uk did the same. After all, we only paid off our WW2 loans to the US a couple of years ago, I'm sure the States would have been quite upset if we'd not bothered to pay them back.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

OHHHH...OK well that sheds light on it. Thats a lot of money to think that you ain;t gotta pay back.

Thanks for the facts on that

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

And if you combined the entire European Union, in terms of IMF percentage, the EU has the largest vote share in the IMF. The computer will not only say no (God bless Little Britain!) but the receptionist will not even answer the phone...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for Iceland.

Oh, I agree! I wish we could annex the country, but you know...the Empire ruined all the fun.

The President of Iceland has to promise to pay up today, however, I don't see what the point of a referendum if we will still get the money. Probably wanted to see how determined Britain was.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Why should the state pay for the actions of private entities like banks? The profits of the banks were not public and their debts should not be either. People form UK, the Netherlands and other countries made a bad investment and lost their money. It happens all the time.

It is usually safe to say that the higher the return offered the higher the risk of the product. Investors made a risky bet and they lost it.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
if men like this can threaten an entill nation, doesn't that mean that they already rule the world? or at least most of it...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Give em hell, Iceland.

Don't take no crap from no bully, especially the bully that got you into the mess in the first place!

Print your own money Iceland, and exist in peace as a leader to other countries.

Didn't Argentina give the schtick to the IMF a while back too?

There are more countries than Iceland that are going to start having to make decisions like these, hell isn't half the world's countries bankrupt right now?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by WormwoodHour
Why should the state pay for the actions of private entities like banks? The profits of the banks were not public and their debts should not be either. People form UK, the Netherlands and other countries made a bad investment and lost their money. It happens all the time.

Well I wouldn't consider a bank deposit an investment in the same way that you'd complain if your stocks tanked.

If I deposit money in a bank, and it goes out of business, I shouldn't lose that money.

Iceland must have some deposit insurance like the FDIC.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
Give em hell, Iceland.

Don't take no crap from no bully, especially the bully that got you into the mess in the first place!

Erm, how is the UK responsible for the Iceland government expanding their financial section?

I believe it was President Nixon, who used the phrase "Let's make their economy scream"

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Why in hell, should the taxpayers of Iceland pay foreign governments when private banks collapse??? They were all complicit; it was a meshed network of skull-duggery, corruption and extortion.

I was outraged hearing that Kent council had ~£200Million stashed in Icesave accounts. Surely that's taxpayers money to be used for bin collections, policing, salt reserves for snow every 30 years, etc.

When it all goes tits up, Brown starts flexing his non-elected muscles. What a turnip - the hypocrisy is abominable.

The compensation amounts to ~12,000Euros for each citizen of Iceland (nation of 316,960).

Would you be happy as an Icelandic citizen, been asked to pay for a banks mistake; nay scrap that, we already did.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi everybody! I'm from Iceland and this is my first post on here, been reading this site for 5-6 years, finally thought i'd throw my 2 cents in the debate

1st...
why should I be responsible for paying back the debts of a Private company?
I honestly had nothing to do with this whole thing at all.
It's maybe 25 icelanders who are responsible for the downfall of my country's economy.
The UK prime minister then went on and made it worse by declaring the anti-terrorist laws against us , hence claiming we're terrorists and putting me in the same boat as al-quada..
And as for our president, he's been a hero lately. He literally went and KO'd mister Paxman who has been known for good research and usually getting the upper hand when interviewing people, but maan..this was great! (+ he wasn't informed of the real situation at all, i felt let down)

Now on to the big question.
Of course we are going to pay back the depth, we're not savage thieves, BUT the whole referendum was simply because we do not approve of the existing deal. That deal would send us back to the middle ages and we got forced into agreeing on it.
The plan is to de-activate this current deal and negotiate a new one, that is on better terms and one we can actually afford to pay back..that's what it's all about!

Btw. I hope this will not effect the way dutch, british and icelandic people tread each other, no reason to be fighting just because our governments aren't the best of friends at the moment.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hi I am also from Iceland.
I got email this morning and video included, about this subject.

I think this video explain most of this.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
In Holland we're in the same boat as the English, so the Icelanders dont pay? but we Dutch and English taxpayers should?... for Icesave?...Ok we have more taxpayers to spread the burden but they[government/parliament] made a promise, i also stand behind Browns threats...otherwise we might use something else as security/collateral[geothermal energy?]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Foppezao]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Foppezao]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Agreed.
We should we bail out a bank that, whose government promised, to pay for its poor failings and operations? Iceland should pay up.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
A little update:

Iceland has not received her new loans from the IMF - they have been blocked. Icelandic Finance Minister denies falling into default - but with no money coming into the public pot, it's likely a default is coming.

Iceland's credit rating is now "junk"

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Getting as far away as humanly possible from the tentacles of the IMF can only be a good thing for Iceland in the long run.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join