It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"NEWS" ADY GIL Whale protest boat 'cut in half'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

This is another view, even better. I'll say though that while at first it may look like the whalers turn into the Ady Gil, without a point of perspective it impossible to tell from that angle who is maneuvering or maintaining course.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
reply to post by Duzey

I don't think it's quite that clearcut because the Ady Gil was to starboard of the Japanese ship when struck and also it was stationary in the water when the whaler turned to port and aimed directly toward its cabin. The story from the survivors is that they managed to get the engines going and reverse just enough to avoid what would surely have been a multiple fatality. The most damning evidence against the Japanese ironically was filmed from onboard their own ship and posted on the internet - it was quickly pulled but not before being downloaded which is why we can all see for ourselves exactly what happened.

They were to starboard and the ROR dictate that the whalers were in a position to give way, but the Ady Gil had continuously put itself in a position of peril on the bow of a larger and less maneuverable vessel. The Ady Gil was under power though and they were moving forward, not backwards. It is indicated by the propwash, with one final large burst of thrust at the end which really appears to be them intentionally getting into position to be hit.

I can't say that the whaling ship didn't turn to hit them, but at the end of the original video in the rear-facing shots the wake of the whaling ship does not have a shrp turn visible from the vessel's starboard side as one would expect from a vessel making a hard turn.

posted on Jan, 19 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Lots of different opinions

www.news.com.au...

Whaling row could put defence accord at risk

The REAL reason Aus won't do anything about the whaling...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Maritime NZ are investigating all the video including some from Sea Shepherd (idiots for releasing it) showing the Ady Gil doing passes in front of japanese ships bows and generally flouting every highsea law in existence. Im sure SS original intentions were good but they just become a bunch of dangerous dickheads who use donations from wealthy people to continue their life pof protest (if it isn't this it would be something else).

Just watch the results of the investigations and you'll see SS lambasted fro flauting maritime laws over and over. The funny part is, some of the evidence is fro thier own video releases. What a bunch of idiots!!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
my smart rse reply would have been davy jones and this is my locker bwahhaha

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeepBlueSeas

Originally posted by Pilgrum
reply to post by Duzey

I don't think it's quite that clearcut because the Ady Gil was to starboard of the Japanese ship when struck and also it was stationary in the water when the whaler turned to port and aimed directly toward its cabin. The story from the survivors is that they managed to get the engines going and reverse just enough to avoid what would surely have been a multiple fatality. The most damning evidence against the Japanese ironically was filmed from onboard their own ship and posted on the internet - it was quickly pulled but not before being downloaded which is why we can all see for ourselves exactly what happened.

They were to starboard and the ROR dictate that the whalers were in a position to give way, but the Ady Gil had continuously put itself in a position of peril on the bow of a larger and less maneuverable vessel. The Ady Gil was under power though and they were moving forward, not backwards. It is indicated by the propwash, with one final large burst of thrust at the end which really appears to be them intentionally getting into position to be hit.

I can't say that the whaling ship didn't turn to hit them, but at the end of the original video in the rear-facing shots the wake of the whaling ship does not have a shrp turn visible from the vessel's starboard side as one would expect from a vessel making a hard turn.

You're both right, it's not that clearcut, and it appears to me that both vessels were partially at fault. The Ady Gil was motionless for a while but I do see a larger amount of white foam behind the Ady Gil suddenly appear a short time before the collision. They claim to be backing up but when you're backing up the propwash doesn't fall behind the boat like that, it looks more like they were going forward, rather than reverse.

And at the beginning of both videos from different perspectives, the Japanese vessel is to port and whether it turned to aim for the Ady Gil or not, it certainly had ample opportunity to avoid the collision by turning slightly to port. It does look like they turned to starboard but it wasn't a hard turn, just enough to graze the Ady Gil.

If the purpose of the Ady Gil was to get attention, I guess they got some. But for 2 million dollars, you can't get get a cabin on your boat or something to protect you from the elements? Looks like the whole crew is exposed to the elements, just wearing wet suits or something? Or is there a cabin and they just aren't inside it?

I don't know all the legalities of the "research" whaling, but according to the beginning of this video:

they claim that the Japanese whaling operation is actually poaching in violation of international law, so it's more like an enforcement operation where they are doing the Aussie government's job for them, rather than than a protest which is what I thought it was.

But this is just posturing I believe, as they aren't sanctioned to perform enforcement activities and enforcers of the law wouldn't flaunt it and fly the jolly roger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join