It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POSITIVE aspects of long economic malaise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
OK, fellow doom-and-gloomers, here's a challenge for us all: let's brainstorm some POSITIVE aspects to a lengthy moribund economy -- if any.

Let's assume that the economy (wherever you happen to be living) isn't going to improve significantly for awhile. Not this year, not next year. Maybe in 5 years. Maybe in 10 years. Heck, the Japanese economy has been rotting for TWENTY YEARS NOW. December 29 was the twenty-year anniversry of the all-time Nikkei high: 38,957.44. As of this writing, its at 10,731.45. So long-term malaise is possible.

And things could get even worse.

So....with this in mind, can we think of any positive possible aspects to this?

For example, imagine a return to a more community-centered, less materialistic lifestyle. I'm not talking North Korea here...I mean something like the US/European standard of living in the 50s, say. That was a much more spartan world. People on the whole dressed nicely, interacted more politely, were more physically fit. People did more with their hands, moved around more, had a positive attitude about themselves even if they weren't millionaires. The family was stronger, both nuclear and extended. People spent less money on plastic crap and spent more time reading in libraries. And so on.

I'm not saying life in the 50s was perfect (far from it). Nor am I saying a poorer world is a better world (far from it). Japan as a whole cannot be said to be a happier, healthier society than it was in the 1980s. But then again, perhaps, neither can America...despite the fact that the economy has had several strong booms since then. All I want to do with this thread is open a crack to let in a sliver of light in what might be dark days ahead. It's mentally healthy for all of us cranky pessimists (which I know I certainly am).

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Yes, I believe that if we don't get back into the community, we are done. People are too removed from others, too interested in money, and too unenlightened.

We are the human race - if we do not stand by each other we are doomed.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
We're living in the age of 'not responsible'. The '50s' were the age of personal responsibility, which was followed by age of anything goes.

To see what life would be like with '50s' financials today, take a look at low income areas. With no good job prospects people wouldn't bother to pay for college education. That '50s' ideal mom in apron would instead be an uneducated bitter woman with an eye for a few quick bucks, and she wouldn't be going to pilates workouts.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Read and reap: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Less disruptions to pristine beaches. Less deforestation. Less tourists to spread sexually transmitted diseases lol. Less pollution. Less accidents on the road as idiot American drivers will have no choice but to walk...

As I've said in another thread, more suffering = more intresting character?

new topics

top topics

join